Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-13-2007, 05:02 AM   #1
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Yaris CarPC Alternatives?

One of my upcoming Yaris projects involves adding a CarPC. I am getting close to finishing the planning stages, but it's always positive to hear other people's input on the subject. That's why I'd like to see some posts on carputers in general: Installs, parts, input methods, addons, etc.

One of the CarPC variants that I am contemplating involves a UMPC (Ultra Mobile PC), which takes care of difficult wiring and installs, although it brings some problems of it's own.

Here's a link on such a project on a Yaris:
http://ultramobilegeek.blogspot.com/...-mounting.html
Old 08-13-2007, 05:08 AM   #2
tk-421
Super Moderator

Here's an approach made by fellow member qbunnie. Very clean install using a laptop:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ighlight=CarPC
Old 08-13-2007, 05:10 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Sony UX would be a good albeit pricey base, tiny little PC... Should be able to run Linux too

Or that huge HTC "pocket" PC...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
First of all, UMPC's are the diet coke of car installs. The coolest advantages of CarPC's can't be achieved unless the computer pretty much stays in the car at all times... things like IR networking and support for Navi and cameras and such.

I could type all day about what you need to know to do this the right way, but luckily there is one online source that pretty much puts all others to shame. (Kind of like this site! ) http://www.mp3car.com. Their forums are immense and definitely worth some browsing. In particular, in the products section, you may want to check out their books. There are a few books that cover this very topic. Best thing of all is their prices are extremely competitive, so don't feel bad about buying your stuff from them!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:02 PM   #5
CompanyXPaladin

Drives: 08 Yaris 5-speed
I notice that no one has mentioned a Mac Mini in any of these Car PC discussions. Mac Minis are great little computers, there are extremely small, their power consumption is small, they feature great processing capability for the price, and they can run any operating system (Intel Processor allows install of Windows XP/Vista, and of course can run Mac OSX, Linux, or Unix.) I think for the beginner car PC installer a Mac Mini would be almost ideal. Just my .02.
CompanyXPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:22 PM   #6
tk-421
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompanyXPaladin View Post
I notice that no one has mentioned a Mac Mini in any of these Car PC discussions. Mac Minis are great little computers, there are extremely small, their power consumption is small, they feature great processing capability for the price, and they can run any operating system (Intel Processor allows install of Windows XP/Vista, and of course can run Mac OSX, Linux, or Unix.) I think for the beginner car PC installer a Mac Mini would be almost ideal. Just my .02.
This is a good example of a Mac Mini install:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAubCPJhS_U

I would definitely consider a Mac Mini myself if it weren't for the price! I can get a whole system done (including monitor) for a fraction of what it costs. For people who can afford it, the Mac Mini is really a very good CarPC alternative.