Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-18-2013, 01:42 AM   #109
misolith

Drives: 2007
Thanks much. Great explanation.

It seems that this one I've tested has no faults between the conductors in the spring itself. Now to see where the problem may be.
misolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #110
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by misolith View Post
Thanks much. Great explanation.

It seems that this one I've tested has no faults between the conductors in the spring itself. Now to see where the problem may be.
If the four wires test fine for continuity end to end, next test for continuity between 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4. There should not be continuity between the pins next to each other. If there is, then there is a short.

The other thing that some have experienced is the airbag showing continuity when stationary, but then having one of the wires open when it is rotated.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #111
essarr

Drives: 2006 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookybathtub View Post
This happened to me a few months back. (2007 manual 3dr)
I did the old "OBDII port jumper" trick and found the trouble code. From there, I looked up the code in the official service manual, and followed the flowchart to find the problem. I eventually traced it down to the spiral cable in the steering wheel. Don't ask me how it broke; I've never even thought about taking off the wheel. But after this happened, I took it all apart, and was lucky enough to find a spiral cable assembly in a junkyard, soldered it in, and my airbag light has been off for several months now. Saved myself $250 over a pro repair

There are numerous other things that could cause your light to be on, but with the error code, the flowchart, and a lot of patience, you can certainly solve it yourself.

By the way, the service manual is an invaluable resource for any kind of mods or repairs. You can find it here in pieces: http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/
or here as a torrent: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3523...Service_Manual

Hey i think i have the exact same problem... would anyone be able to direct me towards how this repair goes? how to take out the column and replace the clock spring?
thanks!
essarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #112
bail_w

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris LB
Dam it! Airbag light of my 2007 yaris turned on...

Will try to get the code this weekend.

Edit: Error Codes: 51 & 43

Last edited by bail_w; 11-10-2013 at 06:04 PM.
bail_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #113
bail_w

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris LB
http://www.ebay.com/itm/84306-22010-...0388ea&vxp=mtr

Will this item work?

Nvm found my answer
bail_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #114
07HBYaris

Drives: Yaris HB 2007
There's been a recall for this and is in the works to have the spiral cable remedied. There's approx. 131 million cars affected by this, including the Tacoma, Corolla, Matrix, Highlander, Rav4, and Yaris. Also in the faq from toyota there are reimbursement from those that have had it repaired, Reimbursement consideration instructions will be provided in the remedy owner letter. There are also two other recalls involving the yaris.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #115
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bail_w View Post
Dam it! Airbag light of my 2007 yaris turned on...

Will try to get the code this weekend.

Edit: Error Codes: 51 & 43
The 51 will be solved by changing the spiral cable (and I believe that if you go to the dealer they will replace it with a current one until the new ones become available).

The 43 is odd as that is related to the passenger airbag on/off indicator, and is completely unrelated to the spiral cable.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #116
07HBYaris

Drives: Yaris HB 2007
airbag light update.

Scott, thanks for the jumper trick.
To my relief, my car was spitting code 51 only.
I'm @ toyota right now getting a current one installed while the recall is remedied and then I'll be back for recall replacement.
The service rep. Said that if the srs light is on, the whole srs system is down. So drive with that in mind for all those that are affected.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #117
Camberix

Drives: Blue 3dr hatch
My wife's Yaris is now on its third clock spring. I can pop on a new one in about 10 minutes, but it's a serious annoyance.

The OE clock spring lasted about 85k miles. I did the jumper code technique, saw the usual error, and replaced it with a new one off eBay. That one lasted a couple of years and about 20k miles, and the airbag light came on again. No cruise control, the usual. I just threw on a new clock spring off eBay again, and the airbag light went away.

I'm not impressed with the clock spring situation on these cars.
Camberix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #118
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camberix View Post
My wife's Yaris is now on its third clock spring. I can pop on a new one in about 10 minutes, but it's a serious annoyance.

The OE clock spring lasted about 85k miles. I did the jumper code technique, saw the usual error, and replaced it with a new one off eBay. That one lasted a couple of years and about 20k miles, and the airbag light came on again. No cruise control, the usual. I just threw on a new clock spring off eBay again, and the airbag light went away.

I'm not impressed with the clock spring situation on these cars.

Now that there has been a recall issued for the clock spring, why are u still bothering with eBay solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #119
powder puff

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Pearl Yaris
I just had mine replaced at the dealer, they also did the seat track replacement also
powder puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #120
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Now that there has been a recall issued for the clock spring, why are u still bothering with eBay solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would guess because when the part will come in = ? My understanding, after reading posts on other similar YW threads and then asking probing questions at one of my two closest Toyota dealers, is that some areas of the United States are getting the fix/remedy faster than others...those that traditionally have inclement winter weather and a high population density (pretty much the Northeast ). My understanding is that when the proper part comes in something will trigger the word 'remedy' to appear on the screen they pull up re checking the status of this issue. A local dealer put in a different clock spring for free (not the one Toyota intends for the fix for the Yaris) to reset the light and system so 'my bags' can deploy. I was told that I'll be notified when the clock spring Toyota wants in there for 'the fix' comes in, and they will swap them for free. I have yet to receive any notification (sounded like a big question mark re time frame when they did this interim fix). The person you replied to is (like me) in a 'Gulf States Toyota (distributorship) state', so may be prey to the same 'heel dragging' re the part Toyota intends to use for a 'proper' fix.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #121
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by powder puff View Post
I just had mine replaced at the dealer, they also did the seat track replacement also
Well, given your location, so much for my two cents . I finally got the actual/true recall notice last week for the seat tracks (IIRC), so I'll ask about the 'intended/remedy spiral cable' having come in as well when I take it in for that fix. Perhaps they just mailed me a postcard and I just haven't received it yet.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #122
MoneyT8

Drives: White Yaris Sedan
Having the airbag check light on is a real hazard, I'm really surprised Toyota hasn't sent out a remedy letter yet. I don't really feel safe while driving knowing the airbag may not deploy.
MoneyT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #123
powder puff

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Pearl Yaris
The dealer told me they released the remedy on 10-8-14
powder puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #124
MoneyT8

Drives: White Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Oh really??!! I guess I haven't received the letter yet.
MoneyT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #125
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Released only 3 days ago...being that recent would explain why I haven't received the notification/postcard yet.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:16 PM   #126
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyT8 View Post
Having the airbag check light on is a real hazard, I'm really surprised Toyota hasn't sent out a remedy letter yet. I don't really feel safe while driving knowing the airbag may not deploy.
My local dealership said Toyota feels the same way, and that that is why they temporarily put in a different spiral cable in order to reset the light and allow the system to deploy.