Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #91
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
I have a factory Cruise stalk if anyone is interested
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cruise stalk.jpg (8.9 KB, 529 views)
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:35 AM   #92
yaris07hb
PnutKar

Drives: 2011 Liftback w/manual box
Cruise Mod installed in '07 LB

Thanks to all you good people that did the research on this. Here are photos of my install. I approached this in four stages:

1) Test box to verify my connections and functionality.
2) Installation of permanent switches.
3) Illumination of same.
4) Construction and installation of a CTScott-based LED module.

I was going to install a spring-centered momentary rocker in the power mirror blank-off plate but couldn't find one that's backlit. In another thread I found that the HVAC panel has plenty of empty space so I went with the mushroom momentary switches with a separate LED connector. In retrospect, I should have gone with 14mm from the edge of the HVAC panel instead of 13mm to give the buttons a more centered look. I placed a terminal block behind the passenger glove compartment on a handy brace I found in the corner, making all my connections there. I used a 2K resistor on each LED and tied into the lighting control rheostat at pin 2 (-) and pin 5 (+). I've collected and/or purchased all the goodies for the "cruise on" LED module, assembled it to my experiment breadboard and am in the process of figuring out why it doesn't bench test properly. Once that's done, I'll decide were to put my indicator LED. Yes, I could use the LED's in the buttons but I want them illuminated so I can find them in the dark. One mod that I intend to execute is a tach install - I'm thinking that would be a nice place for my LED. We'll see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yaris_cruise_buttons1.jpg (27.7 KB, 517 views)
File Type: jpg yaris_cruise_buttons2.jpg (5.8 KB, 509 views)
yaris07hb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #93
hirstmusic
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris Sedan
DIY Cruise and Power Steering (P/S) Indicator

Hey guys,

My brother helped me install the DIY cruise control today, and it works great! Tonight however, I was testing the cruise again and randomly the P/S (Power Steering) indicator came on. It may have come on after one of the following, but I'm not sure exactly what cause this... I tried to recreate the problem. It might have come on because...

1) I accidentally held "Cancel" instead of "Set" - would that cause a problem?
2) I tried to "Set" the cruise below 25 mph, which I know isn't supported, wondering if that was the problem and the light came on then.

Has anyone experienced something similar with the DIY Cruise Control and the Power Steering indicator? If so, what was the issue you found with it?

Any help would be really appreciated... I just want to make sure nothing is going to blow up or melt down or anything :-) Thanks!

Last edited by hirstmusic; 12-19-2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: title
hirstmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #94
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirstmusic View Post
Hey guys,

My brother helped me install the DIY cruise control today, and it works great! Tonight however, I was testing the cruise again and randomly the P/S (Power Steering) indicator came on. It may have come on after one of the following, but I'm not sure exactly what cause this... I tried to recreate the problem. It might have come on because...

1) I accidentally held "Cancel" instead of "Set" - would that cause a problem?
2) I tried to "Set" the cruise below 25 mph, which I know isn't supported, wondering if that was the problem and the light came on then.

Has anyone experienced something similar with the DIY Cruise Control and the Power Steering indicator? If so, what was the issue you found with it?

Any help would be really appreciated... I just want to make sure nothing is going to blow up or melt down or anything :-) Thanks!

Check the power steering ECU (located directly above the steering column). Depending on how you pulled your wires through, you may have loosened one of the connectors. Neither of the two events you mentioned would cause an issue.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:59 PM   #95
upgradedyaris

Drives: Yaris & Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
I have a factory Cruise stalk if anyone is interested

Price on this? Would this work with my car?

Thanks
Duane
upgradedyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #96
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
You guys are FREAKING AMAZING!

I almost bought the Rostra CC back in the summer because I was so sick of trips with my foot cramping up.

Now I'm so glad I didn't. Thanks for coming up with this and sharing your knowledge.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:43 AM   #97
cynsofdm

Drives: gray 2008 yaris
Wow this is awesome. It sounds easy enough that I could do it knowing nothing about cars or electronics. I was searching for this though because I am moving to Gainesville, fl from Atlanta, Ga tomorrow. I had to make the trip a couple days ago and my leg and back were killing me. I was hoping to find a way I could pull something off in a couple of hours. You think it's possible? I have a couple of guys familiar with cars and electrical stuff that are coming to help me move tomorrow...

The other thing was I really liked the "test" install Yaris07hb did, because then I could worry about mounting it later. Or possibly something even simpler... installing it in a slip of cardboard... I have tons of cardboard.

Also is the only worry with modifying the remote possibility of voiding a warranty? I bought my '08 HB used, and I don't have a warranty, at least that I know of... it's my first nice new to me car.
cynsofdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:25 AM   #98
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynsofdm View Post
Wow this is awesome. It sounds easy enough that I could do it knowing nothing about cars or electronics. I was searching for this though because I am moving to Gainesville, fl from Atlanta, Ga tomorrow. I had to make the trip a couple days ago and my leg and back were killing me. I was hoping to find a way I could pull something off in a couple of hours. You think it's possible? I have a couple of guys familiar with cars and electrical stuff that are coming to help me move tomorrow...

The other thing was I really liked the "test" install Yaris07hb did, because then I could worry about mounting it later. Or possibly something even simpler... installing it in a slip of cardboard... I have tons of cardboard.

Also is the only worry with modifying the remote possibility of voiding a warranty? I bought my '08 HB used, and I don't have a warranty, at least that I know of... it's my first nice new to me car.

It can be done in a few minutes with the right tools. In the "Can we do this" thread that started this whole idea, I test wired it to two stand-alone switches as a quick test before drilling holes in the dash.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #99
frankencar

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
So this may be a silly question but... this works on an AT liftback as well? Just ignore the parts that say "MT only?"

Also, I'm a bit confused on the part where you connect to the ECU. Is there a specific crimp/connector, some other method to plug into the ECU?
frankencar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #100
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankencar View Post
So this may be a silly question but... this works on an AT liftback as well? Just ignore the parts that say "MT only?"

Also, I'm a bit confused on the part where you connect to the ECU. Is there a specific crimp/connector, some other method to plug into the ECU?
Correct on the AT - Works the same and ignore the clutch switch part.

For the ECM connection (on 06-08 Yaris), you need to actually add a pin to the smaller of the two connectors on the ECM. I highly recommend using the actual Toyota "repair terminal", which is the pin with its waterproof sleeve and a piece of wire pre-connected to it. (Part number: 82998-24250)
Old 01-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #101
wyolincoln

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I performed this mod several months ago on my wife's 2007, 3 door liftback and decided to use the two switch method. Mounted two black switches on the small removable panel to the right of the column, just below the driver's side glove box. One switch provides on/off and the other switch provides the set function.
This mod has been working great and makes the car very pleasant to drive on all but the shortest trips. Plus one can't help but smile when knowing you have built your own cruise control for less than $10.
Thanks to all who posted schematics, pics, and ideas.

"Mistakes will be made.
Others will be blamed."
Paul Perves
wyolincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #102
upgradedyaris

Drives: Yaris & Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Correct on the AT - Works the same and ignore the clutch switch part.

For the ECM connection (on 06-08 Yaris), you need to actually add a pin to the smaller of the two connectors on the ECM. I highly recommend using the actual Toyota "repair terminal", which is the pin with its waterproof sleeve and a piece of wire pre-connected to it. (Part number: 82998-24250)

You forgot to add your module for the led. ;) A plus!

Duane
upgradedyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #103
myt

Drives: Blazing Blue 07 YAris
Ok so of course I HAVE to do this!! I have a M/T, does the brake disengage the Cruise Control or do I have to depress the clutch?

Thanks,
MYT
myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #104
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by myt View Post
Ok so of course I HAVE to do this!! I have a M/T, does the brake disengage the Cruise Control or do I have to depress the clutch?

Thanks,
MYT
Either will disengage it provided that you install the clutch switch, rather than bypassing it.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #105
rtom

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3-door liftback MT
Hey CTScott,

Is there a "sticky" or FAQ summarizing which mod procedure one should follow for different years/models of Yaris? I went through the long thread a month or two ago and I remember thinking that it would be better to add my own 2-way switch, but lately it seems everyone is talking about adding the stalk.

I ask this partly on your behalf -- if there's a sticky or FAQ up front in these CC threads, then surely you'll get fewer questions.
rtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #106
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtom View Post
Hey CTScott,

Is there a "sticky" or FAQ summarizing which mod procedure one should follow for different years/models of Yaris? I went through the long thread a month or two ago and I remember thinking that it would be better to add my own 2-way switch, but lately it seems everyone is talking about adding the stalk.

I ask this partly on your behalf -- if there's a sticky or FAQ up front in these CC threads, then surely you'll get fewer questions.
That's a good point. There are sooooo many different threads (with bizillions of posts) all discussing with the same questions popping up, as it is pretty hard to find the answers without wading through. I think I will put one together...
Old 01-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #107
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Here's a start:

CC Matrix.jpg
Old 01-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #108
rtom

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3-door liftback MT
Thanks! That's a pretty efficient start.

I'm a good guinea pig because I'm planning to do this (well, when the weather warms up -- I don't have a garage). From my point of view, the next steps are to nail down (1) part numbers and sources, and (2) procedures and tools required. Probably it's not so hard to summarize part numbers & sources, but summarizing procedures might be trickier?

Anyway, thanks, and I'll start reading the threads.
rtom is offline   Reply With Quote