Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #19
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarice View Post
Does this project also work for an 2008 3dr LB?
Yes. TPWS is identical on 2008 and 2009 3 and 5 door LBs and Sedans as well.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:56 PM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
okay...you guys lost me. Do you need to cut the wires or can you just leave it unplugged? Or are you just cutting the two wires?
You do need to keep the connector plugged in (with those two wires cut) to sucessfully do the mod. If you just unplug the connector, the TPWS light will immediately come on and will stay on until it is plugged back in.

Cutting those two wires fools the Tire Pressure Warning System into thinking that the car is not moving and the engine is not running. The TPWS will not report an error if it doesn't hear from the tire sensors as long as the car is not rolling and the engine is not running.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #21
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
My daughters car seem to idle low and loose pick-up and have flat spot on throttle tip-in when the heater or headlights or radio are on. Is there a power buss or GND I can check that may be intermittent? Also does the Cluster dimmer use PWM PSU for voltage control for brightnes or is it just a ballast pot (I'm thinking NO here in digital age). Reason I ask is, I was driving here car and someone knocked-off the display brightness, I turned the knob to mid range and I lost power and engine got buzzy on the highway. May just co-incidence. I wondering if this car is hyper-sensitive to noise on the power buss - also given SS regulated DC which is pretty noisy too - enough to false certain sensor input? I suppose what I am getting at when you drive car initial reaction is - this car has electrical problem - it s over sensitive to control settings. Everything off it runs OK again after ~ 1 cold and a couple HOT key-on/key-offs. This is bad enough I consider SELLING it since it appears on the unrepairable given the tech training level we have around here (NH). Possibly anything I should look for on the hand held - like fuel trim or low E at ECU buss? I want to look for a pattern of corrupted look up tables (and I dont have OBDii scanner, but plan to purchace one.)

Thank you
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #22
Yarice

Drives: 2008 LB Meteoric Metallic
Nice, thanx for that info, cant wait to try it out.
Yarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:22 PM   #23
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
My daughters car seem to idle low and loose pick-up and have flat spot on throttle tip-in when the heater or headlights or radio are on. Is there a power buss or GND I can check that may be intermittent? Also does the Cluster dimmer use PWM PSU for voltage control for brightnes or is it just a ballast pot (I'm thinking NO here in digital age). Reason I ask is, I was driving here car and someone knocked-off the display brightness, I turned the knob to mid range and I lost power and engine got buzzy on the highway. May just co-incidence. I wondering if this car is hyper-sensitive to noise on the power buss - also given SS regulated DC which is pretty noisy too - enough to false certain sensor input? I suppose what I am getting at when you drive car initial reaction is - this car has electrical problem - it s over sensitive to control settings. Everything off it runs OK again after ~ 1 cold and a couple HOT key-on/key-offs. This is bad enough I consider SELLING it since it appears on the unrepairable given the tech training level we have around here (NH). Possibly anything I should look for on the hand held - like fuel trim or low E at ECU buss? I want to look for a pattern of corrupted look up tables (and I dont have OBDii scanner, but plan to purchace one.)

Thank you
i think this question deserves its own thread ;)
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #24
Yarice

Just finished my lil project, no more stupid TPMS light, AHHH YEAHHH!!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #25
ivanmadeline

Drives: 2008 Yaris (Sedan)
I tried this today on my car but the light came back on did any one have this problem after cutting the cables. Thanks
ivanmadeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #26
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanmadeline View Post
I tried this today on my car but the light came back on did any one have this problem after cutting the cables. Thanks
Was the light on before you clipped the wires? The system needs to start in a non-error state (i.e. light not on).
Old 11-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #27
ivanmadeline

The light was off. I took the car to the dealer for the first oil change and i change the rimms before i went i told the to chech the light that it was on an they reset it for me. I got a question I can remeber is it suppose to come on when you first start the car and it goes off again. Tha's what it was doing after they reset on the dealer but the light was off when i cut the wires. thanks for your response.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #28
Yarice

Mines didnt work either, my light came on after 15 miles or 15 minutes of driving. Started the car with no TMPS indicator light, shut the car off and cut the 2 wires and cap them and re-plugged the harness. Tired doing this twice, the second time I made sure the TMPS indicator lights wernt present and I disconnect and reconnected the lights came on after 15 miles.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #29
Yarice

this is what I did
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01063_640x480.shkl.jpg (65.9 KB, 533 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01068_640x480.shkl.jpg (49.7 KB, 523 views)
Old 11-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #30
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The system has to be in comm with the sensors when you do the mod (step 1). You need to have the sensors on your old rims (with tires) and have them next to the car before you shut it off and cut the wires.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #31
Yarice

Thats what I did, all 4 tires w/TMPS sensor were next to my new rims, then I started the car, no TMPS lights, then I shut off the car, then I cut and cap the wires, it was groovy for about 15 minutes.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:03 PM   #32
ivanmadeline

I had the factory rims with the sensors when I did all the steps. After I finished and saw the that the light was off I change the rims.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #33
Yarice

So your telling me I have to mount the stock wheels w/TMPS on first and then do all the the steps and them mount my new rims?
Old 11-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #34
ivanmadeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarice View Post
So your telling me I have to mount the stock wheels w/TMPS on first and then do all the the steps and them mount my new rims?
No I was letting CTScott know that i had the sensors on when I did all the steps and that It didn't work.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #35
CTScott
ULTIMATE

OK. Now we have to figure out what is different between the two of yours', and Linny's...
Old 11-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #36
ivanmadeline

Mine is and 08 Sedan stick just in case.