Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
oil filter canister?

so...what's the deal with the canisters replacing the traditional screw-on oil filter(the kind our yaris uses)? our camry will be due for it's first oil change soon and i've been reading that it doesn't use a traditional filter, but a reuseable canister that requires a special tool to install(special notched tool) and another uncommon size socket(27mm) to remove. granted the OCI is 10k so it's not like i will have to do it often, but i will have to buy these special parts once in addition to the oil itself(0w-20) and the element that goes inside the canister every time. just wondering if anyone here has experience doing oil changes on the toyota models that don't use traditional filters- is this just a conspiracy on the dealers part to get you to bring the vehicles in for service? thanks!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #2
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
it's not any different really. all you are doing is changing the filter element and not putting metal waste out. filters are available at any place that sells filters. they are cheaper too. 0w-20 is a normal weight of oil. nothing special, has been a normal oil for over 10 years now. you will be just fine to change it yourself. some of them have a nut on the bottom (27mm) and some have a filter socket. you can purchase a good filter socket for about $30usd. it is a one time purchase.
you are getting worked up over nothing.
now, other manufacturers are assholes. you have to use the dealer computer to reset maintenance counter. some do not have dipsticks...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:45 PM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I like it as it makes it easy to inspect any pieces in the filter. That said, I swapped out the parts to go back to a traditional spin on filter in my 2zr so I could use my sandwich plate adapter to run oil pressure and temp sensors.

The newer corolla's also with the 2zr's went back to the old spin on type
Old 04-07-2018, 10:29 PM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I guess you just have to bite the bullet and Buy what you need to to do the work. Having said that this is one of the craziest things I’ve ever seen done. I mean how is it cleaner than the regular spin on filter? It’s more complicated and harder to do. And They cost money to buy the new tools. I don’t see how it’s a good idea at all.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:42 AM   #5
bairjo

I recommend you get the correct Toyota part number for the wrench you need for that cars filter change. I had a cheap one someone recommended on this forum, which also fit on the yaris filter. However it did not hold up well and was always difficult to get off the filter. The toyota cap wrench is so much nicer to use. Here i a link to the one i got...which just may work for your car.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regardless, changing these filter is a pain in the ass. They create a bigger mess , you only get the internals of the filter but it is the same price as a spin on. You will need to get your torque wrench out to properly tighten the filter plug and o ring and also the cap and o ring. Our Rav4 has a plastic cap and can be over torqued. My sons Avalon has a cast aluminum oil cap housing that bottoms out with no need to check torque.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
^thanks! That's the exact tool I was looking at online. I wouldn't pay that much normally for such a specific tool, but I've got a $25 Amazon gift card that I didn't know what to do with. I enjoy doing my own oil changes and until we redeemed the 'free' one from the dealer with the purchase of our car nobody but myself has done one on any of our vehicles in almost 20 years!

Bonus- my dealer is offering me half-price on parts thru the end of the month so I think I'm going to stock-up on 0w-20 and filter elements while the gettin' is good! Just did the oil change on the Yaris, however. 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil1 Extended Performance filter so I'm good for another 10k miles.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote