Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
Problem removing front brake rotor

Hey everyone,

I ran into a problem last night and would like to know if anyone has a solution.

I was changing out the front rotors and pads on my 07' HB, and got the driver's side done just fine, but when I went over to the pass. side, I couldn't get the rotor off. The driver's side rotor just slipped of like cake, but the pass. side won't budge! I ended up just putting the driver's side OEM rotor back on (ran out of light), but I'm determined to get them changed next Monday.

Is there a trick for the pass. side rotor that I'm missing? Is the thing just corroded on there (didn't look any better or worse than the driver's side), or is there a hidden set screw or something that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for the replies!
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
kou

Drives: 08 lb
did you try the BFH.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
jkuchta

For like 30 min. I talked to a tech at Toyota Glendora this morning and hes said that one of both rotors sticking is pretty common, and that there are two M8 threaded holes in the rotor that I can use to force the rotor off of the spindle. I can't wait to try it!
Old 10-28-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
battleversiontc

Drives: 08 vip yaris
try hit the center lightly with a hammer on the top not the top of the rotor but the top of the center as sometimes they get stuck on there so you gotta give it a little tap to kinda budge it loose
mecp masters certified
battleversiontc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 PM   #5
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuchta
For like 30 min. I talked to a tech at Toyota Glendora this morning and hes said that one of both rotors sticking is pretty common, and that there are two M8 threaded holes in the rotor that I can use to force the rotor off of the spindle. I can't wait to try it!
^^^^^you need to be careful as you can strip the bolt you're using to "push" the rotor and if it is really seized good, the following is your safest and best option:

IF you are replacing (getting rid of the stock rotor) your best bet to avoid damaging anything is to:

- take everything off down to the rotor

- place two lugnuts on studs across from each other and thread them up finger tight

- turn the hub out as far as possible

- take a BIG faced hammer and beat away from the car on the inside face of the rotor (the place the pad touches)

- don't stay in one place; every hit you should turn the axle/rotor until the rotor comes loose

a good little bit of advice rub the bearing housing/axle end lip/flange with anti-seize
(where the rotor center sits)
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:09 PM   #6
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Spray it down with some PB Blaster, works like a charm. Trick is to go back and spray it again after 15min. Give it a good 1/2 hour to seep in.
I did this on rear discs on my Saturn. Those things were like bonded in place. PB Blaster took care of it!
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
jonismyname

Drives: 08 liftback 5spd
the real trick is using never sieze when you put it all back together. after swinging a 5lb sledge like a baseball bat to do brakes on my metro, i listened to the good advice, and am glad i did. use it where steel wheels meet the hub too, and i like it on lug nuts and anything else i can use up the big jar on...

the set screw's won't do you a bit of good, 8mm=small=broken bolt/stripped.

it's hammer time, and PB works fantastic too
jonismyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:41 AM   #8
Shroomster

well update?

oh and jonismyname - please use the anti-seize SPARINGLY it reduces friction and torque drastically if too much is applied. just a very small amount goes a long way permatex reps (makers of all sorts of gasket/sealent/adhesive materials) have done numerous demos at my job and school on products including antiseize and bonding (loctite) stuff
Old 11-01-2008, 04:47 AM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
1) Light a quarter stick of dynamite
2) Toss in wheel well
3) Watch anxiously w/ hands clasped
4) Retrieve your rotor

No, seriously, I remember from doing mine that one side threw us for a loop for about 10 minutes. You just aren't hitting it hard enough. Also, ditto on the never seize.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #10
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
ok i have ran into this before...check the front of the rotors it should have 2 or 3 small holes with threads in it..you have to find a bolt that fits them hole and wrench it.. the bolt will push the rotors away from the base. bingo..that what those holes are for..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #11
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Spray it down with some PB Blaster, works like a charm. Trick is to go back and spray it again after 15min. Give it a good 1/2 hour to seep in.
I did this on rear discs on my Saturn. Those things were like bonded in place. PB Blaster took care of it!

This works great..
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #12
jkuchta

I'll be getting to it on Monday. PB and a few bolts should do the trick. I'll take pics. and post when I'm done.

Thanks again everyone for the advice!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:18 AM   #13
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Drives: Yaris S HB & Yaris S SD
Get rubber hammer or is it called mallet don't know and hit around the rotor since it's rubber it won't damage anyting and cost about 5 bucks it'll pop off
Old 11-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
RagnaCaT, he tried that for about a half hour with no luck. I watched. The rotor just didn't want to come off that way.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #15
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
USE a bolt on the rotor holes.. thats why them hole is there to push the rotor away from the base..just use a bolt that will fit
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #16
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Drives: Yaris S HB & Yaris S SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
RagnaCaT, he tried that for about a half hour with no luck. I watched. The rotor just didn't want to come off that way.
Wow and here at home it's very rainy sometimes, well he's best shot is what marcus is explaining
Old 11-04-2008, 12:53 AM   #17
Shroomster

well didja get it off yet?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #18
jkuchta

With the two bolts the stuck rotor popped right off! It seems as though the rotor fused itself to the center of the axel (what would be the centering ring for the wheel). A little anti-seize should fix that. I totally forgot to take pics of the new rotors, though I can say that slotted rotors and the XP8 pads make for some pretty crazy stopping power! The wife's yaris still has the stock setup, and I've nearly gotten in trouble braking a little late in some instances. I'll post a full review in the next day or so.