Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
scumfromohio

Drives: 08 White Yaris
Overheating problems

A couple of weeks ago my car started overheating. It turned out to be a bad engine coolant filler neck and cap. I replaced both those. Then it started starting really crappy like stalling out right after i started it and puttering alot. I figured with it overheating although i was watching and putting coolant in it before i replaced the neck and cap it was probably the ect sensor. So i replaced that. Now it still starts funny occasionally and my heater takes forever to warm up. and the driver side vent gets hot at least 10 minutes before the passenger. And the overheating light will flicker occasionally but coolant is always full and it never feels hot. I checked the oil for a blown head gasket and the oil looks brand new as i just got an oil change. There's no coolant in my car on the floor so i don't think it's a heater core issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't know what else it could be. It's a 08 yaris hatchback. Only things I've ever replaced was the alternator maybe 6 months ago and the water pump maybe a year ago. It's got 240000 miles on it.
scumfromohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
Where do all these recent thermostat failures come from? :D
I'd check that.
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
scumfromohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj92 View Post
Where do all these recent thermostat failures come from? :D
I'd check that.
Haha I'll give that a shot thanks man.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Make sure the system is purged of air. A large trapped air bubble could cause that behavior.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
scumfromohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Make sure the system is purged of air. A large trapped air bubble could cause that behavior.
After reading this actually sounds like my problem. I just jack up the car take the radiator cap off remove what coolant is in there and start the car and set the heat on high? From what i read.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumfromohio View Post
After reading this actually sounds like my problem. I just jack up the car take the radiator cap off remove what coolant is in there and start the car and set the heat on high? From what i read.
Just remove the cap and run it until the thermostat opens. Then, watch the fluid swirl and keep adding fluid as needed until the bubbles stop.

There is also a small petcock on the back side of the block that you are supposed to open when you initially add fluid to a drained system. If you open that now quite a bit will drain, as it is only about half way up the block, but opening that for a few seconds may help burp it.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:00 AM   #7
scumfromohio

Quote:
Just remove the cap and run it until the thermostat opens. Then, watch the fluid swirl and keep adding fluid as needed until the bubbles stop.

There is also a small petcock on the back side of the block that you are supposed to open when you initially add fluid to a drained system. If you open that now quite a bit will drain, as it is only about half way up the block, but opening that for a few seconds may help burp it.
Got a few really big air bubbles out. Test drive a little but hard to tell because my car was warm. I'll be able to tell tomorrow morning for sure. I'm staying hopeful been dealing with this for a few weeks haha.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #8
scumfromohio

Didn't seem to fix what I can add is, it seems my reserve stays full but the engine coolant neck loses what I put in it and gets no more. Like this morning it was empty but reserve was full and it was still overheating. So I waited for it to cool down and poured it straight in the radiator cap and it's fine.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Didn't seem to fix what I can add is, it seems my reserve stays full but the engine coolant neck loses what I put in it and gets no more. Like this morning it was empty but reserve was full and it was still overheating. So I waited for it to cool down and poured it straight in the radiator cap and it's fine.

So, you either still have air in the system or you have a leak. I find that to get all of the air out you have to leave it running for a crazy long time (like 30+ minutes in cold weather)
Old 03-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #10
scumfromohio

Quote:
So, you either still have air in the system or you have a leak. I find that to get all of the air out you have to leave it running for a crazy long time (like 30+ minutes in cold weather)
Yeah I left it running for at least 45 minutes, I'm thinking there's gotta be a leak somewhere cause of how fast it's losing coolant. I work maybe 50 minutes away and the coolant was out of the engine filler neck twice. So it was completely empty 2 times and I poured it in there 2 times. But idk at this point

Old 03-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Yeah I left it running for at least 45 minutes, I'm thinking there's gotta be a leak somewhere cause of how fast it's losing coolant. I work maybe 50 minutes away and the coolant was out of the engine filler neck twice. So it was completely empty 2 times and I poured it in there 2 times. But idk at this point

Is there significant white smoke out of the exhaust?
Old 03-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #12
scumfromohio

Quote:
Is there significant white smoke out of the exhaust?
None what so ever, but I pull over as soon as the overheat light blinks.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
None what so ever, but I pull over as soon as the overheat light blinks.

Hmmm. And, no sign of wetness under the hood? Any sign of moisture or smell of coolant from the A/C vents?

Also, remove the oil filler cap and see if there is any foaminess on the bottom of it.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #14
scumfromohio

Quote:
Hmmm. And, no sign of wetness under the hood? Any sign of moisture or smell of coolant from the A/C vents?

Also, remove the oil filler cap and see if there is any foaminess on the bottom of it.
There's no smell of coolant inside the car or from the vents. It's hard to say about wetness under the hood cause I'm not the most accurate coolant pourer. Haha so I've spilled a bit. I'll check for foaminess tonight. I was thinking about renting a pressure tester tomorrow and giving that a shot what do you think? Thanks for all your help man.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
There's no smell of coolant inside the car or from the vents. It's hard to say about wetness under the hood cause I'm not the most accurate coolant pourer. Haha so I've spilled a bit. I'll check for foaminess tonight. I was thinking about renting a pressure tester tomorrow and giving that a shot what do you think? Thanks for all your help man.

Pressure tester might not be a bad idea. Also, I have noticed that if you disconnect the radiator with hoses that are a few years old and reuse the hoses, that they often don't reseal well unless you replace the stock hose clamps and tighten the heck out of them.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #16
scumfromohio

Quote:
Pressure tester might not be a bad idea. Also, I have noticed that if you disconnect the radiator with hoses that are a few years old and reuse the hoses, that they often don't reseal well unless you replace the stock hose clamps and tighten the heck out of them.
OK so pressure test was fine it stayed the same pressure for 10 minutes. We ran it for a good while and after an hour or so coolant started coming out the reserve again, but the filler neck and radiator cap are both brand new.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
OK so pressure test was fine it stayed the same pressure for 10 minutes. We ran it for a good while and after an hour or so coolant started coming out the reserve again, but the filler neck and radiator cap are both brand new.

Coolant will go into the reserve tank as it gets hot and expands. Is it overflowing the reserve tank?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #18
scumfromohio

Quote:
Coolant will go into the reserve tank as it gets hot and expands. Is it overflowing the reserve tank?
Yes, its over flowing the reserve tank. That's the only place I can think I'm losing the coolant. When I seen it, it was only a little bit, but it has to be going somewhere ya know.