Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #1
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Oil filter

I have 4 oil filter wrenches and none of them will fit in to take off the oil filter.

I'm looking for one of those oil filter "sockets" that you can attatch to a ratchet that would fit this tiny oil filter. Anyone know where I could order one?
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
I always take mine off by hand. Measure the diameter of the filter and check at the local auto
parts store.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
wal mart has them
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I have 4 oil filter wrenches and none of them will fit in to take off the oil filter.

I'm looking for one of those oil filter "sockets" that you can attatch to a ratchet that would fit this tiny oil filter. Anyone know where I could order one?
Toyota.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
You need a 65 mm 14 flute. Very common-Walmart, Napa, etc have them and you shouldn't have to order one unless you want to. If you prefer online ordering Amazon has them also.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Drives: Absolutely red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to jclo3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post

Discount Auto.

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
jclo3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
I ordered one of these (I rarely get into town.)

http://www.toolsource.com/toyota-lex...rceid=googleps
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Moot point since you've already ordered one, but you can get them at any auto parts store. Got mine from Advanced Auto.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I just ran into this problem with my Yaris. I bought all kinds of oil filter wrenches and nothing worked. The problem started by using a filter wrench to put it on. I put it on too tight and nothing could take it off.

After tons of online research, I saw a picture of a OF wrench that is sold at NAPA parts stores. I tried it, and again, it just slipped off the filter without being able to get a good hold. I went to my kitchen and found a neoprene rubber glove (actually was a George Foreman golve for my GF rotisserie oven) and cut the glove to make a strip of rubber that would fit around the oil filter. I then put the NAPA OF wrench around the filter. The rubber allowed the teeth of the wrench to get hold of the filter and allowed me to turn it.

The NAPA wrench has these three moveable arms that close in on the filter allowing it to grip the filter. Without the rubber, it couldn't get a firm old on the filter.

Of course, the main problem was that I put the filter on too tight. Lesson learned....always tighten by hand...not wrench!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Just to follow up, the wrench I used is called a 3 jaw oil filter wrench. I got it a local NAPA auto parts for about $8.

Here is a link to show what it looks like.
http://www.shopwiki.com/3+Jaw+Univer...ch+(B0006BI1U4)

Old 10-05-2009, 05:01 AM   #11
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Eh... I learned years ago: Don't over-tighten the oil filter! And who cares if your USED oil filter ends up with a hole in it? You're throwing that one out!

Takin' em' off I just use an ice pick, jab a hole parallel to the 'tip' of the oil filter, let em' drip empty, twist to break em' free, unscrew by hand.

And new ones I always install (Yaris or otherwise) by backspinning until the screw threads seat, then spinning on as fast as I can by hand until they stop on their own, a quick quarter to half turn from there, I'm done.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:29 AM   #12
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Something people forget is that they tighten on their own during the temperature cycling. An oil filter should be no more than hand-tight. If you can't get the filter off of the car with a pair of channel-lock pliers during an oil change than it's on waaay too tight.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWings View Post
Eh... I learned years ago: Don't over-tighten the oil filter! And who cares if your USED oil filter ends up with a hole in it? You're throwing that one out!

Takin' em' off I just use an ice pick, jab a hole parallel to the 'tip' of the oil filter, let em' drip empty, twist to break em' free, unscrew by hand.

And new ones I always install (Yaris or otherwise) by backspinning until the screw threads seat, then spinning on as fast as I can by hand until they stop on their own, a quick quarter to half turn from there, I'm done.
Good advise! My former car had a larger filter and I could get a good hand hold and take the filter off by hand. There isn't the space or size on a Yaris. But like I said, lesson learned!