Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Question Need help picking a paint color....

The car is in paint...I'll update with pics when available.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg

Last edited by mazilla; 02-01-2012 at 04:30 PM.
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
please dont go flat black/satin black.. It makes the owner couldnt afford a full paint job and just put black primer on it. like those who put body kits on thier cars and cant afford to paint that, but still put it on reguardless.

I really like the dark grey idea though.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If I were painting mine, I would definitely go for the "peppermint green" color available in Europe and Japan. It is a bright metallic green (which I believe is the same as the scion envy green over here).
Old 01-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
please dont go flat black/satin black.. It makes the owner couldnt afford a full paint job and just put black primer on it. like those who put body kits on thier cars and cant afford to paint that, but still put it on reguardless.

Back in the 70s and 80s actually satin (primer) black was extremely popular on the 60/70s era muscle cars. It was usually found on cars that frequented the track, strip, or street racing. Very classy in its own regard. If someone thinks it is because the owner is cheap or broke without really looking at the nuances of the car then that just shows their ignorance. No disrespect to you just an observation about auto schene history.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
An iron/matte grey could be pulled of if done right.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post

Haha! I'd rather people think that, it gives me a chance to take advantage of them.

The only problem with a complete color change that I can see is I'd want to remove all traces of the original paint...which means I'd have to strip the engine compartment/etc, that's a lot of work, unless you guys think I could get away with a black engine bay and a charcoal-ish grey exterior? I'd spray the door jambs, etc(obviously)...just the core of the engine bay would be black.

I'm going to change the rim color too...just need to get a car color squared away first.

My odometer 03/11
Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Back in the 70s and 80s actually satin (primer) black was extremely popular on the 60/70s era muscle cars. It was usually found on cars that frequented the track, strip, or street racing. Very classy in its own regard. If someone thinks it is because the owner is cheap or broke without really looking at the nuances of the car then that just shows their ignorance. No disrespect to you just an observation about auto schene history.
Hmmm... I don't remember seeing all that many flat black cars back (70s) then. And the ones that I did were the people who couldn't afford a paint job or to copy the "stealth moonshine runner" like Jesse Duke's car. I never went to the strip but I do remember seeing circle track cars painted in rattle can colors, mostly because it was cheap and easy to touch up after brushing fenders or walls. It seems to me the whole flat black thing only started in the 2000s...

OTOH, painting cars flat black seems to be the new trend (yuck, IMO) and to say it is done because the owner couldn't afford a paint job may be over generalizing since even Sport Compact Car magazine had a STi project car that they painted in rattle can flat black.

Last edited by Yaristeve; 01-03-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
If I were painting mine, I would definitely go for the "peppermint green" color available in Europe and Japan. It is a bright metallic green (which I believe is the same as the scion envy green over here).
This! ^

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ighlight=green
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Dark navy blue pearl?
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
Dark navy blue pearl?
Did you have a particular example in mind? (make/model/year or paint code)

I tossed around the idea of a purple/black for a minute, but I couldn't find an example of what I had in my head...

My odometer 03/11
Old 01-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I don't have any paint codes or ideas.. sorry. I just thought it might look good on a yaris. Or really any dark ish pearl paint. It really uses the body line well on our car. I'll try to find you one later

EDIT: Something like this? http://www.cbg.ie/photos/multi/defau...511_710_01.jpg

Last edited by Betrivent; 01-03-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
matte black looks sick ive seen it on a couple cars but i also like 2 tone like the bottom half matte black and the top half/roof like dark grey
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
Get it painted the same color as mine. It was never available on the LB's and only available in '07 and '08 on the sedans.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
none taken. I did not grow up in the 60's/70's. Like yaristeve said though, I hardly see any actual muscle cars do it for the look. I DO understand doing it for a track car, or other racing that will do some amount of paint rubbing. I have seen that all over the racing schene. I personally do not like the look, but those who do it are "all go and no show". I Dont think it looks good on a Daily Driver. It just looks cheap, and if your going to repaint a car, esp. like the OP's amazing ride, go bigger than flat black. personal opinion.

I will agree that it was a trend that started up in the earlier 2000's that gave many kids still in school to get a cheap paint job and feel included with the rest. OP asked for opinions, and that is mine.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Flat/satin black is HOT. Professionally done, it looks nothing like a vehicle that's been primer spay bombed.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ agreed. It's also nearly impossible to maintain, wax will make it shiny. First bird poo will ruin it. AWESOME look though. If you don't do it, I might.

Decide first if you want a pearl/sparkle or a straight color. That will help narrow your choices. Very dark purple, blood red, charcoal or midnight blue would be pretty hot.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Other handy tools, that may or may not be more accurate than photoshop for testing colors is GT5 or Forza 4. With continually painting my Yari in GT5 I have found that there are a lot of colors that just don't look that good on a Yaris. GT5 has metallic, pearl, glossy, and flat colors.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #18
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
what's wrong with the current color? looks nice.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote