Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #19
JonS

Drives: 2009 3 door Liftback
Ouch, that sucks. I have no clue if it was the call from Customer Care to the dealer that made em honor the deal or if I just lucked out.
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #20
deerebilt

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan S
my oe toyota filter was $25.00
deerebilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #21
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Both of my Yaris's didn't come with the filter. I also had a 2005 Tacoma that didn't come with a filter either. I talked to several different people from Toyota and they said a cabin air filter is newer concept that most Americans are not used to. Meaning that most Americans know they must change the oil and oil filter by now but they are not educated about the cabin air filter yet. If Toyota put one in there, a lot of DIYers would not know that they also need to change the cabin air filter. Over time their AC would probably go out from the cabin air filter being completely clogged. What percentage of Yaris owners (non yarisworld members) even know what a cabin air filter is? I'm guessing it would be a high percentage.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #22
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I still can't see why I'd ever want one. I drive around town with open windows a lot, anyway. And when the air conditioner's on, I quickly go to recirculated air that wouldn't benefit from filtration. I think it's a strange idea. When I'm outside of the car I don't put a filter on my face. Why do I need to filter that air to let it in the car? Somebody with obsessive-compulsive disorder must've invented this thing.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #23
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Actually, the filter isn't just for recirculated air ! It also filters air from the outside. Seen plenty of exterior debris caught in my DIY cabin air filter. That thing gets worse than the engine air filter. Enough to make you sick you were breathing the air without that filter in place. I made 4 out of the wrong size filter with scissors, just putting it next to one I had already made. Works fine.

I've posted this pic before, but here is a 3 month old filter.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:38 AM   #24
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Yeah, like I said recirculated air wouldn't benefit from filtration. That air's already in the car. And with windows open nothing's getting filtered. Do you walk around with a face mask on? Anything you leave sitting around, let alone blow air through, is going to get dusty. I don't see what the benefit is.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #25
JonS

I dont know, after seeing Astromans pic, it seems like a no brainer. Why not let a filter do some of the cleaning so the vac doesn't have to later. Yeah, if your windows are down all the time or you're never on recirc. then maybe it's not going to help. Keeps crap out, that's obvious. But then again, I have screens on my house windows to keep mosquitos out, too. Probably don't need them, but I don't like the itch.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #26
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Yeah, like I said recirculated air wouldn't benefit from filtration. That air's already in the car. And with windows open nothing's getting filtered. Do you walk around with a face mask on? Anything you leave sitting around, let alone blow air through, is going to get dusty. I don't see what the benefit is.
The filter DOES filter recirculated air too! For less than $13 at wal-mart I made six filters in 20 minutes. Oh, that filter, only used recirculate 40% of the time. It's not a gimick the parts department came up with, seriously, look at mine. The dust inside a car is worse than good 'ol outside air. Within days I used to have a considerable amount of dust in the car, it's been cut down considerably. Also, it helps keep my vents and the blower fan cleaner. Pop open the glovebox and take a look at the fan, in about a month mine managed to gather a considerable amount of dirt, and I was only using recirculate with the A/C.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #27
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
yeah, the filter is on the blower, so no matter where the source air is it is going to filter. and even if not, a lot of us prefer to USE modern technology and use the AC, as even stale AC air is awesome when compared to hot and muggy outside "fresh" air.

the benefit is there for everyone because even re-circulated air is filtered, but even if it weren't there are those who actually use AC they purchased...
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #28
b_hickman11

Quote:
The central AC unit inside of your home filters recirculated air......so why is it set up this way if ''recirculated air wouldn't benefit from filtration?"
Old 07-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #29
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Lot more sources of lint in a house. I think it's silly in a car.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:24 AM   #30
b_hickman11

Quote:
Lot more sources of lint in a house. I think it's silly in a car.
Dirt and dust from your shoes would be a source. The vent where the air is brought into the system is under the dash just about a foot from the passenger's shoes. Also dust and dirt flying in from opening and closing doors. And then of course there is pollen. We won't even go there!
Old 07-10-2009, 06:56 AM   #31
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

OK. If driving around filtered like "Bubble Boy" makes you happier, I'm glad Toyota's provided a way.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #32
b_hickman11

Quote:
OK. If driving around filtered like "Bubble Boy" makes you happier, I'm glad Toyota's provided a way.
There are other benefits besides the air you breathe. Without the filter, I would have to wipe down my dash about once a week from all of the dust that gets collected up there. With the filter, I only have to do it about once every six weeks. Now maybe you are older and retired and have plenty of time to be cleaning dashes or watching the grass grow, but I don't, yet.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #33
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

I let mine get pretty dusty before wiping it. The film on the inside of the windshield from the plasticizers starts looking like I've got cataracts, too. I'd rather wipe that stuff out, when it gets intolerable, than have to pull out the glove compartment and change a filter.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #34
b_hickman11

Quote:
I let mine get pretty dusty before wiping it. The film on the inside of the windshield from the plasticizers starts looking like I've got cataracts, too. I'd rather wipe that stuff out, when it gets intolerable, than have to pull out the glove compartment and change a filter.
Like I said you must have a lot of time on your hands. It takes longer to clean dash and windshield than what it does to change the cabin air filter.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #35
JonS

In several posts, I think Yaris Hilton has made his opinion clear. Maybe others who are using or will be using the filter in the future can comment as to how effective or not it turned out to be.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #36
Astroman
Modded Moderator

I'm happy with my diy version. Can I live without it, yeah, but I'm perfectly fine putting one in.