Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-30-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
davembfan

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
My new 17's on 07 Yaris Sedan

Got these wheels and tires today, I want to lower it using lowering springs next. But I know there are potential associated problems with that. So what do you guys think, lowering the yaris: do the pros outweigh the cons??

davembfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:07 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Those are some unique looking rims. Are they red? If so, they might match up nicely with the Tanabe strut bar and some NST goodies. Give us the wheel specs, width, offset, and tire size, and we'll let you know which springs to use.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:27 AM   #3
davembfan

My rim size is 17" my tire is 205/40/17

how do i find out the offset?

the brand of the rim is Urban Racing type 8's

thanks a bunch!!
Old 06-30-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
davembfan

I googled them and it appears they are "17x7 +40mm" I dont know if that helps.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:58 AM   #5
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
nice. I have the same size, but I plan on going with a little taller sidewall on mine. Can't wait to see it lowered

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:02 AM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Exact same specs as my set up. I'm on Tein S.Tech's with TRD Sportivo struts/shocks. I get a slight rub on freeway dips up in front, mainly the left front. If you don't want any rubbing, stick with the Tanabe NF or Eibach/TRD, or any of the other springs that aren't as aggressive.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:22 AM   #7
davembfan

Would it be possible for anyone to link me to a good set of springs/whatever else I need that would cause minimal issues such as rubbing?

Here is the best I could find for the price, these could be cheapos but Im not sure...

http://www.slickcar.com/productdetai...ProductID=6354

thanks for all the help, guys!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:31 AM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Struts/shocks:
http://shop.microimageonline.com/pro...&productId=145

Springs:
http://shop.microimageonline.com/pro...=4&productId=9
or
http://shop.microimageonline.com/pro...4&productId=75

Can't beat Garm's prices.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
davembfan

do i need new shocks/struts or can i get by with only lowering springs? what problems would i face only installing the lowering springs and leaving everything else stock?
Old 06-30-2009, 02:43 AM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

You don't need new struts/shocks, but the extra dampening helps prevent bottoming out. The only problems you'll face would be that, bottoming out more easily, and the stock ones will wear out quicker than aftermarket ones. But there's members here who have driven 40k miles lowered, but with stock shocks and they don't have a problem. It just saves some time. hahaha.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:46 AM   #11
davembfan

ok, great, i like the look of the red on the tanabe springs. i also see the red tanabe strut bar on the same site which i would like to have. I have never had a strut bar, does it give a really noticeable difference in everyday driving?

have you had a lot of experience with micro image? i have never heard of them, do they ship stuff out pretty fast? They seem to have stuff for the best prices so I will order from them if they are reputable.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:07 AM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by davembfan View Post
ok, great, i like the look of the red on the tanabe springs. i also see the red tanabe strut bar on the same site which i would like to have. I have never had a strut bar, does it give a really noticeable difference in everyday driving?

have you had a lot of experience with micro image? i have never heard of them, do they ship stuff out pretty fast? They seem to have stuff for the best prices so I will order from them if they are reputable.
The strut bar will make a difference if you're an aggressive driver. If not, it still looks good. hehehe.

Yes, I've had a lot of experience with Micro Image (Garm, AKA Cali Yaris here on YW). Garm's shipping is super fast. Micro Image/Garm is a sponsor here. Also check us out over at http://microimage.ning.com/

Old 06-30-2009, 03:09 AM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

See, I use it for looks in the mean time. hahahaha, I won't be tracking my car until a couple of months.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:52 AM   #14
davembfan

I know this is on the wrong section. But I figure while were having a discussion it couldn't hurt to ask. but I would also like to add some louder exhaust. Is there any kind of precautions I need to take before I do this? Usually I just take it to a muffler shop and get a flo master installed.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:06 PM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

Nope, nothing really. Just stick with no more than 2" piping (2.25" piping like what I got is a bit much, and may end up losing torque in the low end). If you really want it loud, have the muffler shop start the new piping from the cat-back. Here's mine, 2.25" piping from the resonator-back to a Magnaflow muffler (watch in HQ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfOsST0HFNc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g86v...eature=channel (Taken with a cell phone)

I had a Flowmaster muffler with 2" piping (I think it was 2", if not, then 2.25") from the cat-back on my previous car, a GTI, and after I sold it, and the new owner drove off, I was still able to hear it 2-3 blocks away
Old 06-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
i have never heard of them, do they ship stuff out pretty fast? They seem to have stuff for the best prices so I will order from them if they are reputable.
I'm here to serve you, and always available by phone, email PM or chat.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #17
90tsi

Drives: 09 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Exact same specs as my set up. I'm on Tein S.Tech's with TRD Sportivo struts/shocks. I get a slight rub on freeway dips up in front, mainly the left front. If you don't want any rubbing, stick with the Tanabe NF or Eibach/TRD, or any of the other springs that aren't as aggressive.
this maybe a little dumb to ask but with the trd struts did it lower you anymore than just using stock struts and the s.techs? i havent even looked in any of the trd suspension i just know that they offer it
90tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #18
davembfan

Just thought I would post a few more pictures from in the daytime. I will also post these in the sticky about rim pictures... tell me what you guys think about the color contrasts between the red and silver, and do you think it would be worth it to lower it, or do you think it looks fine the way it is?

Tags
17's, lowering, rims, sedan, wheels