Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Yarice

Drives: 2008 LB Meteoric Metallic
Octane ?

Ive always been dumping 91 octane in my tank, can the yaris just use regular gas?
Yarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #2
Appalachian Trail 2007

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
its rated for 87 octane so 91 won't give you any advantages (other than in some places it has less ethanol)

Appalachian Trail 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
In the cooler weather you will not see any changes except higher cost.

The yaris is designed to run fine on 87 and the on-board ECU makes sure of it.

87 is regular then 89 91 and 93 or 94...... the higher the octane rating.... the slower the gas burn. Higher octanes work in hotter weather...... during the cooler months (like now) 87 octane will be burning with cooler and more dense air.

Run 2 tanks of 87 through the car and by the 2nd tank you will not be able to tell the differance.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #4
Yarice

Drives: 2008 LB Meteoric Metallic
Thanx guys, just put 9 gallons and it only cost me $21 instead $30-35 putting 91 octane.
Yarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
albee213

Drives: No longer own a Yaris
I know this is a dead post but your saying reg costs $2.33 per gallon and premium costs $3.50 per gallon, thats a huge difference.

I run mid grade, car seems to run best with that.

Costs to fill up reg 10 gal @ $3.90 = $39.00

Costs to fill up mid 10 gal @ $4.00 = $40.00

Costs to fill up Prem 10 gal @ $4.10 = $41.00

Fill up once a week costs me $52 more per year to use mid or $105 for prem.

Over all savings using regular fuel. Not worth mentioning.

If it costs be $1 per gallon more I would use the reg too.
albee213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
albee213

Drives: No longer own a Yaris
I read some information about the Yaris engine and I found out some interesting stuff.

The engine specs show 10.5 to 1 compression ratio which would mean it should use premium fuel to prevent early detonation.

This engine can use regular fuel do to improved technology in how the fuel is injected and the shape of the combustion chamber prevents pre-ignition of the fuel while squeezing a little bit more power out of the fuel.

After saying that I still use mid or prem due to the high compression ratio of the engine, to each their own.
albee213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:49 PM   #7
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
I experimented with this recent at the auto x. Used premium fuel as opposed to regular I usually run. I noticed quicker throttle response and the engine ran a bit smoother. Maybe it's all in my head. The more experienced users will know if premium fuel will change the timing the ecm gives
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by albee213 View Post
I read some information about the Yaris engine and I found out some interesting stuff.

The engine specs show 10.5 to 1 compression ratio which would mean it should use premium fuel to prevent early detonation.

This engine can use regular fuel do to improved technology in how the fuel is injected and the shape of the combustion chamber prevents pre-ignition of the fuel while squeezing a little bit more power out of the fuel.

After saying that I still use mid or prem due to the high compression ratio of the engine, to each their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_ View Post
I experimented with this recent at the auto x. Used premium fuel as opposed to regular I usually run. I noticed quicker throttle response and the engine ran a bit smoother. Maybe it's all in my head. The more experienced users will know if premium fuel will change the timing the ecm gives
Except that is bogus. The computers control the system so much more than 30 years ago. Everything is different and your ideas are just wrong. Toyota recommends 87 and it is a waste of money to run anything else on a near stock engine.

10.5 to 1 is not high compression anymore. There are gas engines that run more easily. Toyota has used this engine in this configuration for at least 20 years, probably longer. It is rock solid with the crappiest gas you can find to put into it.

Higher octane could make the engine run 'smoother' although that in no way equates to making more power or getting better throttle response, especially since the throttle is controlled by a computer.