Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-14-2007, 01:55 AM   #37
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
so, getting the S sedan? heh...it's cool, but it doesn't have as much aftermarket support as the LB's.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:04 AM   #38
JosephDoc

Drives: 07 Yaris 3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
I know what it is, just can't figure out why.

I think you need to check out some of our local cars if you think the aftermarket is thin here - the skirts and spoilers that you guys get so excited about are a dealer-fitted optional accessory, and that's only just the beginning.

You can't get more JDM than importing your own RHD Vitz from Japan. Long ago, one issue of Import Tuner had this guy taking a bare US-market EK Civic hatchback and hanging all-JDM parts onto it, from a genuine EK Type R engine, gearbox, seats, etc. Fine for show and great to read about. He probably went to great expense to do it as well, but it still remained LHD. It kind of takes the shine off the JDM look.

The car costs about US $32000 over here (damn taxes!). Our car's aren't JDM either (made in Thailand). We do have JDM Vitz as a small volume parallel import, and done the comparison, if you wanted to get down to it being JDM through and through, are you going to swap the front windscreen glass just because one is inscribed "Toyota Japan" and the other simply says "Toyota Safety Glass"?

Its just one of probably hundreds of tiny differences that set the Vitz apart from the Yaris.

Its slight, but while both cars look like twins, the more you look around, the more differences you pick up, it feels a little less well put together, the engine sounds a little rougher than a JDM 1NZ-FE, it lacks certain quirky but nice little touches of JDM that have probably been deleted to simplify the manufacture.

Like the guy with the LHD Civic EK9 Type R, it would be a supreme effort to make your car pukka JDM as you want. I'm not raining on your parade, just wondering why, as it is pretty difficult. You wouldn't be the first guy to want to JDM his Yaris, and I suggested the same thing to him the last time - buy a JDM Vitz.

I am sorry for your initial big bucks to buy the car over there. $30K us money proly can get 3 LBs here. More about it, us modle here are
"100% Made in Japan"; at least my window sticker said so and also stated its origin province in Japan.

Anyone can spend big bucks on the car to make the car more JDM authentic, but there is always a line of acceptance level, and everyone's line draw differently. The LB model here comes with 2-door only, which did not give me a chance of letting the car been more JDM authentic, but at least Toyota told me that it was actually built in Japan. I am not that crazy to wish the IC chips inside ECM were also Japan-made, but at least I can tell myself: "Joe, this xxxxx part was made and imported from Japan, and now I am about to put it in to my car".

I am hardcore in JDM parts at an illness level (I have seen worse!); JDM IS A PART OF MY CULTURE AND THAT IS MY REASON OF BEEN HARDCORD IN JDM. I'v even asked one of our club vendor/moderator if he knows his O/E parts were actually Jap made. It turned out he is not sure and no one knows if JDM O/E parts were really Jap made either. My brain was tired so I called up my connection and asked to import all parts from Japan Toyota dealer for me. That is the only way for me to tell myself "Yes, I have tried my best".

About the body kit..... yup, same here. I will not put up any bodykit on it since it is my only car that I can eat out peacefully without worry, and stop asking for a table by window. I am not playing cheap on this car, because I have 50% of whole car in custom warp-around-edge clearbra. That costs more than a nice set of JDM bodykit with made-in-usa installation labor.

If you have question about clearbra and where to get the best... mine was done at a store officially contracted by Ferrari, Lambo, Prosche dealers nationwide. I think their work can be considered the best clearbra on Earth! (my LB set a new record of "the cheapest car" in that store's history also )

Joseph
----------------------
FIY about best clearbra company: Premier Mobile Group
Sample pic here "They offer on site service if you pay for their travel"

JosephDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:59 AM   #39
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephDoc View Post
<snip>
That's cool mate. Glad to see you like the car that much to give it the royal treatment.

Maybe its because I had the chance to go over a Vitz RS that I felt it was futile to try to make a JDM replica, but hey, its your car and your money.

Best of luck!
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:31 AM   #40
RodimusPrime

Drives: 1998 Intrepid
Nah, Haven't decided on either an LB or an S. Trying to configure ideas of a path I'll take with either one. The S will allow for more ease in transportation of my kiddo and my girlfriend likes it a lot. On the other hand, I prefer the LB even with the look of disgust on my gf's face.

If I were to go with the S, I'll be going all out with a flat/matte paint. It looks LOADS sexier without a gloss.

Flat black S Sedan dropped with Tiens on 17" bronze anyone?
RodimusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:42 AM   #41
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
That's cool mate. Glad to see you like the car that much to give it the royal treatment.

Maybe its because I had the chance to go over a Vitz RS that I felt it was futile to try to make a JDM replica, but hey, its your car and your money.

Best of luck!
Well, as far as I can see, "JDM" is all the rage in the US now (just pick up any magazine like Import Tuner or Modified...). It's kind of understandable too, even just looking at the Yaris, in the US they usually get a much different and often inferior version of the Japan-spec car. So, these guys want to bring their cars back to the same kind of level as it should have been, with original parts from Japan. Over time, though, "JDM" has evolved to not include just OEM parts, but other parts and mods which are very Japanese-style.
Some may consider it a pointless waste of money, some may consider it fanatical attention to detail, but it does take a lot of time and dedication to track down these odds and ends that will bring your car closer to what it should really have been like...

As for myself, I see my car as a kind of jack of all trades, master of none... It's gotta look good, it's gotta look somewhat aggressive, but not extreme. Burnout bodykit, smoked head and tail lights, eyelids, and a big fat white stripe down the middle will achieve just that. It'll also need to have a bit more oomph, an engine swap, over here at least, is the most cost-effective way to do this. As much as I would want a mental turbo 3S-GTE swap, the 2ZZ-GE seems most likely, as it is still a decently economical engine when driven below 6000RPM.
Sound system is just fine as it is, not gonna win any sound level or quality awards, but more than enough for me to enjoy, and does not weigh a ton.
Inside, eventually I want to cover most of the dash and consoles in black leather with red stitching to continue the theme, and CF trim parts.

But most of that'll be next year, now is the time to plant a few money trees before anything can happen

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:00 AM   #42
Disturb3dMind3d

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
My plans are as follows:

Car alarm
Shark fin or shorter stub antenna
Maybe upgrade speakers or just subs and amp
Mud guards/ mud flaps
Custom interior lighting kit
and much much more when I pay off my car...
Disturb3dMind3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #43

Drives: 07 yaris
all i want is some cornering exit power

so my goals are

turbo or supercharger
cusco coilovers
some chassis bracing
lsd and clutch
some recaro seats
that pretty much sums the next mod batch

curently have
TRD shocks
TRD rear sway
tanabe df210
tint
stereo

goals really are to kick the fun factor up a couple of notches and as for gas milage it willl still get over 30+
Old 06-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #44
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
so, getting the S sedan? heh...it's cool, but it doesn't have as much aftermarket support as the LB's.
I liked the Sedan because it looks like a mini-Camery and it has four doors.
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #45
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
My LB is paid for and is my daily while I work on other projects.

Its got:

wheels
lip kit / spoiler
painted interior / engine cover
sub box / amp / deck and lighted filler

Been trying to find a complete 2zz with harness for a swap but theres nothing around here. Other projects were delayed so this whole engine swap thing looks like its going to have to wait. We always have multiple vehicles so not having the Yaris for a month is no biggy, plus I dont have to worry about payments etc.

I havent done much with it since the wheels since an engine swap was in the works there really isnt a point to buying a header, exhaust etc - only thing Id like to add is the Tein Coilovers.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #46
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
My next Yaris goal is to have DOOR SILL PROTECTORS imported from a the US, an American dealership I guess.

They are no longer offered up here in Canada (seriously annoyed at that!), so I'll hafta see about importing, but the one I found on ebay who sells them wont ship them to Canada. Ugh.

Eventually I hope to figure out this situation. Its already costing me more than I want to pay (than it should), bc I'm buying in Americans dollars and they are listed at above the price originally sold for up here, AND I have to them shipped to me.

Such is life... but I REALLY want these damn door sill protectors. They are such a nice, classy, hot touch/accent to any car if you ask me.

I love them! ^5
Old 06-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #47
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodimusPrime View Post
Nah, Haven't decided on either an LB or an S. Trying to configure ideas of a path I'll take with either one. The S will allow for more ease in transportation of my kiddo and my girlfriend likes it a lot. On the other hand, I prefer the LB even with the look of disgust on my gf's face.

If I were to go with the S, I'll be going all out with a flat/matte paint. It looks LOADS sexier without a gloss.

Flat black S Sedan dropped with Tiens on 17" bronze anyone?
that'll look nice. which bronze tho, the dark one, or the one that looks almost gold? bronze is never the same with each company...bah. but yeah, just let us know when you pick one up.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #48
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigal View Post
I liked the Sedan because it looks like a mini-Camery and it has four doors.
yeah, it's like if a Camry and a Corolla had a baby. lol...
Old 06-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #49
grampi

Drives: Corolla
First, I need to buy one. I'm looking at purchasing a new '08 model, 5 speed with alloys, cold weather package, fog lights, arm rests, spoiler, rear bumper protector in absolute red. Hopefully, Toyota will make crusie control and a tach avaialble in the LB for '08.

I will probably add plus one size tires and wheels. I also have a pretty nice after market sound system which is currently in my daughter's car that I am also considering installing, as long as it doesn't require cutting up the interior.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #50
gabagooo

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Swaybars.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:20 PM   #51
gabagooo

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Oh, yeah, fog lights
Old 06-14-2007, 05:20 PM   #52
RodimusPrime

Drives: 1998 Intrepid
It would be a dark bronze, I'm not one for the "gold" appeal.

Flat Black S Sedan
Low Pro Wing
17" Bronze Wheels
Tien Coilovers (various other suspension mods)
Bride Front Buckets w/ Matched Interior
Alipine System

Far as Performance goes, I'd like to have around the mid 100s at the ground. Nothing crazy seeing how the power to rate ratio could be fantastic. Still trying to decide which route I would want to take.

With that, I think I'd have a pretty stoute and mean looking Yaris.
RodimusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:20 PM   #53
Kaotic Lazagna

cool, yeah, i want to have my whp somewhere in the mid 100s too.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:59 PM   #54
JosephDoc

Drives: 07 Yaris 3D
Quote:
My custom clearbra is there to protect this 100%-Japan-made car. My heart goes if I see a rock-chipped mark on the bumper/hood. If I really see one then I can say... "Joe, you did the clearbra... you did your best already" Don't feel bad if you are not getting a Jap made car because Toyota is about to produce their economic line(s) in China around 2010.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=120972

I am glad you see there are us-people in U.S. who are bone-level-JDM here. I am nothing to compare with my friends in Southern California, and I am sure they are here watching our posts and getting good laughs already. There are strong JDM dudes will do everything to convert us-JDM cars to a true JDM level. (I also hope you get the joke when everytime I use the "us" word )

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Well, as far as I can see, "JDM" is all the rage in the US now (just pick up any magazine like Import Tuner or Modified...). It's kind of understandable too, even just looking at the Yaris, in the US they usually get a much different and often inferior version of the Japan-spec car. So, these guys want to bring their cars back to the same kind of level as it should have been, with original parts from Japan. Over time, though, "JDM" has evolved to not include just OEM parts, but other parts and mods which are very Japanese-style.
Some may consider it a pointless waste of money, some may consider it fanatical attention to detail, but it does take a lot of time and dedication to track down these odds and ends that will bring your car closer to what it should really have been like...
Thanks again, Mr. vendor/moderator.
JosephDoc is offline   Reply With Quote