Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > California
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2007, 10:50 PM   #37
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
oic. How much does it cost for a ref to check the car and give you a certificate?
Old 06-11-2007, 05:37 PM   #38
El Jefe

Drives: 07 yaris s sedan
thing is you need to be written a ticket first, but you already put the stock one on and got a cop to sign it off correct? well next time you get an exhaust ticket go to the ref, i dont think is costs very much, i know the smog inspection there is $35 i think
Old 06-14-2007, 11:36 PM   #39
yrsdrgn

o man...i just helped my friend buy something for his ds and accidentially used my bank account (which has exact money for the fix it ticket.) I sent the check in last friday and I don't know if they have tried accepting it yet. If i deposit money into my account tomorrow will I be ok or will the check bounce?
Old 06-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #40
yrsdrgn

Ok Final update and closure of this topic:I received a letter in the mail from the Court yesterday that read "We are returning your check/money order in the amount of $122.25 for the reason(s) check below.................(X) Per the Traffic Commissioner your proof of correction has been accepted. A $10.00 dismisall fee is required to close this matter. Please remit your payment by 07-05-07"

So basically i got all freaked out and stressed just for this!!!!!!!! this system really blows................
Old 06-24-2007, 12:02 PM   #41
smokinyaris

Drives: bad boy
hey bro after you get the ticket signed off at the chp or where evr you go to you need to go to the court and than pay there fees its about $15 plus pay another $10 i think for abstract so u can take that to the DMV so they can clear the ticket off your record if not it will remain on your record.
smokinyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #42
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Sounds like he just let you off with a cheap ticket and was bitchy about your exhaust.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #43
Battlekat

Drives: Yaris 4 door. Sport
lol so much bad information in this thread. I guess just simply from inexperienced people. El Jefe seems to know their stuff though. So listen to him!

Cops can ticket you for anything and there isnt a damn thing you can do about it. Being an ass to their face will only raise the likelyhood that they will start looking for reasons to give you more tickets or arrest you if they search your car and find anything you shouldnt have. So be smart when talking to cops. Minimize the amount you have to talk to them and get out as quick as possible. When it comes to traffic stops, their job is to generate revenue for the city. Always take care of any ticket they insist they are going to give you on the back end by following the instruction above about getting your car checked and sending in the proper paper work to get the ticket removed. You will always have to pay a court administration fee regardless. Which is the 10 bucks after you get a fix it ticket signed off. Keep all certifications with you or copies of them and never, i mean NEVER use stolen parts or relocate your VIN number. Cars are being destroyed without question that they think they are being used for illegal street racing. Stolen parts and fishy VIN number movements are huge red flags for the cops and you are only asking for more trouble.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:12 PM   #44
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Eh, for future reference whats a 'ref' and do they have them in Florida???
Old 07-03-2007, 06:31 PM   #45
Battlekat

Drives: Yaris 4 door. Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
Eh, for future reference whats a 'ref' and do they have them in Florida???
They may or may not have then in Florida, but probably. Check the FL DMV website.

In CA:

A "Referee" is a DMV a BAR approved Referee workshop or station that one is refered to by the DMV for certain things. Usually emission test and inspection of custom built vehicles and imported exotics.

Taken from the CA DMV website
----
A Referee Center is a state-contracted vehicle emissions test facility that provides certain Smog Check
services for motorists. A Referee Center is authorized to offer specialized inspection services that are beyond
the scope of California's licensed Smog Check stations. Referee Centers are located primarily at California
Community Colleges throughout the state.

Referee Centers also provide training and work experience opportunities. The Bureau of Automotive Repair
(BAR) trains referees and provides technical direction and equipment. Referees also train students for careers
in the automotive industry.

Referee Centers:

Inspect Vehicles with Engine Changes, Gray Market Vehicles, and Specially Constructed
Vehicles
Engine Changes.

Vehicles whose original engines have been replaced with an engine not originally
offered for that vehicle’s year, make, or model.

Gray Market Vehicles.

Vehicles imported into the United States that do not meet U. S. EPA standards.

Specially Constructed Vehicles.

Vehicles, such as dune buggies or kit cars, that are deemed “specially
constructed” by the DMV.

Once these vehicles are inspected and certified by a Referee Center, a BAR label will be affixed to the
vehicle. Any licensed Smog Check station may perform subsequent inspections as long as the BAR label
remains in place and the vehicle’s emissions equipment remains the same.

Certify Vehicles with Limited Parts Exemptions
Motorists whose vehicles fail a Smog Check because of missing or modified emission-related parts, must
replace those parts. The BAR’s Emissions Parts Locator service helps motorists locate difficult to find
emissions parts or if the parts cannot be found, a Limited Parts Exemption is issued. When a Limited
Parts Exemption is issued, the motorist must take his or her vehicle to a Referee Center for inspection. If
it passes all other aspects of the Smog Check inspection, the vehicle will be certified. If the parts are
available in time for the next required smog inspection, they must be installed before the vehicle can be
certified. BAR’s Emissions Parts Locator service can be reached at (800) 826-3566.

Issue Smog Check Repair Cost Waivers
Repair Cost Waivers are available to everyone who has a vehicle that fails a biennial inspection and
who's emission system has not been tampered with. It allows a vehicle to be registered without passing its
Smog Check inspection by providing a temporary (two year) extension of time to complete all emissions-related
repairs. To qualify, at least $450 in emissions-related repairs must be made to the vehicle at a licensed Smog
Check station. The waiver may only be used once by a motorist during their ownership of the vehicle.
----
Link to website