Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Southeast
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
Proteus

Drives: Absolutely Red 3-door
Auto Transmission Annoyance

I have a 2007 liftback. It's an automatic and although I originally wanted a standard shift, it turns out I'm very happy with it anyway.... except for one annoyance. It seems that if I'm going at a reasonable speed, say 50 mph, and lift my foot off of the accelerator, the trans shifts down as if it were "braking" for me. I dislike this, as I'd rather coast if I'm not using the brake.

Anyone else have this issue?
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:42 AM   #2
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
I've noticed mine doing this as well. It's just stupid automatic transmissions. I've found the fix to be keep it WTFO! lol Seriously though, it is a little annoying.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #3
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Is it actually down shifting, or are you just slowing do to aerodynamic drag? If it is actually down shifting that would be strange.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
I've noticed mine doing this as well. It's just stupid automatic transmissions. I've found the fix to be keep it WTFO! lol Seriously though, it is a little annoying.

Be careful, if you keep it WTFO and drive down a very steep grade you might hit the Yaris sound barrier of 90 MPH and create a sonic piff.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:59 AM   #5
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
Be careful, if you keep it WTFO and drive down a very steep grade you might hit the Yaris sound barrier of 90 MPH and create a sonic piff.

So THATS what that funny noise was.. I thought I broke something.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
jmjonesey

Drives: Red 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to jmjonesey
Quote:
Ahahahahahaha wow its only 10:15 in the morning and you already made my day!
Old 05-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
jmjonesey

Drives: Red 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to jmjonesey
That would depend, are you near the coast or in the app. mountains, the sonic piff barrier might be slightly higher or lower depending on the air density

....piff...hahahaha ...piff
Old 05-11-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
Proteus

Drives: Absolutely Red 3-door
Quote:
Is it actually down shifting, or are you just slowing do to aerodynamic drag? If it is actually down shifting that would be strange.
It's actually down shifting.

Aerodynamic drag? What's that?
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
formerechoowner

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4dr Auto
Same Transmission issue!

I am noticing the same issue with my car. I notice it more at 39-42Mph and it does feel like it's trying to engine brake instead of coast. I was thinking of taking it in, but I'm afraid they will say "we can't duplicate the problem" or "this is by design". I really wish I could find out if this is normal or I have a transmission problem. I've noticed it since about 2k. I now have 19k.

I have scoured the internet without any luck and can't seem to find any TSB's on it either.
formerechoowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:47 PM   #10
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
As far as I can figure, its DFCO, search for it there was a big thread on it.

But DEFINITELY annoying... with the 20's on it makes a BIG difference. The added weight actually smooths that "engine brake" feeling alot.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
no sweat!!! guys!

incase you guys dont know your automatic should still slide to neutral while your driving so if you want to let off the gas then slide the shifter to nuetral.then bring it back to drive if you want to accelerate.. now also make sure ur on the right gear which is "drive" i had a friend driving on the wrong gear and told me exactly what you guys were saying "feel of engine brake when letting off the gas" hope this helps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I have a 2007 liftback. It's an automatic and although I originally wanted a standard shift, it turns out I'm very happy with it anyway.... except for one annoyance. It seems that if I'm going at a reasonable speed, say 50 mph, and lift my foot off of the accelerator, the trans shifts down as if it were "braking" for me. I dislike this, as I'd rather coast if I'm not using the brake.

Anyone else have this issue?
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #12
MeggiemobileSFLA

Drives: yaris sedan
Mine does it too. I asked the dealership and the guy said it was normal. It "engine brakes" in order to save your brakes. If you ask me, id rather my car have the ability to coast than save me a little on brake pads. I see everyone talking about theyre cars doing it at fairly high speeds when mine does it during small city driving as well. I could be going 15 mph and take my foot off the gas and it will automatically downshift... Very annoying and i also hope it is normal like the dealership said...
MeggiemobileSFLA is offline   Reply With Quote