Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
C-series transmission component comparison - LOTS OF PICS

tl;dr - You can put different gear and final drive ratios in a Yaris C50 5-speed gearbox. Buying a complete used gearbox is the easiest starting point. It is NOT cheap, but is a good CARB legal way to get better performance.

Full story - In the process of exploring the possibilities of swapping gears into the Yaris from various donors, I've made some important discoveries. I'll try to add pics whenever possible/reasonable to help clarify. These aren't in any particular order, just what I'm documenting at the moment.

The transmissions in question are:
  • '09 Yaris C50 5-speed manual
  • '03 Celica C56 5-speed
  • '07 Matrix C59 5-speed
  • '05 xB C50 5-speed

1. The bell housings are NOT the same, even the xB and Yaris have different part numbers despite having the "same" transmission name. The only real difference is the presence/absence of the mounting points, so if you can fab custom mounts this might not be a deal breaker.

2. The gearbox housings are NOT the same, again even the xB and Yaris. According to the EPC, '10 and newer Matrix/Corolla/Vibe will have the correct gearbox housing, but the bell housing is different. The main difference is the presence/absence of the front hole where the shift control lever exits. If you can machine the hole with reasonable accuracy (knee mill, CNC, etc) then it may be possible to make do with a different gearbox.

There is also a small pin/bolt on the shift control rod housing that is ONLY present on the Yaris C50. I'm not sure of what it does. The other 2 are not shown because they are identical to the xB.

3. The end caps are basically the same--if not identical--for all of these transmissions.

4. The output shafts are interchangeable between the C56 and C50, provided that you have the correct bearing in the bell housing. The C56 uses an inner race for the roller bearing that clips in place on the output shaft, so it has a different bearing.

5. 1st, 2nd and reverse are all part of the input shaft. If you want a different ratio for 1st, you have to swap the entire input shaft. All of these 5-speed boxes have identical 2nd gear ratios. The final drive ratio is fixed on the pinion shaft. If you want a different final drive, you have to swap the pinion shaft.

More later...

Last edited by CrankyOldMan; 03-13-2017 at 11:37 AM.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan

Soon...

Last edited by CrankyOldMan; 04-08-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
CrankyOldMan

I had a request for info on the bell housing/motor interface and starter "bubble" area, so here's some more pics. I didn't get any of the Yaris C50 bottom, but I'm willing to bet that it's identical to the xB...
Attached Images
File Type: png bell housings 1.png (534.8 KB, 203 views)
File Type: png bell housings 2.png (533.9 KB, 200 views)
File Type: png bell housings 3.png (543.6 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by CrankyOldMan; 07-18-2015 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Resized pics (finally)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
thefalls

Drives: Axio GT
Hi been looking around for some info on the C51 transmission but so far not much info.
After some research,i have found that most of the C series trannies are same except for the gear ratios.And bell housings as this thread points out.

I would like to know if the lsd are the same for all the C series. Will an lsd from a C56 fit a C50/51. The Corolla Axio GT [turbo kit by TRD from Japland] comes with a C51 gearbox. Not much info on this gearbox.

Secondly,whats the maximum torque that the C50/51 gearboxes can take? boosted power,of course.

Many thanks.
thefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
AWESOME information, thank you OP!!
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_C_transmission some more interesting info... but I would take it with a grain of salt, they show the xB as having a C150, and the C50 does not always have the same gear ratio (i.e US Yarii have a lower final drive ratio, compared to ours here)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #7
thefalls

Any idea if the C 50/51 can take some abuse. Whats the max power rating on these?

I know that the C52/56 from the Starlet turbo/Glanza can take quite some abuse. Some people are pushing 300+bhp on these gearboxes and it lasts quite long. Though the only issue is that the 3rd gear is the weak point.But a 200-230 bhp can be safely supported by these gearboxes. I dont have any torque figures,since its torque that kills trannies and not bhp.

I was wondering the kind of power you people are pushing over here,which manual gearbox most of you are using ?

Is the C160 that good? Does it not break so often?

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Garm's using a stock C50 on his 350hp monster, except for a final drive swap with an xB's and it's holding well...

Chew of viosturbo.com is also on a stock gearbox with 400+ hp...

But I'll let those guys chime in with more details!

On my own experience, my car is not yet back from the garage but it's had the engine swapped for a turbo 4A-GZE, but due to space constraints we've had to keep the C50 tranny. The tuners pushed the car over 300hp and destroyed the synchros, but I'm not sure how rough they were shifting...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
thefalls

I guess that there is not much to worry about when increasing power on a forged motor. So a C51 should hold 200whp reliably with daily drive and some spirited driving on and off.

Redarding LSDs,what do you guys use more often around here?

I have see there are a few options Kaaz,TRD and Cusco.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalls View Post
Redarding LSDs,what do you guys use more often around here?
I have see there are a few options Kaaz,TRD and Cusco.
I've been eyeballing the Quaife helical for some time now. There is lots of discussion about which is better for which driving style/conditions out there in the interwebs, but for me the main point is maintenance: there's no setup, break-in or servicing for a helical. All clutch types need occasional fluid changes, and may also require clutch pack replacement.

If you want a helical, but not the Quaife price tag, the OBX is a knock-off. There have been quality issues with them, so it's a gamble: save a few hundred on the LSD, potentially trash the whole gearbox. Not worth it for me.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
thefalls

yeah its true that different LSDs for driving style/conditions. Quaife is highly rated and its fit and forget. On the other hand its knowm that the clutch packs do not need changing that often if you change gearbox oil often. On a daily drive they are supposed to last quite long. But on a track setup its a different story.

Since we are on the drivetrain topic,Can anyone chime in some experience regarding stock driveshafts?
How long do they last when going boosted,lets say 200whp?

Anyone had to run upgraded driveshafts?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
have you checked out 6 speeds? If/when I have to change out the tranny I will go for a 6 speed with a close ratio and a final drive that is better for gas mileage. I swear the Yaris 5 speed is designed for 6 gears.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
have you checked out 6 speeds? If/when I have to change out the tranny I will go for a 6 speed with a close ratio and a final drive that is better for gas mileage. I swear the Yaris 5 speed is designed for 6 gears.

Boo on worrying about mileage...who cares when you can get gas so cheap at over 4 bucks a gallon.

I think that it awesome that Garm unless I am mistaken still gets in the mid 20's with the amount of balls his LB has.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Boo on worrying about mileage...who cares when you can get gas so cheap at over 4 bucks a gallon.

I think that it awesome that Garm unless I am mistaken still gets in the mid 20's with the amount of balls his LB has.
Only reason I bought the Yaris. I was going broke paying $5 a gallon for premium gas in 2006. I would still be driving my Saab Viggen if I could have afforded it. I couldn't. I traded it and $3 grand for the Yaris, and have spent thousands less on gas and maintenance. If I had a decent job I would have put the $3 grand into the Viggen and it would be making over 300hp. I couldn't, and still can't.

Now a 6 speed transmission with close ratios is good for both keeping the revs up during racing and keeping the revs low for gas mileage.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
thefalls

So,can the C series gearboxes share the same type of lsd?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalls View Post
So,can the C series gearboxes share the same type of lsd?
Not the C150 series: those are 6-bolt. The C56/C59/C50 use the 8-bolt.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #17
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I've been eyeballing the Quaife helical for some time now. There is lots of discussion about which is better for which driving style/conditions out there in the interwebs, but for me the main point is maintenance: there's no setup, break-in or servicing for a helical. All clutch types need occasional fluid changes, and may also require clutch pack replacement.

If you want a helical, but not the Quaife price tag, the OBX is a knock-off. There have been quality issues with them, so it's a gamble: save a few hundred on the LSD, potentially trash the whole gearbox. Not worth it for me.
While not widely accepted as a true LSD, I've run Phantom-Grip units for years with zero issues. Have run them in 2 different racecars and 3 different gearboxes, destroyed 1 gearbox when the flywheel exploded. If availible for our cars, these usually run about $300 and come with 2 different spring rates!
http://www.phantomgrip.com/
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #18
thefalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Not the C150 series: those are 6-bolt. The C56/C59/C50 use the 8-bolt.
Thanks for the reply.