Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Is it the end of the ICE age?

When do you see yourself driving an Internal Combustion Engine for the last time? Will the last time be in a few years when electric cars become more available?

I have decided I will not be buying new ICE cars anymore.At the moment. It's better to save and wait for the imminent electric car take over.As they become more advanced with battery tech and increase in range. The price is really the only issue with me.I can see that not being an issue in the future.

Do you think we will ever end our love for ICE or will we just continue to use it?! What car will you be driving in the future. ICE or ELECTRIC? in a few years or 10 years from now.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I'll stick with ICE, easy to work on, I know my around then and the parts are relatively cheap.

If I run out of "range" in an ICE car I just "recharge" in 5 mins at the gas station. Never an issue heading up north to the cottage or anywhere on a road trip.

The only way i'd purchase an electric is if I needed a small grocery getter that only ever stayed around town. For me to buy an electric as a main family vehicle it would have to have competitive range (winter and summer) and have multiple charging stations that take only 10 mins to charge. We seem to be far away from that.

I dont have a guilty conscience about using small 4 banger ICE as their footprint is tiny. The lifestyle I live and way my family chooses to eat does far more benefit for the environment and air quality than any sort of change ibcoyld make to the car I drive.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #3
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
eh, maybe nothing will ever replicate a powerband like a motor till they put fake noises and shiftpoints in the transmission and code the electric motor to act like a motor with a rise and fall and smooth powerband at peaks and has a rev limiter then i will buy a non ICE motor. hey one good thing about the yaris is, if they ever make an electric motor drivetrain from a single motor and its FWD plopping it into the yaris engine bay will be an instant upgrade. XD
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
The "powerband" of an electric motor is infinitely more useable that that of an ICE engine. Full torque available at zero RPM, capable of a much higher "redline" as only have to worry about rotational forces as opposed to reciprocating forces. A car will perform better with an electric motor than with an ICE of the same hp.

The real problem with electrics is the lack of charging infrastructure and the charge time required for current batteries. Once we standardize charging equipment and fully deploy it EVs will really take off.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:02 PM   #5
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
The "powerband" of an electric motor is infinitely more useable that that of an ICE engine. Full torque available at zero RPM, capable of a much higher "redline" as only have to worry about rotational forces as opposed to reciprocating forces. A car will perform better with an electric motor than with an ICE of the same hp.

The real problem with electrics is the lack of charging infrastructure and the charge time required for current batteries. Once we standardize charging equipment and fully deploy it EVs will really take off.
yeah will really take off and cost alot of money to use and maintain, theres no repair infastructure for these vehicles and even the most expensive tesla feels like a prius.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:14 PM   #6
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Actually I would expect repair costs to be lower. There really is no maintenance involved with an electric motor. No oil / fluid changes, almost nothing to break. I have worked with electric motors that have been running for well over 50 years with no problems.

Of course every other part of the car; brakes, suspension, etc. would be the same as an ICE vehicle, so still some maintenance required there.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
What car will you be driving in the future. ICE or ELECTRIC? in a few years or 10 years from now.
Whatever advancements in technology and infrastructure, or lack thereof, coupled with government meddling will determine my automotive future.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2018, 06:31 PM   #8
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
yeah will really take off and cost alot of money to use and maintain, theres no repair infastructure for these vehicles and even the most expensive tesla feels like a prius.

The problem would more likely be electrical glitches than oil ICE engine problems like a blown head or a malfunctioning water pump or fuel pump. It will most likely be a computer malfunction of some sort that have to be re-programmed or replaced.We wont have to get our hands dirty. But it could be pricey indeed.

Last edited by junorico24; 12-22-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #9
junorico24

Of course we can't continue relying on oil for long. I want to see advancement in safety and performance.

It is paramount and vital for the success of EV's.

But i believe it can and will improve over time just like ICE has been improved and reached it's limits, it capabilities there's no more to give we have taken it to it's highest level.

It's time to bring electric cars to the next level it is already surpassed ICE in 0 to 60 dash with out trying LOL imagine what it can do over time....
Old 12-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #10
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
The problem would more likely be electrical glitches than oil ICE engine problems like a blown head or a malfunctioning water pump or fuel pump. It will most likely be a computer malfunction of some sort that have to be re-programmed or replaced.We wont have to get our hands dirty. But it could be pricey indeed.

im good, there wont be an electrifed 4th gen yaris so im kinda all set in buying electric cars/ anything not a 3 door and japanese and toyota.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:10 PM   #11
junorico24

Here are the first of the EV's rolling into ASTRAYA ( Australia).

Hyundai Ioniq.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRTfVTETD8I

Tesla model 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbP74sR6ZWs&t=118s

Hyundai KONA electric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFvIO_ap3U4

KIA Niro EV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEE9Ogzj1O8

KEEP EM COMING!
Old 12-22-2018, 08:53 PM   #12
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Here are the first of the EV's rolling into ASTRAYA ( Australia).

Hyundai Ioniq.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRTfVTETD8I

Tesla model 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbP74sR6ZWs&t=118s

Hyundai KONA electric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFvIO_ap3U4

KIA Niro EV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEE9Ogzj1O8

KEEP EM COMING!
hey look all the things america wont get, ever...
Old 12-22-2018, 09:01 PM   #13
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
It's just a matter of time we are getting the Niro, IONIQ and Kona EV in NA.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #14
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
hey look all the things america wont get, ever...

NO WAY!

It's starting to heat here in Australia with affordable EV's coming next year.

I forgot about the new Nissan leaf and Renault Zeo electric due in July.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #15
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
The "powerband" of an electric motor is infinitely more useable that that of an ICE engine. Full torque available at zero RPM,
^ This. Electrics have great potential for performance; although the revving and sound of an ICE is lost and the noise and vibration is part of the feeling of driving. Which to be honest I like and will keep me with one for as long as I can; daily run-about and family vehicle will eventually become EV I suspect as things change over the next 10+ years.

I agree, the biggest problem is the capacity and range. I work with a guy who does a 3-4 hr trip on weekends home, but has to stop at very calculated places to charge for 30 mins; 30 mins assumes he can roll in and charge, and not wait. If I want to visit friends that live several hours away this holiday, I'd have to stop 2 or 3 times, at very calculated places.. Just doesn't work for any realistic travel outside of major urban areas. And even then, anywhere you live is all under the assumption you've put out for (or had your massive government tax-back pay for) a proper, 220V charging station at home; relying on public charging alone is impossible anywhere except very specific places. The capacity of the vehicles and the infrastructure is still advancing and extremely costly at the moment - which is weird in some ways because the electrical infrastructure, the foundation of distributing electricity, has been around for years and years, it's literally just the installing the charging stations. But, it like advancement it will get here in time.

I think the maintenance costs will be stupid expensive for these first couple of generations, not because the electric motor is complicated - although there are long-life fluids in the pure EV Focus (Fiesta?) that I had checked out.. should ask what his maintenance schedule says about fluids - but because a. it's still very specialized, so specialty shops will be charging (no pun.. but, hah!) a premium, and b. there is no repair and no reman parts - it will be very much a broken = replace, and those motors, drivetrains, controllers, etc.. are very expensive. Once out of warranty we'll see how often problems arise and what the costs are. In future, when all mechanics/technicians are all trained, motors get re-wound and new bearings installed so reman units are available, etc.. I think it will become more like today - we'll always pay out a constant stream of money for routine maintenance, and big money for something like a blown head gasket now or burnt up windings on a EV motor in future; it's the way the automotive industry works, which given it's a massive, billions upon billions of dollar industry with probably millions of jobs associated, I doubt that will change drastically.

Or we're all wrong, in 25 years we'll all use self-driving pods that pop in and out of our little home "portal" and the units will be massively reliable, nearly maintenance free, and automatically roll to a central hub for repair or replacement so there is no worry or cost to the consumer and transport will be a thoughtless, second nature experience, like taking a shower.
Doubt I'll see that in my lifetime. lol

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #16
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
^ This. Electrics have great potential for performance; although the revving and sound of an ICE is lost and the noise and vibration is part of the feeling of driving. Which to be honest I like and will keep me with one for as long as I can; daily run-about and family vehicle will eventually become EV I suspect as things change over the next 10+ years.

I agree, the biggest problem is the capacity and range. I work with a guy who does a 3-4 hr trip on weekends home, but has to stop at very calculated places to charge for 30 mins; 30 mins assumes he can roll in and charge, and not wait. If I want to visit friends that live several hours away this holiday, I'd have to stop 2 or 3 times, at very calculated places.. Just doesn't work for any realistic travel outside of major urban areas. And even then, anywhere you live is all under the assumption you've put out for (or had your massive government tax-back pay for) a proper, 220V charging station at home; relying on public charging alone is impossible anywhere except very specific places. The capacity of the vehicles and the infrastructure is still advancing and extremely costly at the moment - which is weird in some ways because the electrical infrastructure, the foundation of distributing electricity, has been around for years and years, it's literally just the installing the charging stations. But, it like advancement it will get here in time.

I think the maintenance costs will be stupid expensive for these first couple of generations, not because the electric motor is complicated - although there are long-life fluids in the pure EV Focus (Fiesta?) that I had checked out.. should ask what his maintenance schedule says about fluids - but because a. it's still very specialized, so specialty shops will be charging (no pun.. but, hah!) a premium, and b. there is no repair and no reman parts - it will be very much a broken = replace, and those motors, drivetrains, controllers, etc.. are very expensive. Once out of warranty we'll see how often problems arise and what the costs are. In future, when all mechanics/technicians are all trained, motors get re-wound and new bearings installed so reman units are available, etc.. I think it will become more like today - we'll always pay out a constant stream of money for routine maintenance, and big money for something like a blown head gasket now or burnt up windings on a EV motor in future; it's the way the automotive industry works, which given it's a massive, billions upon billions of dollar industry with probably millions of jobs associated, I doubt that will change drastically.

Or we're all wrong, in 25 years we'll all use self-driving pods that pop in and out of our little home "portal" and the units will be massively reliable, nearly maintenance free, and automatically roll to a central hub for repair or replacement so there is no worry or cost to the consumer and transport will be a thoughtless, second nature experience, like taking a shower.
Doubt I'll see that in my lifetime. lol

-- Adam
That's why you still need an ICE for a second car.We can't just get off our ICE addiction.It's going to take time. But i think it's time to get an EV to get the the feel for it and acclimatize.And once you go electric you will never go BACK!! I think i can see myself in these futurist designs.Now tell me if these don't make you a lil moist? It's like they've gone back in time in the 60's and 80's when cars were in their infancy and brought it back in the future gave it futuristic twist as EV's is at it's infancy.They have taken the cult classic from the past and gave it a futuristic LOOK.AMAZING!

Honda Urban EV.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:11 PM   #17
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
That's why you still need an ICE for a second car.We can't just get off our ICE addiction.It's going to take time. But i think it's time to get an EV to get the the feel for it and acclimatize.And once you go electric you will never go BACK!! I think i can see myself in these futurist designs.Now tell me if these don't make you a lil moist? It's like they've gone back in time in the 60's and 80's when cars were in their infancy and brought it back in the future gave it futuristic twist as EV's is at it's infancy.They have taken the cult classic from the past and gave it a futuristic LOOK.AMAZING!

Honda Urban EV.

mmm.... ICE... addiction *scratches*
Old 12-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #18
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
NO WAY!

It's starting to heat here in Australia with affordable EV's coming next year.

I forgot about the new Nissan leaf and Renault Zeo electric due in July.

we dont even sell renault here thats how boring america is. and GM just imports opel, as some kinda sick joke on gemstones i think.

but mad tho