Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-02-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
alexuz

Drives: n/a
15hp/30Nm for the diesel engine

Hello
I'm new to this forum. I live in Sweden and I'm thinking about maybe buying the Yaris 1.4 D-4D in a couple of months (maybe even early 2007).

I found a place here in Sweden that can give the diesel engine 15hp extra and 30Nm (a total of 105hp and 220Nm). Thats pretty ok I think, the price for this upgrade is about 7000 swedish kronor. That is about 945 USD I think.
Here is a link to the company www.kcr.se

What would you guys think of that engine upgrade and some lowering springs, a nice wing at the back and some 17" rims with good tires?

Would these upgrades give the car a better edge on curvy roads?

EDIT:

I have another question. I have always wondered what a CAI filter and sport system exhaust give to a diesel engine? Will it give more hp or will it just screw up the good milage that the diesel engine gives?
alexuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:13 PM   #2
thewifesyaris

Drives: 2007 and 2008 MM Yari LBs
as for the engine mod off that website, it looks more like an engine tuner than an bolt on upgrade, and thats mostly why its so expensive. in america weve got the same type of thing going on but on much bigger turbo charged diesels. i dont see a really dramatic gain in a small diesel engine with a computer tuner. besides price per gained horsepower might be a little uneven. as for the rest of the upgrades your looking at... springs wheels and a wing, sure the springs and wider 7" wheel will help with manuverability and over fun to drive aspect. as for an intake, again ill use the big american diesel engines as a comparism. diesels dont ignite fuel they super pressurize it untill is gets hot enough to cumbst itself. so if you think back to your science classes, cold air is more dense than hot air, so if your looking to aid the diesel into pressurizing the fuel faster, give it dense air. with the big american diesels, we can see anywhere from 20-50 added hp and freed up torque from CAI but on something smaller that was designed for mph not hp, than i would probably hold off on engine upgrades and spend more money on exterior modifications first. besides im not sure to what type of aftermarket is available over where you are but in the us its going to be a wait before anything decent pops up on the less expensive side
Old 09-03-2006, 05:27 AM   #3
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
I think that TTE provides a tuning kit for this engine.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:18 AM   #4
alexuz

Thanx for the reply!

I have driven the D-4D yaris and I like the performance but It still feels a bit slow from "standing still" to 100km/h (60mp/h). It has much torque so the little car is good when its already moving at a higher speed.

What would be nessesary to increase the power to 115hp-120hp and maybe 230Nm or more? Will an sport system exhaust give anything from this engine?

Here in Sweden there are veeery few tuning parts for any japanese cars. Most tuning parts that sell here are for Saab, Volvo and VW, Audi, BMW etc etc (all german cars). There are some things for Honda and Nissan but not as much as for the other cars I mentioned earlier.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:20 AM   #5
Katana

Is it turbo diesel?
Old 09-03-2006, 01:55 PM   #6
alexuz

yes it is a 1.4L turbo diesel engine.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:32 PM   #7
Katana

It's easy then.You've got to change the turbine, or add a more efficient intercooler.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #8
alexuz

is there anything special with diesel engines when changing the turbo? I don't know that much about diesel engines at all. But I know how to tune a ordinary petrol engine.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #9
thewifesyaris

Drives: 2007 and 2008 MM Yari LBs
well some aspects of an engine are the same.. like an intake and an exhaust would help with the breathing aspects of your engine the same as if it ran off petrol. since you have a turbo diesel, look into upgrades. Like katana stated, just upgrade the size of your turbo would increase the amount of horsepower produced. An intake wont help a whole lot in your situation unless your turbo system doesn't run an intercooler. As for exhaust, since diesels pressurize their fuels so much a free flowing exhaust would help her breathe. But one thing about adding exhaust to diesels, is that the way your car is designed now, its very quite, to modify your exhaust it would let the all known diesel sounds come through, it wouldn't sound much like a four cylinder gas engine. I had a buddy here in the states put an exhaust on his turbo-diesel Jetta and it ended up sounding like a small truck. also when putting a bigger turbo on, remember bigger turbos take longer to spool so your power may not come until later in your rpms.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:27 AM   #10
Katana

Well said.You are totally correct.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:33 AM   #11
fox racer

Drives: uh... still on hold?
just dont add a huge turbo or your gonna get major turbo lag and that little diesel is gonna have a hard time trying to speed up.... also look into fuel injectors if u wanna talk about performance. turbo's are just gonna cram more air into the intake, hopefully colder air, colder air is more dense which means more fuel - more horsepower.... but don't overdo it cause you can possibly kill your internals... mainly the piston rings.. then your in deep doo-doo... u got any questions on diesel, gimme a shout
fox racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:00 PM   #12
Katana

Maybe you can just buy a DASTEK unichio, so as to get more pressure p.e. 1bar from the existing turbine and keep everything else untouched.