Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #37
poorsh2

Drives: 2008 yaris hb
This intake mod may have a chance. good luck, may the car gods be with you
poorsh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #38
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Doh, I should have been more specific, eh? The bolt pattern for the head-side of the intake. I made some educated guesses on my CAD model, but haven't actually measured them.
You got it.

When I get home from work this evening, I'll lay straight edges across the two rows of bolt holes and will be able to give you some x and y measurements.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #39
tooter
play every day

Hey Cranky,

Here's some of the measurements. They're not perfect but accurate to a millimeter because I just used a ruler.

Bolt holes on intake manifold to engine head connection
looking at the flange from the position of the bolt holes making a W.

The y distance between the two rows of bolt holes (not including the one hole that's offset) is 24mm.

The x distance between the two holes on either side of the center hole is 166mm.

The x distance from the center hole to the end hole which is in line with it is 163mm.

The y distance beween the one offset hole and the closest hole to it is 33mm.

The x distance between the center hole and the offset hole is 163mm.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any clarification.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #40
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Interesting. Some of my estimations were spot on, and others were pretty far off. I used pictures of gaskets and the head to get a general idea of the location and then used a SWAG to pin them down.

For the y-distance, did you measure center-to-center or edge-to-edge? All of the images I found showed the bolt hole centers being approximately in line with the long edges of the intake holes, which should be 30mm tall.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #41
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Interesting. Some of my estimations were spot on, and others were pretty far off. I used pictures of gaskets and the head to get a general idea of the location and then used a SWAG to pin them down.
It's kind of tough to measure with the holes diagonal to each other and one offset from the others. I stenciled that white temprature insulating gasket I got from Garm onto a piece of paper and measured off of the paper with a ruler. Having a physical gasket made it much easier but they're far from the exact measurements a machinist would make.

Quote:
For the y-distance, did you measure center-to-center or edge-to-edge? All of the images I found showed the bolt hole centers being approximately in line with the long edges of the intake holes, which should be 30mm tall.
All the hole location measurements were taken center to center, and I ignored the intake holes as drawing around them with a ball point pen automatically made them smaller.

I'm taking everything down to the machine shop today to get the flange and throttlebody adaptor made up.

With the Corolla manifold, the stock Yaris manifold, the white intake gasket, and all of the bolts and studs right there in front of them to, it should be a simple job to fabricate the parts out of 25mm aluminium stock.

Last edited by tooter; 06-13-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #42
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
such a great little project.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #43
tooter
play every day

I just have to tell you guys about something that has nothing to do with our cars.

There is something so fascinating about the flow of events and how sometimes you find yourself in just the proper place in relation to them where you can surf them like a wave. Today was one of those times.

Took the parts to the guys I know who have the CNC machine. No problem! The flange will be 1 inch thick with a smooth transition machined right into it to flow smoothly from the Corolla manifold runners to the intake ports in the Yaris head. There's no need to try to adjust the runners!

Now... this is what I didn't know. The guy who is creating the CAD file and running the CNC was a design engineer for the Ford Motor Company.

And what job did he do?

He designed INTAKE MANIFOLDS!

When he saw the project he took a genuine personal interest in it. This is turned out to be a perfect synergy of events. To come into contact with just the right people at just the right time. Sometimes the way events unfold can be more fascinating than the events themselves.

The prototype manifold should be up and running in under 2 weeks.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #44
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Whats the cost on the machine work, flange and TB adaptor?

This project is moving along nicely, well done...I'm excited to see how it turns out.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #45
tooter
play every day

Don't exactly know yet... just whatever the cost of the time and materials comes out to produce a couple sets. This guy is an honest man who will make a fair profit for his time and talents so I let him determine the price, and just said "Let's do it."

Trusting honest people who are trustworthy is a valuable commodity in this world... it's the invisible glue that holds the business world together.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #46
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Don't exactly know yet... just whatever the cost of the time and materials comes out to produce a couple sets. This guy is an honest man who will make a fair profit for his time and talents so I let him determine the price, and just said "Let's do it."

Trusting honest people who are trustworthy is a valuable commodity in this world... it's the invisible glue that holds the business world together.

Greed holds business together...greed and booze.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #47
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
Greed holds business together...greed and booze.
There's nothing wrong with self interest where both parties financially benefit from freely choosing to enter into a business transaction.

Wealth is created.

In contrast to self interest is greed where one person's gain can only come from another's loss.

Wealth is transferred.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #48
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
I like this project. I have one of these intakes laying around...if this works out in terms of gains mark me down for a flange.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #49
tooter
play every day

You got it, malibu.

Documented gains is the catch in all of this.

I'm guessing the design should yield good torque numbers because of the length of the runners, and how they are directly in line with the axis of the throttle body. However the stock manifold runners, although much smaller in diameter, are also very long because they wrap almost all the way around the plenum. I really should have taken a picture of the underside and back of the manifold before leaving it at the machine shop so that you'd be able to see what's going on there for yourself. The stock manifold looks like a snail underneath.

However, I really like this particular design because it gets right around the whole plenum issue of trying to draw in air at a 90 degree angle to the flow from the throttle body.

It's highly possible that the manifold doesn't produce any gains at all. After the engine is completely broken in I think I'm going to need to do a dyno run with my car to get a baseline and then do one with the manifold to get a direct apples to apples comparison. This could all end up being just a useless piece of engine bling! ...

...but finding out is what life is all about.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #50
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsh2 View Post
This intake mod may have a chance. good luck, may the car gods be with you
Thanks for your good wishes, poor.

I'm a big fan of God and the natural physical laws He designed which govern the flow of events. So I keep an eye out for the signs with arrows on them that say "This Way", and have lots of fun following them just to see where they go.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #51
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
so when this is all said and done.. whoever gets the blueprint, will someone sell just the flange by itself or start buying up old corolla manifolds and doing all the welding themselves and sell it as a whole?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #52
tooter
play every day

That's still a wide open question because I've yet to find out if this will even work decently.

Should have the first one completed and running in two weeks. I'm looking up the street and so far all the lights are green.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #53
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
I could do the service. There is alot of 1zz corollas in the yards around here and well i fabricate for a living. However welding that thin tubing to a 1" thick flange is going to be a trick...but ive pulled off some crazy stuff before!

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #54
tooter
play every day

I wish that you really were in Malibu...