Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #19
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
It will shift down destroying mpg.
For those of you who have automatics.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Will be heading out to Ohio again in a couple of weeks, same 'ol same 'ol, leave at night only this time might be a weeknight so I am more likely to run into night construction.

I WILL NOT MISS THAT BLOODY $1.00 TOLL IN EASTON, PA. AGAIN! For the life of me I still don't remember how the heck that happened.

Will pull over for a break, coffee and gas at Miranda Hills at the Wilco Hess, just off 81. and just shy of Harrisburg which is almost exactly the halfway mark for me. About 370 miles. If I am having a good run I may push it past 400 again.

Right now with about 75% city driving I am just under 38 mpg.

^Bronsin, there are two crazy climbs on this drive, well there are several but these are back to back, the second and less severe is right over the Ohio River climbing up and out entering Ohio westbound. The first, and the only time the Yari has ever downshifted on its own with the CC on is the climb just before that one.

I think it is in Triadelphia, W. VA. westbound, it shocked the hell out of me I thought I was going to stall out on the grade up.

CC comes off before those now.

Last edited by NEexpat; 05-20-2013 at 03:04 PM.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #21
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I am fortunate to live in NJ in the southern part where its completely flat!

I wonder is there a mod to prevent the auto trans downsshifting on grades?

Have you considered cc out and manual control back to compare the two? You can get creative with your foot but with cc not so much.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #22
NEexpat

^Not really. For this trip which is 12+ hours I keep the CC on as much as possible. Plus I've tried the CC on for a tank and no CC for the next with almost an identical driving profile and I couldn't match it.

I killed it at the Tappan Zee Bridge on the way home on the last trip and I saw the avg. drop for the rest of the trip home.

I'll be happy with anything over 42 mpg.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #23
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
I am fortunate to live in NJ in the southern part where its completely flat!
Yes, it is flat, but the New Jersey portion of the Philadelphia metro is still generally very pretty . The Houston metro (as you know) is pretty flat, and green, as well. I like flat... = better MPG ......and I'll take hurricanes over landslides (my part of the S.F. Bay Area) and earthquakes. Until I sent pictures after Hurricane Ike, most of my family (a pretty well traveled bunch) still thought Houston looked like El Paso .
Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #24
NEexpat

Leaving for Columbus, OH again tonight. Will post the numbers when I get them.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #25
NEexpat

Drove back from Columbus yesterday. Here are the numbers for the outbound leg.

738.3 miles

17.1 gals.

43.17 mpg.

Btw- Correction I stop at Manada Hills, not Miranda Hills. It is about the halfway point for this trip. Caught a little traffic just east of Columbus for about 10-15 min, otherwise nothing.

NOW here are the return numbers. I double checked them.

744.5 miles

16.047 gals.

46.39 mpg.

It was warmer, left at noon, Didn't run the A/C. I knew the mileage would be good when I didn't drop the 1st. bar until around 104 miles, 2nd dropped at 176.

I kept the CC on all through NY and CT unlike the previous trip. No traffic delays at all.

This is the best mileage I have ever achieved. What a great little car!

I've got some pics. on my phone of the UltraGauge, Odometer, gas pump etc. Have to download them.

At one point the UltraGauge had my MPG 49.4 lol.

I only use the actual pump numbers, and always stop at the first click.

I am convinced that the ambient temp is the most important factor, at least for me, to get those kind of numbers.

Cheers.

Last edited by NEexpat; 06-23-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #26
bronsin

Yes the hotter the better as far as temperature.

I just got 35 mpg all short distance (less than 7 miles a trip) stop and go driving.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #27
NEexpat

********Just a follow-up**********

I'm not going to start as new thread or comment on another, i'll just follow-up on mine.

My mpg right now, almost all city driving A/C on stop and go, traffic etc. is now at 34.2 mpg.

Just got an oil change 2 weeks ago, with bottle of Techron. Tires at 38 psi.

So there is over a 12 mpg. difference from what I logged in on my most recent trip to Ohio. 12 mpg. difference, and i'm not concerned a wit.

So to all those who feel their mileage is not what it should be, my advice for what it is worth, take it or leave it, is what it is and always has been. Fill up and go for a 4 or 5 hour highway drive with the CC on, and then check your mileage.

cheers,

BTW- I will heading out to OH again in about 6 weeks, and I am so convinced that my mileage like almost everyone else's here is primarily a direct result of ambient temperature and length and type of drive/commute. I probably won't even log my mileage here on my upcoming trip because it has been pretty consistant. Low to mid 40's depending on the temperature, on an automatic.

Last edited by NEexpat; 08-02-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #28
NEexpat

Just washed the egg, windows Invisible Glass, check the fluids, tire pressure etc. Check, check, check and check.

Yup, getting ready to head out to Blacklick again. You guys are probably sick of this thread by now.

Same old stuff, 735 miles +/- each way, one stop, halfway point, CC on all the time, get through CT,NY,NJ in the dead of night and based on the temp outside I would be surprised if I wasn't running 40-42 mpg for the first 6 hours or so then 42+ when it warms up outside.

Gotta be extra vigilant this time of year for deer.

Currently running 35.4 mpg almost all city.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #29
bronsin

No way! Keep it coming dude!

Whats invisible glass? Sounds good!
Old 10-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #30
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
No way! Keep it coming dude!

Whats invisible glass? Sounds good!
I agree.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #31
NEexpat

Stoners Invisible Glass. HERE

It's the glass cleaner I use, easy spray on, or spray on a rag and no streaks. I had a windshield replaced a few years ago on my Honda and that is what the glass guys were using.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #32
NEexpat

Got back a couple of days ago.

Here are the numbers:
Outbound leg - 40.5 mpg
Return leg - 41.8 mpg

MPG's about what I expected, a little low but it was cold out. I was checking the air intake temps. (it is some of the things I do on 12+ hour drives) as the temps dropped so did the mpg's. The gals./hr. number would increase as the temp dropped.

Odd thing happened just before I left. I was filling up for the trip home and the pump kept clicking off, at 2 gals. at 4 gals, at 5.8 gals, when it got to where I thought it would be full and it clicked I stopped so as not to overfill. Set UltraGauge to full tank, zeroed out the mpg and reset trip computer functions.

Had hoped to get to the Cabelas apprx. 417 miles down the road before I had planned to stop for gas and a bite to eat. Was at 388 miles and had been driving on 2 bars for quite a few miles and decided why chance anything, plus all the clicking at the gas station left me unsure as to whether or not I had actually filled up.

Turns out the UltraGauge was right had apprx 2+ gals. left. Could have easily made it to my pit stop. But again, when in doubt stop and get gas, plus I am not a big fan of driving with that little gas and who knows what other stuff is in the bottom of the tank, etc.

Again, great little car.

Of course the UltraGauge only knows what I plug into it, I just guessed the tank was pretty much full.

Last edited by NEexpat; 11-06-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #33
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post
the pump kept clicking off, at 2 gals. at 4 gals, at 5.8 gals
Just out of curiosity, does Ohio require a full 'sleeve/seal' around the nozzle? No requirement at all? (I've been to Ohio, but not since 2007 (IIRC), so I don't remember what the pumps look like (California = many sleeves almost made of steel (hard to hold away) and New Mexico (unless changed since 2010) = many, many pumps with no sleeve at all)).

I paid $2.709 gal. for gas a couple of hours ago (Kroger at US 290 and Spring-Cypress Rd -- cheapest in the metro area per Gas Buddy ($2.739 - 3 cent Kroger Card discount). This is the least I've paid for gas in months IIRC off the top of my head.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #34
bronsin

Yes WHY people drive down to a blinking bar is beyond me. So many ways that could be trouble!

Gas 299 here in NJ woo hoo!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #35
NEexpat

Nook. I know the recapture system you mentioned, we have it here in the Commonwealth. They don't have that in OH. I think it was just a faulty pump handle.

I would have done better on the way back but three times I got hung up in night construction in CT. At one point I turned the car off and sat for a good 10 min.

Gas in OH was $3.29 the day I filled up, Here in MA. Shell station $3.25, Hess $3.19

Two things I still want to do with the egg, at some point install the Fiamm El Grande horns and then dive into the world of touch up paint to address some of little issues emerging on my front end.

Looked into this in the past and watched some real experts work on Maybachs and Benzes. If I learned anything it is that there is no "magic" pen that you run over the scratch or chip and voila' gone. Even a clear coat pen has to be smoothed out and buffed up.

It is a process and to do it correctly requires time, time, patience and the secret, (as revealed to me by a touch up master)........................................... toothpicks, really lots of toothpicks.

Last edited by NEexpat; 11-07-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #36
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post
construction in CT.
I drove from Newport, RI to Piscataway, NJ (through Providence, RI and Nyack, NY) on October 24th (late afternoon and night) and there was much highway construction around Providence and in CT. Trying to get as much as possible done before too much inclement weather?. I ended up driving the Merritt/Hutchinson River (no construction, and of course no trucks) from Stamford to I-287 for the latter part of the east of the Hudson segment of the trip

Quote:
Two things I still want to do with the egg, at some point install the Fiamm El Grande horns
Great reviews on Amazon, especially from Toyota owners. My grandfather loved trains. He found some company that made horns that sounded like the horn on some Southern Pacific locomotives. Whenever he got a new Lincoln or Cadillac, he would have the stock horn replaced with one of those aftermarket horns.

Quote:
and then dive into the world of touch up paint to address some of little issues emerging on my front end.

Looked into this in the past and watched some real experts work on Maybachs and Benzes. If I learned anything it is that there is no "magic" pen that you run over the scratch or chip and voila' gone. Even a clear coat pen has to be smoothed out and buffed up.

It is a process and to do it correctly requires time, time, patience and the secret, (as revealed to me by a touch up master)........................................... toothpicks, really lots of toothpicks.
Right you are. I toured the Benz factory in Alabama in early October, and the part of the paint process they let the public see is inspiring. I included the percentage of manufacturing time that they devote to the paint job in an earlier post (can't remember the number off the top of my head) and that percentage is significantly larger than any other single part of the manufacturing process. It makes sense that touching up would also require a laser like, detailed focus.