Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-28-2014, 12:51 AM   #19
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post

I guess I should be thankful that that desire is LONG gone. I had one JL Audio 300/4 in my 'just before Yaris' Swift (way, way way toned down from previous cars) and that was enough. I'll probably put that amp in my 2014 Yaris...if it is still okay when I pull it out of storage. On both the car side and the home side, it can become an addiction of a certain type....forever chasing a zenith that you can tell yourself you haven't yet reached. I hope my hearing stays great for a long time. If the point where my grandfather's hearing started to falter is any indication, I have another 30 years. However, he wasn't an audiophile/audio enthusiast....and was young way before Rock music ever existed .
And it is really expensive. I have a simple upgraded head unit and stock speakers, and what I play sounds great since it is a lossless format burned straight from the cd. Sound quality you can't get any other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
You got it just the wrong way around. Of course if the maximum speed limit in in the Soviet People's Republic of Cape Codistan is 55 mph, same as the highest temps, you'd be right for your location.

Even before there WAS A/C owner's manuals recommended to use the wing vents and the fans for cooling rather than the windows because of decreased fuel economy.
The highway is 55, but usually I never go near it, since I am on the other side of the cape from it. I will try and see if that makes a difference on the roads I do travel.

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Why? agreed with this sentiment . He thinks that the world would be better off if 90% of the people in the U.S. Northeast ceased to exiist .
Not just the northeast, but the planet. The Georgia Guidestones are right, the world would be better off with less people, as long as I get to hand pick those who are allowed to stay. If not, then we should really stop being so damn lazy and colonize the moon, mars, and build a massive array of space stations in our solar system. We've totally slacked off in that area and it is really depressing. We could easily fit the entire world's population onto self sustaining space stations if we actually tried.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:20 AM   #20
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Not just the northeast, but the planet. The Georgia Guidestones are right, the world would be better off with less people, as long as I get to hand pick those who are allowed to stay. If not, then we should really stop being so damn lazy and colonize the moon, mars, and build a massive array of space stations in our solar system. We've totally slacked off in that area and it is really depressing. We could easily fit the entire world's population onto self sustaining space stations if we actually tried.
Hear, hear, Judge why?

As you know, many people feel there are roadblocks (to say the least)...............http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/dgr...lete-disarray/
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #21
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Hear, hear, Judge why?

As you know, many people feel there are roadblocks (to say the least)...............http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/dgr...lete-disarray/
That is on purpose though. Nasa as it use to be stopped existing a while ago, and the entire space agency is completely black. They chose to view it as a military project, so even though they are spending literally countless amounts of our money exploring space they think we should not know what they are doing.

Makes all those theories about the Apollo missions discovering massive ruins on the moon a little believable.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:59 PM   #22
nobodywise

Drives: Yaris sedan
I also heard that fueling the car at night gets you more gas? I guess due to evaporation?

I love the back of my car, the front... not so much
nobodywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #23
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodywise View Post
I also heard that fueling the car at night gets you more gas? I guess due to evaporation?

It is a bad rumor made by people who do not know gas is stored underground and is always very close to 55 degrees no matter what the outside temp is.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #24
nobodywise

Drives: Yaris sedan
Quote:
It is a bad rumor made by people who do not know gas is stored underground and is always very close to 55 degrees no matter what the outside temp is.
I've been living a lie all these years lol

nobodywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:51 PM   #25
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
It is interesting though that some pumps will say that they measure volume not energy content, which can change with temperature of the fuel (density)
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #26
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_ View Post
It is interesting though that some pumps will say that they measure volume not energy content, which can change with temperature of the fuel (density)
Except that the temp of the fuel will always be the same. Ambient temp has zero effect on the temp of the fuel when you pump it, because it is stored far enough beneath the ground that the ambient temp will not matter.

All pumps measure volume. You cannot measure energy content outside of a lab.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #27
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Ambient temp has zero effect on the temp of the fuel when you pump it, because it is stored far enough beneath the ground
I can see the need for 'deep enough' just from a personal experience re another liquid (water). During the hottest temperatures of any summer here, the cold water in my house isn't exactly what I would call cold. Same for my next door neighbor. He's retired from the construction industry, and he says it is because the builder didn't bury the pipes deep enough .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #28
wufai

Drives: Silver Yaris Sedan (4A)
the Mythbusters show did a study on this exact topic, The results showed that (at least for their particular test car, not a Yaris) that it depends on the speed you are driving at, at highway speeds it is acturally better to turn on AC then opening the windows as the drag does affect gas milage, while in local traffic opening the windows gives better gas milage.
wufai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #29
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by wufai View Post
the Mythbusters show did a study on this exact topic, The results showed that (at least for their particular test car, not a Yaris) that it depends on the speed you are driving at, at highway speeds it is acturally better to turn on AC then opening the windows as the drag does affect gas milage, while in local traffic opening the windows gives better gas milage.
except i guarantee they were using a truck or something totally non economical.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #30
Jcp123

Drives: '00 Echo
Windows open do contribute to drag...you're breaking the smoother wid line and instead forcing it into a dead end in the car. Lower speeds? No big deal. Higher speeds it starts to suck more and more. And ac is always a huge killer on these little engines. It sucks about 5mpg or so, consistently, on the highway, and more like 8-10mpg in town. Bleagh.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #31
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcp123 View Post
Windows open do contribute to drag...you're breaking the smoother wid line and instead forcing it into a dead end in the car. Lower speeds? No big deal. Higher speeds it starts to suck more and more. And ac is always a huge killer on these little engines. It sucks about 5mpg or so, consistently, on the highway, and more like 8-10mpg in town. Bleagh.
Those numbers you are throwing out are all a decade or more out of date, and 100% dependent on vehicle type.

Your point is somewhat correct on the open windows, but not on the ac. We are in the era of more and more electronics and manufacturers are doing everything they can to get better gas mileage numbers, including electric ac, which does not hurt gas mileage as much or at all depending on the car.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #32
Jcp123

Drives: '00 Echo
I suppose that's true. I am using numbers observed from my Echo, rather elderly now I suppose. I barely use ac. Larger vehicles are of course less affected by ac use, as the power needed to drive the compressor is proportionately much less.