Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2015, 07:43 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Should You Wash Your Engine? (no!)

Here is a picture of the wifes 05 Camry with 125k on it. Washing the engine often leads to PROBLEMS like not starting. Can be difficult to fix!

Clean as a whistle!
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2015, 08:15 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I only go as far as taking a wet soapy sponge and scrubbing the salt off of what I can after the alternator and battery have been covered with a plastic bag.

Then I wipe the soap down with a dry sponge.

Only do that after the winter. I personally would never spray the engine bay, too many electrical connectors now a days an those are a bitch to trace down problems from.

An engine will never be spot less if used as a DD. Although I find painted engine blocks cling to dirt less. If I ever have my engine out it'll get painted just like my valve cover. Keeps it much more clean then the rough porous metal
Old 10-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Before I knew any better, I soaked the engine of my 2000 Accord in engine cleaner/greaser and heavily sprayed it down with the hose (including alternator) quite a few times (with engine running), without covering anything. I never had any problems, and when I sold the car at nearly 200K miles, it still had the original alternator in it. I guess I was lucky, lol.

Now, I gently wipe/swab the engine bay of my Yaris monthly with a damp cloth and such to keep "build-up" from ever occurring.

Last edited by Kalispel; 10-29-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
power-wash with no problems all the time just use ur head cover critical areas.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
I oil spray my car every year, i throw the guy an extra $20 and tell him to double the oil lol. I do a lot of driving in salt and snow and dirt regualrily so i need the oil to stay on the car at all times. Hence why i never clean my engine bay. Its got a permanent barrier of protection that consists of dirt, oil and some road grime haha. No rust, havent had to change a single part under the hood and im at 110k of hard, abusive city and offroad driving. Plus, i like my engines like i like my women.... Slow and dirty! Bahahaa

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:46 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
^ Minus OEM battery, brace, valve cover, manifold and intake, it looks EXACTLY like mine. Well, maybe yours is slightly cleaner due to 5 years less road time.

A quote from back in 2009 after a post showing my engine bay was put up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AND189 View Post
frig your bay is dirty mate hit that with some drgreaser and a fire hose
Meh
Old 10-29-2015, 05:51 PM   #7
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
I'm in the no wash camp. Too many potential problems. I remove leaves and wipe down what I can with a damp rag a couple times a year. Good enough for me.

Unless you have a show car there is really no reason to be so concerned with the engine bay.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:38 PM   #8
soldout

Drives: 2010 Blazing Blue 3 Door LB
A clean engine bay shows the owner really cares about their ride and takes the extra time to clean areas often forgotten by most, its also easier to trace any oil or fluid leaks. Im also a firm believer that when your car is cleaner it gets treated better when you take it in for service. Its like brushing your teeth before you go to the dentist.
95' - Delsol VTEC ~ The Racecar
12' - Burgman 400 ~ Garage Queen
09' - Agility 125 ~ 80mpg Daily Rider
09' - Metropolitan ~ Weee
14' - Ecosmart Metro ~ Razor
soldout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:39 AM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldout View Post
A clean engine bay shows the owner really cares about their ride and takes the extra time to clean areas often forgotten by most, its also easier to trace any oil or fluid leaks. Im also a firm believer that when your car is cleaner it gets treated better when you take it in for service. Its like brushing your teeth before you go to the dentist.
Click and Clack used to say if your car is making a noise and you cant fix it, wash it.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:27 AM   #10
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
all electrical connectors should have triple seals on the outside terminal wires and o ring seals on the inside of the connectors. there should not be any problems with washing your engine...
BTW they power wash the engine at the dealership....
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote