Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-09-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Projector HID Retrofit:

I am having such a difficult time with this!! Neither how-to by Brian or Peter seems to be getting me anywhere.

I have the headlights apart, and then realized that the kit doesn't have any silicone in it. I don't know if it just isn't included anymore, if Garm missed it, or if I was suppose to order it separately. I'll have to get with him about that.

The order of the locking rings on the back is all out of whack. And I have no idea where the large beige rubber piece goes. At this point, I'm really debating just going to Home Depot in the morning, getting some silicone and putting my lights back together and sending these back to Garm because this is not a 4-5 hour job like the how-to's said. I've been at this for 10 hours now and I have to get lights on the front of my car by Tuesday afternoon because I go back to work then.

Ugh! Yarisworld, please help!!

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

This is where I'm at right now.

The only way the projector seems to fit in there with any remoteness of security is without the thin washer and without that rubber grommet. Even then, it feels like it might come loose after driving a while and the projector bouncing around in my bowl is not what I spent $200 for.

This is the untouched second projector, as it was when I pulled it out of the box. I haven't touched the order of the grommet or any of the rings. The only thing I did was take out the bulb.

These two pieces don't seem to have a home, and unless I am blind, I'm not seeing where they get inserted in either how-to. And here I thought the hard part would be getting the headlights apart and getting all the wiring done. Getting them apart was a breeze. Haven't even started the wiring yet because I can't get these Goddamn things to work. Even if I do, I have no idea how I'm gonna seal my lights back up.

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #3
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
If you're close to a Nissan dealer, go the the parts department and ask for this part #, B6553-89915. It's the headlight sealant. Can you post a pic of what you're having trouble with? It's been a while since I've used them.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
Brian

The white rubber piece goes inside and sits against the reflector bowl. Then the locking washer and nut secure it from the back. You can go without any of the locking rings, washer, or white rubber piece. Check Home Depot for "Sika Fast Setting Anchoring Adhesive" and you can permanently attach the projector to the bowl. Just make sure the cutoff is straight.

Last edited by Brian; 01-09-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

I had figured that might be where the rubber piece goes, however when I put it in there on the back of the projector, I can't seem to get enough threads through the slot in order to crank down on the locking ring.

Thank you for the sealant tip though. There is a Nissan dealer close by, I'll have to drop in there tomorrow.

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
Brian

Previous post edited with more info that might help you out.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Ok, here is the white rubber piece against the reflector bowl. I managed to push hard enough to get enough threads thru to crank down on the locking screw.

Does everything look right back here?

My only problem now seems to be that the little U hook that the clip that secures the bulb snaps into is bent. As seen here.

And now I just realized that I finally got the projector in and then forgot the backlit LEDs that presumably bolt on to the back of the projector. FUCK!! Please tell me those aren't exactly necessary, because I'm really not feeling up to taking it apart to try AGAIN.

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:40 AM   #8
Brian

Everything looks okay to me. Not sure about the led's since mine didn't have them.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I'm sure those backlight LEDs aren't necessary, you just won't have that extra feature.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Yeah, this is the Gen 3 kit from Garm. The projector does seem more secure with the rubber bit in the back. The LED backlights seem to have their own cords and even a controller with a 3M sticky pad on the back to place it in the engine bay or something so that you can change the colors. All of that seems a little excessive.

Hopefully things go smoother with the second projector. All of this hassle was with the first light, believe it or not. Thank you for the help, though and I'm sorry if I got angry and bagged on your how-to. Most everything else on it seems to have helped a lot so far.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

So when mounting the silver ballast box in Peter's how-to, it seems to sit directly above where he mounted the black relay box. I'm on the passenger side of the car right now and I can't seem to see a second set of holes. Did he just drill the ballast directly into the strut tower?

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
for the pic of the back of the headlight i cut off all the "extra" stuff that sticks out so the projector nut would sit flush and screw on all the way
Old 01-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #13
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

I managed to get the projectors secured last night. Today is sealing the lights and getting the wiring done.

Where did you mount your silver ballast box? Do they get really hot? I briefly thought of ziptieing it down until I could find a place to bolt it in but if it gets hot enough to melt plastic, then that obviously isnt a good idea.

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
yaris2010RS

lmfao, my drivers side ballast is just chilling between the battery and shock tower, not secure at all, passanger side and fog ballasts are ziptied, i basically just wanna keep them away from very wet conditions and from getting tossed around.

one of my fogs ballasts slipped out of the ziptie and fell into the accessory belt and needed a new connector put on
Old 01-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Ok. Thanks for the input, I feel better about just ziptieing them down now. lol, sorry if these are noob questions. I've never done a retrofit before. I saw your comment on your sales thread about painting them black though. :(

I'll see how the output is as they are now and if it's really bad, then I'll go back in there and paint them black, but I'm really fed up with taking the projector in and out because it was so difficult to get it locked down last night.

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
yaris2010RS

its kool

u will never get back in them lol. i used actual silicone and there is no way i was getting that apart. which kinda sucks cuz now i need to go thru the hassel of trading with someone all cuz i didnt paint the turn signal like i wanted to from the start... damn OCD lol
Old 01-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
yaris2010RS

also did u bend the 2 parts that hold down the bulb locking bar? i had to bend mine to get them in and i had aiming issues with one of the projectors cuz the bulb wasnt sitting perfectly flush cuz i hadent bent the clips back close enough to where they were originally
Old 01-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #18
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
I really want to retrofit my headlights, but I want to get a spare set before I try it.
I have no experience doing anything of the sort, so i'm sure it will be frustrating. XD
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote