Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-31-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
littlecarlove

Drives: Want a Yaris
Leather interior

In another post I said that I had found a place that would do my leather interior. The good news is that they are THE place in town to do this type of work - the bad news is that they want $1250 for the job.

It occurred to me that I should ask my dealer if they had anyone that could put in leather. Sure enough they said yes, but they jobbed it out to the very SAME place I had gone to. The dealer wasn’t sure how much it would be to do a Yaris and said he would call me back.

I just got the call back, ready for this? 1000 bucks! All leather from the same kit as Violin’s - Roadwire. Just saved me $250. I thought that Coachcraft would give the dealer a break in price, I just didn’t expect the dealer to pass the savings on to me.

I'm a happy guy

Hays
littlecarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:47 PM   #2
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Good job! The dealer probably sends a couple dozen jobs a month their way.

Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
littlecarlove

Beautiful interior Violin! I can’t wait.
Hey, where did you get the center console thing?

Hays
Old 10-31-2006, 07:26 PM   #4
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Nice picture Violin! Looks like it is a job very well done. Though the price is high, some money may come back eventually when the car is sold or submitted for a trade-up (but I would probably keep such a car for a very long time).
I like leather.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:09 PM   #5
tomjasz
Banned

Drives: 07 Black Yaris LB, 05 Camry LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecarlove
In another post I said that I had found a place that would do my leather interior. The good news is that they are THE place in town to do this type of work - the bad news is that they want $1250 for the job.

It occurred to me that I should ask my dealer if they had anyone that could put in leather. Sure enough they said yes, but they jobbed it out to the very SAME place I had gone to. The dealer wasn’t sure how much it would be to do a Yaris and said he would call me back.

I just got the call back, ready for this? 1000 bucks! All leather from the same kit as Violin’s - Roadwire. Just saved me $250. I thought that Coachcraft would give the dealer a break in price, I just didn’t expect the dealer to pass the savings on to me.

I'm a happy guy

Hays
If you're paying with plastic you're not in a position to negotiate! Walk in with 900 in CASH offer it to the owner (if it's a small business) and enjoy the deal....
tomjasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:43 AM   #6
Violin

Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
Though the price is high, some money may come back eventually when the car is sold or submitted for a trade-up (but I would probably keep such a car for a very long time).
I like leather.
I plan to drive this car for a loooong time. I hope to hand it down to my middle daughter when she's old enough to drive. She'd look better than me in it.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:45 AM   #7
Violin

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecarlove
Hey, where did you get the center console thing?
That's the JDM center console: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1068
Old 11-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #8
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin
I plan to drive this car for a loooong time. I hope to hand it down to my middle daughter when she's old enough to drive. She'd look better than me in it.
If this is the case, you certainly have chosen the right car. It will last, period.
Best wishes to you and your daughter, the future owner, for a loooong enjoyment of the car with its nice leather seats!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:57 PM   #9
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
nice job. i had mine done at the dealer it was cheaper, did the do the side panels on the door also where you able to pic the color you wanted? here are pics of mine.

Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:02 PM   #10
swng

Old 11-02-2006, 12:26 AM   #11
littlecarlove

NICE Adriaan! Yes, I told them I want charcoal. I’m not really sure
what color my car will be. I told them my preference of color in order
1) Meteorite Metallic 2) Bayou Blue Metallic 3) Absolutely Red
4) Blazing Blue Metallic, but I stressed that I would be happy with
any of these colors. I figured charcoal would look great in any of them.

Hays
Old 11-02-2006, 02:06 AM   #12
xfatefailsx07
Lean Wit It. Rock Wit It.

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan - 5 Speed
anyone with a sedan do leather yet?

im scheduled to have it done 2 weeks from now. My cousin owns an autobody, where they do upholstry including leather, suede and pretty much anything else. He is only charging me the price of the material, so it should be pretty cheap. Anyone in the southern new york area around nyc lookin to get this done, send me a PM. i can get you a good deal
Old 11-02-2006, 07:12 AM   #13
Violin

Suede would be sweet.

Yes Adriaan, they put leather on the front door panels too. I chose charcoal to match everything else. Yours looks very good I like the Yaris logo. The solid bench rear seat has to be easier to do than my split.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:12 AM   #14
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Just an idea for those of you that may want something like this done but don't want to spend 10% of what your car is worth to do it... I hopped on craigslist.com last night, put in my city and area and found this link.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/sks/225785304.html

He said any work he would do on the side would cost well under $1000, although he needs pictures of the interior to give me an exact quote. I'll let you know what it ends up coming out to.

I'm sure this isn't the only guy in the country that is doing the same thing. Also, there were a TON of people in my area trying to do car stereo work on the side... if you're not so ICE-savvy, that would be a good route to go.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:25 AM   #15
littlecarlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
Just an idea for those of you that may want something like this done but don't want to spend 10% of what your car is worth to do it... I hopped on craigslist.com last night, put in my city and area and found this link.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/sks/225785304.html

He said any work he would do on the side would cost well under $1000, although he needs pictures of the interior to give me an exact quote. I'll let you know what it ends up coming out to.

I'm sure this isn't the only guy in the country that is doing the same thing. Also, there were a TON of people in my area trying to do car stereo work on the side... if you're not so ICE-savvy, that would be a good route to go.

My roommate in college used to do this. He worked at an upholstery
shop during summer breaks. He made his beer money by doing jobs on
the weekends while he was in school. I think he was able to save them
25-30%. If I knew where he was these days I would have looked him
up first.

Hays
Old 11-07-2006, 12:16 PM   #16
ChinoCharles
Banned

The guy called me back and quoted me around $850 for a full custom leather job, which isn't half bad. Goes kind of in line with Hays's experience, at about 30% off what most dealers would ask.

I don't exactly have that kind of money sitting around right now, but I'll probably have him make me a shift boot soon.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #17
Violin

Thing is... he uses a chainsaw to cut the pattern out of human skin.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #18
ChinoCharles
Banned

Violin, were you outside last night waiting in line for Rutgers tickets? I think the hypothermia got you. You've lost it.