Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2011, 12:52 AM   #1
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Highway minimum speed limit

Hi everyone,

Where I live (Cincinnati), there is no minimum speed limit posted on the highway. Just curious if anyone knows if I can get a ticket going, say, 50mph on the highway? Speed limit is 65mph in some places, 55 mph in other places.
Thanks.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
Thuja

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
In Canada...

Specifically British Columbia, there is a section of the motor vehicle act which states that a driver must not impede the normal flow of traffic. There is no specific speed nor number of vehicles you can have following you, it is up the the police I suppose.
Check your motor vehicle act (or equivalent) for similar wording.

:)
Thuja.
Thuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
California has a catch-all law which is basically "unsafe speed for conditions". Police and CHP use this for any act that is not specifically prohibited, such as the recently enacted cell-phone law. I would guess that your state has the same law.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
If you notice, Thuja, here in CB there are signs saying vehicles or bicycles that cannot maintain 50km/h are not allowed on the highway.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
I'm going to go with Steve. I think you'll be okay as long as you're not being obnoxious about it. Obnoxious meaning driving 50 in the far left lane or driving 50 on a two lane and not wanting to speed up so the current pack of waves could trickle ahead of you.

I personally don't go past 55 unless I'm in a rush. Here's the thing, you're better off staying at the maximum for semi-trailers because it seems like the magic number most motorist are willing to put up with when traffic is free of congestion. Other wise they get stupid and flash their headlights even though you are at the far right and there is plenty of room to pass you. ** don't get me started on the ones which pass you just to get to an off ramp 2 seconds quicker than had they waited behind you.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
OP: I live in PA and with 65 MPH Interstates signs say use flashers at under 50 MPH. This is for long grades on hills on I-80. With 55 MPH Interstates I see use flashers for under 40 MPH. It is safe to say one can drive around 15 MPH under the speed limit on interstates. Of course if the flow of traffic is heavy you may want to bump up the speed closer to the posted speed limit so you do not create any traffic dangers.

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I've always heard that 45 mph was the minimum speed for the interstate. I personally wouldn't try it in an area where the flow of traffic is 75 mph.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
mbt109

Drives: white yaris sedan
Here in MN 40 mph min limit on Interstates
mbt109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
Don't be a hazard to other drivers (and yourself) and just drive the speed limit. You will not save any appreciable amount of gas or money by impeding traffic, but you will piss off a lot of people!

On a side note, I love my Yaris, but hate having to baby the thing just to get 43-45 MPG. I still have it, but bought an old CRX HF last month for my work beater (I drive 1200 miles/week). My absolute worst tank average is better than my best tank average in the Yaris.....I get 47MPG when I beat on it and 60MPG when I'm nice (I average 54MPG) and that's on the highway cruising between 65-75 MPH. In contrast, my best tank in the Yaris has been 47.5 MPG and I average right at 40.

I think the Yaris should be capable of those numbers without driving it like a little old lady afraid of touching the gas pedal.....it's the one thing that aggravates me the most about my Yaris. [/rant]
Old 04-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
"Don't be a hazard to other drivers": seconded. I drive with the traffic flow. If I don't like the speed, I find a secondary route (there is nearly always one) and take that. I find it rude to stick to the speed limit (or below!) and impede other traffic; that is a bad attitude.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryaris View Post
Don't be a hazard to other drivers (and yourself) and just drive the speed limit. You will not save any appreciable amount of gas or money by impeding traffic, but you will piss off a lot of people!
[/rant]
We agree. Just drive the speed limit. But all too often I drive the speed limit while everyone else wants to go 20 above, (I do 55 in 55, they do 70-75). I still piss people off. It is not easy.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:59 AM   #12
rningonfumes

Look, if there is 2 lanes to the left of you which are clear other drivers have no reason to be mad.

..If they're using the right lane to pass, they're idiots. If they're too impatient to wait a mile before their exit, you can't help them. If they're 50 and are driving like they're 16, mark them as trouble and help them pass you because you don't want any of that sillyness.

Just drive safely on the right if you're slower than the majority of traffic but don't drive unreasonably slow. If you're uncomfortable start by following a semi that is driving at the speed you want to be at. This doesn't mean drafting AT ALL. It means you're using the semi as a crutch for drivers behind you to sub conciously want to pass you on the left.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Thanks for the posts, everyone. Yeah, I've been doing 50-53 in a 65mph zone for a couple weeks. I've been flipped off a couple times, too. I bet if I had a Jeff Spicoli look going on I could get away driving at significantly lower speeds without irritating other drivers....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
landrym28
3,300+ at one point.. >:(

Drives: 2010 Hatchback RS
Send a message via MSN to landrym28
Personally, usually when I get my best fuel economy is when I'm driving at 4 in the morning when there's no other traffic on the roads, and I can go the speed limit or a little bit less and not have to worry about getting flipped off. Sad, but true.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
rick996

Drives: 2010 5 door hatch w/5 sp man.
I've been doing 55 on the highway (65 limit) for few weeks now. I haven't had any major problems, just the idiots that come up on you fast even though there are two clear lanes to the left.

I did have to deal with road rage a few years ago when I passed a car that was doing 20 miles per hour after he pulled out in front of me. I passed him on the right in a climbing lane (thought he was just a slow driver) and he went berserk with flashing lights, horn, hand gestures and mouth going a mile a minute. When I stopped at a stoplight he came around me in the left turn only lane and cut me off to pin me in (there were cars behind me), hitting my car. He only damaged his own car, running the right side of it up my front bumper. He got out, obviously drunk, and started screaming threats at me. All I said (through my closed window) was "I'm going to the police station as soon as I leave." His wife or girlfriend managed to get him back in the car and they left. When I got to the station I found out that he had called to complain about me. Luckily I wrote down the plate numbers of the cars that were behind me as they passed us while I was still pinned in and one older couple was willing to talk when they were called. They never got him on drunk driving but they got him on five other charges including "following to harass".

Of course this incident had nothing to do with hypermiling but it does say something about the dangerous nut cases out there . It scared the hell out of me .

rick996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #16
rningonfumes

I'm glad you're okay Rick. That's one of those "silly" situations I was talking about.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #17
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
We agree. Just drive the speed limit. But all too often I drive the speed limit while everyone else wants to go 20 above, (I do 55 in 55, they do 70-75). I still piss people off. It is not easy.
I hear you....I'm lucky that my route is mostly rural and not on the interstate, but occasionally I get caught up in some traffic that wants to go much faster than I do. My biggest problem with the CRX is it accelerates so slowly it's painful (only has 62 HP), although once up to speed it cruises nicely. I usually do the semi truck thing and follow one of them so everyone else can blame the trucker for going so slow and not me (then I can pass him after all the fast traffic blows by).

After putting 8000 miles on the CRX, I have now a greater appreciation of just how peppy the Yaris is. It feels like a sports car by comparison!
Old 04-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #18
Thuja

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
You`re right Betrivent, I have seen those signs on a freeway or two in BC; but I only remember seeing them near the coast and I personally live in the `Kootenays`. I was referring in my post specifically about Section 145 of the Motor Vehicle Act of BC which states:
145 (1) A person must not drive a motor vehicle at so slow a speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

(2) If the driver of a motor vehicle is driving at so slow a speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, a peace officer may require the driver to increase his or her speed, or to remove the motor vehicle from the roadway to the nearest suitable place and to refrain from causing or allowing the motor vehicle to move from that place until directed to do so by a peace officer.
Thuja is offline   Reply With Quote