Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #1
yippiiyaris

Drives: Yaris
2011 yaris not starting

Hi everyone,

I have been doing a lot of maintenance on my 2011 base model 4 door hatchback. Over the last 2 months I have put in a new battery, alternator, belt, spark plugs, oil & filter changed, neutral safety switch replaced, and now the last thing replaced was a crankshaft position sensor. I got a code of P0335. First I tried clearing the code and see if that helped but then the car would not start, so then I bought the crankshaft position sensor and installed it.

I think that may have been unnecessary as now the car only flashes and beeps and buzzes but it will not try to turn over at all. (Same thing as when I cleared the error code.)

I have charged up the battery and most things work, i.e., blower motor, radio, lights. However when the car is turned to on, thats when it starts going all haywire. I hear clicking, buzzing, the dash lights go on and off, but no attempt to start when I try to turn the key to start it.

When I try to test it with the OBD tester it comes up with no faults.

Anybody have suggestion for what to check next?

Starter, ECM ECU???
yippiiyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #2
yippiiyaris

Drives: Yaris
Well here is an update. I have replaced the starter, now it will start however it continues to keep engaging the starter. If I pull the starter relay after it starts, the car will run. But if I put the car in drive the car stalls. If I put in a wire in after it has been started and the starter relay pulled, the car continues to run and I can get around.

I am in the process of trying to get another starter relay but no one has one locally. So I will update this again once I get the new relay. If the symptoms continue, do I look at replacing the ECM next? Anyone have any suggestions? The dealer wants 115 an hour for diagnosing...
yippiiyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
xdarkxfirex

Drives: 2015 yaris le
Maybe the cranksensor you put in was defective? Try putting in the old one and see if it does the same thing.

Also this may be something you want to check. Check your megafuse, the one on the positive battery terminal. If that goes, the car acts all crazy. I blew mine about a year ago shorting the alternator
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote