Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #379
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
It seems that my car cannot make up its mind what it wants to do. Some days .. the ABS/Emerg light is on and other days it doesn't show its face. I will just ignore it I guess .. and see how that works out.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #380
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
It'll just get worse and worse. The fix is so easy, why ignore it?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #381
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
It'll just get worse and worse. The fix is so easy, why ignore it?
I am not a car guy. I know how to check my oil .. and that's about it. So .. fixing it will be something that I may get the dealer to do. But the dang lights won't stay on, so the dealer won't touch it.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #382
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I am not a car guy. I know how to check my oil .. and that's about it. So .. fixing it will be something that I may get the dealer to do. But the dang lights won't stay on, so the dealer won't touch it.
from the sounds of it your sensor is at the point where there is some corrosion but the pins are still intact and no serious damage has been done. it may get to the point where the only thing possible to do is to replace which is much more $$$
Old 02-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #383
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
^^^ I agree with this.

edmscan, you really should take a look at it while you still have time to protect the connection before it's completely corroded apart. All you have to do is clean the salt spray and sand off the connector, and then seal it back up with dielectric grease. It takes no more than 10 minutes and will save you all kinds of headaches. The dealer will charge you for an hour's labour, so that'll be $90-110 for a very simple task.

Take a look at this pic for what the sensor looks like:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&postcount=232
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #384
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
thought they didnt use salt out there?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #385
jaggerdog

Drives: Orange Yaris Hatchback
The ABS and brake light appeared today not impressed. I retrieved the code and it was 33 for right rear sensor. Pulled the rear wheels off to get better access. Took a while to get the electrical connector off the back of the sensor. I ended up using a medium cotter key split in half. I put it in the lower part of the connector and turned while pulling on the connector towards the center of the car. Blew my mind when I got it off this plug has no rubber seal of weather proofing at all WTF... I dried them both out with a hair dryer and filled them with vasoline. Drove it down the street and BOOM!! it's fixed. When it's not -14 out I will rig up some boots to cover the connectors. They should at lease supply us with some rubber boots that can be slipped over these connectors to prevent the moisture.
jaggerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #386
edmscan

I have great news .... the local Toyota dealer is going to fix my ABS (!) brake problem, under extended warranty. The extended warranty coverage for my car was purchased by the original owner, and it apparently does cover the ABS (!) issue. So I am looking forward to getting my car finally fixed.

Edit: .. got my ABS (!) issue fixed today at the Toyota dealer. It was good to finally get the problem resolved. The best thing is that it was all covered under ECP warranty.

Last edited by edmscan; 02-14-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #387
jp_caldwell

Drives: 2006 Yaris
I have an 06 and just had to clean the sensors for the 2nd time last night. But the bad news is on the passenger side the plug fell completely apart. So I need to replace the ABS sensor wire (part 89516-52090) and the speed sensor (part 89544-52040).

Two questions; does anyone know a site that will ship to Canada and has the parts for a good price. The dealer cost is freaking crazy and more than double what i have found from sites in the US which won't send items north of the border.

Second question, does anyone have DIY for changing the speed sensor?
jp_caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #388
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris

you will need a press...at least that's how i removed my hub.

i can maybe send it to you for 100$ shipped from US.

Last edited by enviri; 03-02-2013 at 09:23 PM.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #389
edmscan

All I know is that when the dealer fixed my speed sensor issue (both left and right sides) it took them about 2-3 hours to complete the job. So it doesn't sound like it is a simple 10 min job.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #390
polar_white

Drives: Yaris Hatchback LE
owner of 2007 LB yaris, had rust proofing done when it was bought new from DVN dealership.

I just got this stupid ABS & (!) lights on problem about few weeks ago, after some googling i found this thread.

I have a service appointment booked and will talk to them to see if they will do a good will pricing for me, if not, i'm not planning to fix it.
polar_white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #391
polar_white

Drives: Yaris Hatchback LE
Hi,

Can you tell us which dealership is this in Toronto? DVN wants total of $940 to rplace both rear sensors, they said the cost of both sensors is $240.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1nonly View Post
FOLLOWUP (sorry for the length of this post):

Part replaced for $53.30

So thanks to this forum I had the part replaced by Toyota for $53.30...
out of warranty.

I had the issue back in feb 2010 with the right sensor. they replaced it under warranty but didnt say what caused the issue despite my complaints to know the cause... just said that they had to replace the entire sensor assembly. Back then I complained asking them to recheck and replace the other sensors but they wouldn't becuz they were fine... I didnt actually look this problem up until tonight jan 2011 when the sensor went on the leftside.

So the story goes:
Came in tonight.... told me it would cost $733 to fix the sensor issue. Add $200+ for labor and $100 for the initial diagnostic.

Googled and found this thread.... showed them the easy fix and the tsb issued in 2008 (US version). After talking with service manager, technician and service rep we finally found the TSB (CDN version). I told them to fix the problem according to the TSB which matched the error code found during diagnostic. The replaced just the wire sensor (list price $53.30), waved the diagnostic fee and took 10% off labor (after 1hr of complaining with everyone there). Total was about $230 ($180 2hr labor, $50 part)

I wouldve tried cleaning it but the tech had already pulled out the sensor and showed me the wire was damaged (really?). At least i have the latest sensor model (hopefully) which should protect against corrosion/damage to the sensor. So hopefully I wont have to worry about this or having to clean the original faulty sensor every year.

If it hasn't been posted... for those looking for the TSB (CDN version) the number is:
TSB3027 (issued July 3, 2008 revised on March 19, 2010) - Canadian TSB Version
DTC (diagnostic trouble codes)
C0210 - Rear Speed Sensor RH circuit
C0215 - Rear Speed Sensor LH Circuit

Sorry I didnt get a chance to read the entire thread but I skim through enough of it to help me get the right part replaced at a reasonable price rather than their initial costs of $700-900

Hope that helps.

The service manager also said he'd follow up with Toyota. What they call a good will claim... case determined by toyota canada.

Sorry for the length of the post... but hopefully some of this info helps someone with the same issue.

Cheers.
polar_white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #392
invisibleghosts
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris
ABA wiring sensor replaced

First off let me thank everyone for posting such good information on checking, preventing and replacing in all of the above posts!

I've followed the instructions and have removed both sensors, the first was dirty, but intact, the second....not so lucky.

So I managed to switch out the old, broken, wiring and sensor (I'll call the male end) but I'm a bit lost on the other side (female) end. I had a few pins that were broken off (tons of sand/salt/snow in Winnipeg) and I'm not sure what part or process to use to replace the "female" side? I wasn't able to find anything mentioned in the previous posts on a DIY...any advice?

I've been taking photos as I've gone along and I hope to post them all once I've completely finished to help others. I'll admit I'm not very handy, but I'd rather not pay the dealership for a job that I can do myself!
invisibleghosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #393
jb48
jb48

Drives: 2008 hatchback automatic
Now I have a dilemna!
I bought a used (97000 km) 2008 Yaris HB a month ago and it`s my sole everyday vehicle (my other one is a 1984 Suzuki 650 motorcycle). So far so good, no problem at all. In addition to everyday transportation, I use my car for delivering mail to mailboxes in rural area. I read all the 22 pages of this thread and now i have a dilemna: do I take preventive actions to address the potential problem by asking my mechanic to clean and grease the ABS connections when he`ll install my new winter tires or is it better to do nothing per popular proverb <if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it>?
jb48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #394
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Take it apart and grease it with dielectric grease before it's too late.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #395
eseibel67

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I've had the ABS & "!" light coming on intermittently since Christmas, and then it went solid for most of the winter so I suspected corrosion. Scan revealed C0210 (right rear speed sensor circuit).

Yesterday it was finally warm and dry enough to take a wheel off and have a look. Turns out that one of the two pin sockets on the harness was crusted up with green corrosion. And I can see why it happened, the plastic housing of the connector had a crack in it that let water in.

Being as I'm a tightwad, I scraped out as much of the crust as possible with a small sewing pin and flushed out the debris with alcohol spray and compressed air. Added a tiny spot of grease in the hole and plugged it in. Cleared the codes by jumping the DLC and the warning lights are now off.

I know this is a temporary repair, so the next time the light comes on I'm going to just replace both rear harnesses.
eseibel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #396
robkay

Drives: Hatch
Can somebody help with a question? I'm trying to do the rears. Does that clip on top actually get removed, or is it a molded part of the connector? I lift the clip with a screwdriver, then try to pry to connector back with another screwdriver and the connector doesn't want to slide off easily. The connector is somewhat loose because I can actually slide it back and forth a tad. However, there is significant resistance to sliding the connector off. Am I just being too timid about prying on the connector to pop it off? I just don't want to break it. Thanks,.
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote