Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #109
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Still not impress. How about i tell you that Peter Schreyer and Albert Beirman are the engineers behind Hyundai and Kia performance cars.

If you like Beemers and Audi's then there's no reason you wont like Kia and Hyundai except for the logo.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #110
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Drives: Toyota Yaris silver 2000 reg
Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
What the heck is going on with these two?

They have upped their game in a few years.

Now what is all this talk about stinger rwd sedan and 130 N AWD monster. What is it they can't do? they have surprised people.Hope KIA changes that badge though.

I am becoming a fan. Toyota, Honda, and Mazda better lift their game up.
Mazda have upped evryones game with thier new HCCI Skyactive-X engineHomogeneous Charge Compression Ignition, or HCCI, is a form of combustion that, like diesel, does not require spark. The compression alone ignites the fuel/air mixture much more efficiently than a conventional gasoline engine -- and it's cleaner than sooty, nitrous-oxide-plagued diesels. Mazda dubs it SkyActiv-X, the first production HCCI engine.
you can read more on it here......autoweek.com/article/technology/watch-how-mazda-built-new-engine-technology
Old 09-23-2017, 04:48 PM   #111
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairygityeti View Post
Mazda have upped evryones game with thier new HCCI Skyactive-X engineHomogeneous Charge Compression Ignition, or HCCI, is a form of combustion that, like diesel, does not require spark. The compression alone ignites the fuel/air mixture much more efficiently than a conventional gasoline engine -- and it's cleaner than sooty, nitrous-oxide-plagued diesels. Mazda dubs it SkyActiv-X, the first production HCCI engine.
you can read more on it here......autoweek.com/article/technology/watch-how-mazda-built-new-engine-technology
YES. I posted a thread about this.I feel that the ICE engine is on it's last legs.Electric is the future and we are already seeing companies heading in that direction.There is a shift towards electrifying vehicles. It's a bit too little too late for Mazda and the South Koreans. But we can still enjoy the ICE engine for at least a few more years even though it's will be a dying breed. I would say 10 year max the engine as we know it will gradually become less as electric zero emission vehicles takes it's place.That's my prediction, but i am no nastradamus.

For us it's time to make a decision do you stay ICE or ELECTRIC?
Old 09-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #112
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Drives: Toyota Yaris silver 2000 reg
Talking

Quote:
YES. I posted a thread about this.I feel that the ICE engine is on it's last legs.Electric is the future and we are already seeing companies heading in that direction.There is a shift towards electrifying vehicles. It's a bit too little too late for Mazda and the South Koreans. But we can still enjoy the ICE engine for at least a few more years even though it's will be a dying breed. I would say 10 year max the engine as we know it will gradually become less as electric zero emission vehicles takes it's place.That's my prediction, but i am no nastradamus.

Im a petrol head at heart but lets not forget Hydrogen.... https://ssl.toyota.com/mirai/fcv.html
or the suitcase engine....
newatlas.com/nissan-zeod-rc-engine/30611/
i think there is always time for pivotal moments in automotive history to happen and surprise us,as is the way......who an tell?
Old 09-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #113
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairygityeti View Post
Im a petrol head at heart but lets not forget Hydrogen.... https://ssl.toyota.com/mirai/fcv.html
or the suitcase engine....
newatlas.com/nissan-zeod-rc-engine/30611/
i think there is always time for pivotal moments in automotive history to happen and surprise us,as is the way......who an tell?
Hardly any hydrogen stations anywhere for that technology to take off.

Electric charging stations are more and more abundent though...

Last edited by kimona; 09-24-2017 at 01:10 PM.
invader166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #114
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
Hardly any hydrogen stations anywhere for that technology to take off.

Electric charging stations are more and more abundent though...
Yup. Even here in Sydney we are seeing them there's one in my area.

Last edited by junorico24; 09-24-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #115
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I'll just go ahead and leave these here...

More angle pics in the OC Auto Show 2017 album I created on Google Photos here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171001_164344.jpg (135.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20171001_164351.jpg (145.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20171001_164357.jpg (138.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20171001_164402.jpg (136.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20171001_164424.jpg (137.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20171001_164439.jpg (147.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20171001_164454.jpg (139.4 KB, 45 views)

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:12 PM   #116
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Not a bad looking sedan, but too many superfluous design details for me, and the rear end reminds me of a Dodge.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #117
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
More angle pics in the OC Auto Show 2017 album I created on Google Photos here.
My opinion: Overdesigned. Too flashy. Trying too hard. Clown car.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:31 PM   #118
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
My opinion: Overdesigned. Too flashy. Trying too hard. Clown car.
^^^ This.

The ugly chrome things on the front fenders were the nail in the coffin for me.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:52 AM   #119
junorico24

Don't forget guys the i30 N is coming out in Australia in the first quarter of next year. America wont get it tho..
Old 10-03-2017, 02:05 AM   #120
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Not a bad looking sedan, but too many superfluous design details for me, and the rear end reminds me of a Dodge.
It's a fastback. It's a hatchback in a sedan body. I am not a fan of SEDANS.

Make a proper hatch with a manual gearbox KIA..
Old 10-03-2017, 10:56 AM   #121
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
You all know I'm not a Kia/Hyundai fan, but 365 bhp and 0-60 in 4.7 seconds is always going to be an attention grabber.

Still, I agree that it doesn't look all that good (to me), doesn't feel as solid when opening/closing doors, etc., and it had a strange, almost matte/flat red interior that was both overkill and didn't really match well with the bright, glossy red paint.

It did have a nice steering wheel, despite the strange, Bugatti knockoff feeling emblem in the center of it.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:59 AM   #122
Mattstr

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2012, Silver
This red Kia babe is gorgeous
Mattstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:01 PM   #123
Lux

Drives: NCP91
Quote:

Near-total electrification is the future, no matter what. It's just not as near as some automakers and their faithful followers are speculating. Remember: these companies need to paint an optimistic projection to shareholders. Even if that expectation is often implausible.

Automobile electrification is the future because the automobile is used, chiefly, for commuting to work. Think 50 km or less per day. Fleet use and leisure are what exceed your typical 250 km maximum range, for which your options are range extension (a network of charging stations or gigantic battery capacity) or internal combustion engine to supplement or recharge the electric driveline.

Internal combustion is here to stay, even if only in a perpetually diminishing presence. There will always be a requirement for fossil-fuelled transportation. You are not going to see, for instance, marine transport electrify. The battery and solar panel superstructure needed to sustain trans-pacific shipping voyage would be completely impractical, if not impossible. Marine would be better off going nuclear.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:04 AM   #124
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Electric plug-in vehicles just aren't practical for people who live in apartments and/or don't park in a dedicated garage - which is a lot of people.

Hybrids would be much more popular than they are today, if automakers like Toyota opted to release normal looking (aka decent looking) hybrid cars in the U.S. market, instead of their various fugly Prius abominations. I would already own a Yaris (or Auris) hybrid if either were actually sold in the U.S.

Last edited by Kalispel; 10-20-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:08 AM   #125
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Near-total electrification is the future, no matter what. It's just not as near as some automakers and their faithful followers are speculating. Remember: these companies need to paint an optimistic projection to shareholders. Even if that expectation is often implausible.

Automobile electrification is the future because the automobile is used, chiefly, for commuting to work. Think 50 km or less per day. Fleet use and leisure are what exceed your typical 250 km maximum range, for which your options are range extension (a network of charging stations or gigantic battery capacity) or internal combustion engine to supplement or recharge the electric driveline.

Internal combustion is here to stay, even if only in a perpetually diminishing presence. There will always be a requirement for fossil-fuelled transportation. You are not going to see, for instance, marine transport electrify. The battery and solar panel superstructure needed to sustain trans-pacific shipping voyage would be completely impractical, if not impossible. Marine would be better off going nuclear.
You are absolutely spot on. Right on the money.

Even me i still can't ween myself off internal combustion engine just yet.

Hyundai and KIA still not producing the car that appeals to me.

Kia Stinger. I just saw it in person briefly but it was the showroom car so i couldn't scrutinize it. It didn't look eye catching in person. Then comes the price 50k for a 2ltr and 60K for the TT6. No thanks. Plus it's automatic.

Hyundai i30N. Nice car again. The reviews are great. But it's FWD and whilst it has the room for me and my 2 important others (wife and kid). I just want a real sports car.

Electric cars are over priced. The Nissan leaf is coming out probably the cheapest EV on the market and it's 50K Aussie dollars for one. No way!

But Toyota has the car a fun car RWD Toyota 86 that i want. What put me off it was the back seats. But i think i can make it work.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #126
junorico24

KIA SPORTAGE 2016 Diesel AWD update.

60 000 KM on the clock.

Still no dramas. Bullet proof so far..

Hope i don't jinx myself.

The only thing that concerns me is the long intervals between service. 15K km between service. I think it's too long. Maybe KIA have so much confidence in their products..I am happy with the car. Been reliable. Just wish it was a bit more fun to drive. But it's not bad.