Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Fuel Tank problem

Hi everyone,

Here's my issue. We have a ton of pot holes here so this doesn't surprise me but - the other day I started to hear this knocking sound coming from the rear passenger side. I didn't think anything of it, as when it gets cold, I tend to hear a lot of creeks and such. But this kept on going and this morning I had a peek under the car, and I saw something bad.

There's a piece of metal that is covering the bottom of the fuel tank, and its coming off. I don't know if this is a critical piece but I would like to fix this ASAP. Anyone know what this piece is for? Should I be extra worried? I have a road trip planned for next weekend so any help is appreciated!

Note: I am brining to my dealer but they are booked until next week.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
a picture would help.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
a picture would help.
I tried taking a couple of pics, but because there's so much snow you can't see much of anything except a blur. Basically its a metal sheet that's covering a small area of the fuel tank. I think it's actually to protect the plastic tank against the exhaust heat.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If it's the one that covers the corner of the tank, where the exhaust passes by, then it is there to protect the tank from heat. There are three mounting points - One is a bolt, the second is a nut that also holds the floor heat shield, and the third is a plastic pop-clip like the ones that hold the bumpers on.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
If it's the one that covers the corner of the tank, where the exhaust passes by, then it is there to protect the tank from heat. There are three mounting points - One is a bolt, the second is a nut that also holds the floor heat shield, and the third is a plastic pop-clip like the ones that hold the bumpers on.
Yes, that is the one. The bolt/nut that is connecting it to the fuel tank is missing (looks like it's in the middle of the shield).

Do you think the knocking noise I am hearing is the nut rolling around inside the fuel tank?? Yikes.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
devinlamothe

OK I've tried to get a better pic - it's hard to see but I have an arrow pointed to the piece that's not attached to the fuel tank anymore.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
Yes, that is the one. The bolt/nut that is connecting it to the fuel tank is missing (looks like it's in the middle of the shield).

Do you think the knocking noise I am hearing is the nut rolling around inside the fuel tank?? Yikes.
No - I think the knocking is the shield flapping against the tank and/or the tail pipe. The bolt doesn't actually go into the tank.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I just snapped a picture under mine (mine's in the garage, so no snow to deal with). Are you missing the nut in the middle of the picture, or are you missing one of the clips that holds the shield to the flange of the tank?

Old 01-31-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
CT;
Good lookin' out with that pic....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:11 PM   #10
devinlamothe

Looks like I am missing the nut in the middle and one of the plastic clips. Plus it looks like mine is pretty bent up. :(
Old 02-01-2009, 03:51 AM   #11
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I would say its that piece rattling against the tank or underbody, must have been a good hole.
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
Looks like I am missing the nut in the middle and one of the plastic clips. Plus it looks like mine is pretty bent up. :(
Wow! Take a close look and make sure the tank isn't damaged at all. You should be able to throw a washer and not on the stud to keep it from flapping, until you have a chance to go to the dealership to get a replacement clip and the OEM flanged nut.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
devinlamothe

Tank isn't damaged as mine looks like its made from heavy duty plastic. I'm just worried that it's going to fall off and have to pay for a new one lol. I will try placing a washer and nut on and see if that helps.

Today the snow is melting so I will try and get a better picture of what I am talking about.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #14
devinlamothe

Just as an update I did go to the dealer and they said it looked like I must have hit a big chunk of ice as there was no visible damage as to why it was hanging.

But I can now report that there is no more rattling and everything is quiet again! :)
Old 02-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #15
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
nice to hear!!! now get some exhaust so you dont have to worry about other noises..lolz..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote