Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Gav

Drives: Toyota Belta SCP92
Car flooded - ECU change

Hi,
We had a major flood and there was water in my car. My ECU is not working, if I were to buy another ECU same model number would it work with my smart key. The ECU on my car is 89661-52E70 G2. My car is a 2006 Belta.

Water also got in the engine through the exhaust pipe, would you know what damage that would do? Is it better to replace the whole engine or repair the damaged one.

Attached photo shows how whole engine part was covered with water

Any comments/tips will be most welcomed!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2699 resize.JPG (358.0 KB, 243 views)
Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Wow! That is terrible. Unfortunately with the smart key system you are pretty much limited to only the 89661-52E70 ECM. A replacement one will either need to come with a new set of smart keys, or you will have to have Toyota program the new ECM for your existing keys.

With the engine, if water made its way through the intake, if you did not attempt to start the engine you may be able to completely disassemble the engine and completely purge it of the water.

Besides the engine, you will want to thoroughly purge the fuel tank and evaporative emissions system as well as thoroughly dry out the wiring harnesses and fuse boxes. Also, besides the ECM, the Body ECU, power steering ECU, SRS ECU, smart key ECU, and the AC ECU could all be water damaged.

Here in the US a car that saw that much water would definitely be considered a total loss by the owner's insurance company.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Gav

Unfortunately my insurance does not cover for flood, so I need to try to fix the car. Would the wiring need to be changed? Garage where I left my car, got an exact model, they interchanged the fuse box 82662-52280 and 82730-52371 but car would still not start. Looks like the engine is still ok since the electrician managed to start it. The parts are difficult to find in Mauritius. An option is to get it from Malaysia. Otherwise will need to auction the car as is.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
Unfortunately my insurance does not cover for flood, so I need to try to fix the car. Would the wiring need to be changed? Garage where I left my car, got an exact model, they interchanged the fuse box 82662-52280 and 82730-52371 but car would still not start. Looks like the engine is still ok since the electrician managed to start it. The parts are difficult to find in Mauritius. An option is to get it from Malaysia. Otherwise will need to auction the car as is.
The harness should be fine if it is dried out well. For inside the car, I recommend placing a house dehumidifier (if you have them over there) in the car, and running it for a few days. I have done that a couple of times with cars where I forgot I left a window open and it rained.

Do you know what the electrician did to make the engine run?
Old 05-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Looks like the car was totally under water up to the engine hood at least? I have to believe that even if you could get the car to run nominally there would be so many failures down the line it just wouldnt be worth it $$$ wise or in practical operation. To me it looks like throwing good money after bad.

At least consider that and wait to hear what others say.

Tough break sorry to hear about it.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
Damn sorry to hear, reminds me of my car. Green and smart key enabled :( . Doesn't sound good at all. You have to change all of those ecus CTscott has mentioned. Doesn't sound like you drove through the water, seems the water caught the car standing. The harness should be ok, problem will be the ECUs. You may have some smaller issues to deal with later on like alternator or alt bearings. How the hell doesn't your insurance cover flood damage?

PS: Did water reach inside the car? Or just engine bay area and exhaust pipe? May just have to change main ECU in engine bay and get reprogrammed for smart key system. Will check and see if any other ECUs located in engine bay.
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
Does not sound good. I would not spend much money on it as it will probably have a lot of problems in the future, most of them electrical. Of course the engine could be badly damaged as well. I hope the mechanic at least changed the oil before attempting to start it.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
Gav

Finally I had to bring car to Toyota Mauritius for repairs. They need to change the main fuse box 82730-52371 and relay so as to bring back communication in the car. It is only then that they can troubleshoot further. At first they told me the fuse box is out of stock in Japan, now they telling me they don't have it anymore and will need to build one. Is that possible? 1 month already since I'm waiting for the fuse box to come in.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Finally I had to bring car to Toyota Mauritius for repairs. They need to change the main fuse box 82730-52371 and relay so as to bring back communication in the car. It is only then that they can troubleshoot further. At first they told me the fuse box is out of stock in Japan, now they telling me they don't have it anymore and will need to build one. Is that possible? 1 month already since I'm waiting for the fuse box to come in.
That is the body ECU / fuse panel. The car can live without the body ECU portion (it controls door locks and things of that nature). There are a couple of relays internal to it, including one that switches power to the fuel pump.

I would pull yours out, open it up, and dry it out internally. That alone might do the trick.

There are about 20 different part numbers for the body ECU assembly, and your 82730-52371 is a uncommon one, which could explain the difficulty in finding a replacement.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #10
Gav

Update

Hi,
Finally the Block assembly 82730 has been received and already changed. There is now 3 problems: problem with the immobilizer, accelerator and signal to the engine (Toyota guy called it 'can signal'). Do you know about the 'can signal'? Toyota person said once car starts then everything ok. Now there is communication in the car, even the start button works.

Arvind
Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
Some basic information about the CAN Bus can be found here: http://www.axiomatic.com/whatiscan.pdf

Many other sources can be found for more information. The CAN Bus is simply the network which connects many of the electronic systems together.

It sounds like there are issues with the ECU, maybe it is in the wiring at the connectors. Has the ECU been replaced, or the connections inspected?

Taking apart and reconnecting all the connectors associated with the problem areas can reseat bad connections. I would get a can of contact cleaner and spray all the connections. Looking at your photo again it looks like the water came up and completely covered the engine, and probably flooded the car's interior. If so, the throttle connections under the dash were probably effected. I am not sure what it looks like, but Toyota is using a Hall Effect sensor for drive by wire. Sensor maybe ok, but the connections may be corroded.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #12
Gav

Hi,

Toyota person contacted me and these are additional parts required to proceed with engine start.
Computer immobilizer
Box assy ECU
Computer engine
Start switch
Transmitter key

All the above relates to the immobilizer communication breakdown. Is it worth changing all this or I should consider selling it off as is? Is it easy to find these parts? Quote for new ones are quite expensive. Kind of lost.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Hi,

Toyota person contacted me and these are additional parts required to proceed with engine start.
Computer immobilizer
Box assy ECU
Computer engine
Start switch
Transmitter key

All the above relates to the immobilizer communication breakdown. Is it worth changing all this or I should consider selling it off as is? Is it easy to find these parts? Quote for new ones are quite expensive. Kind of lost.
Your best bet would be to find a set of all of those parts off of one wrecked car.
Old 10-15-2022, 05:28 AM   #14
davidhinksan
I've made a post!

Drives: Nissan Skyline
Car flooded - ECU change - I know someone who's been flooded in the past week and has had to have the ECU replaced on his car. I'm sure many people have replaced ECUs on their car or know someone that has. This may be a common issue but if anyone else has any issues, I'd love to hear about them. Also if anyone has a cheap way of getting the ECU code out of the old ECU that would be helpful! Thanks guys!
davidhinksan is offline   Reply With Quote