Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
dbrear

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
OE Spec for Rotors

I was tooling around on Rock Auto looking for brakes when I came across the following:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1144871

A claim is made on the site in the list of all compatible pads, that this is the OE manufacturer for the Yaris. When I went to look for a similar listing in the rotors, all I got was a long list of rotors that claim to be OE compatible, nothing claiming to be the original equipment manufacturer.

For other cars in the past, I've always just bought discount pads/rotors and been on my merry way. I really like the OEM brakes and was wondering if it was possible to get the exact same equipment without going through the neighborhood Toyota dealer.

I guess my questions are, is Akebono the OEM pad manufacturer? Who is the OEM rotor manufacturer? What are the OE specs that companies match to state that a pad or rotor is oe compatible, do they mean they are selling a very nice part which happens to be the same size as the one toyota put on, or is there a more rigorous standard and if so, what is it? Is there a rule of thumb on what one should pay for oe pads/rotors so I can tell if my dealer is ripping me off?

Thanks,
Rear
dbrear is offline   Reply With Quote