Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
coffiend

Drives: 08 Black LB
good news, bad news, and worse news

well... the good news is my new wheels came today

bad news is this is what the weather looks like right now

AND THE WORSE NEWS IS THIS....

driving home tonight in 10 inches of snow and 35-40mph wind made visibility next to zero... I was driving down a main road in my town where the speed limit is 45 at about 30 MPH because the roads were so bad... when all of a sudden there is a giant wall of snow about 3 ft tall stretching all the way ACROSS the main road from where a snow plow pushed it, i tried to hit the breaks but it was obviously too late and i slammed into it and straight through it, it totally busted out my grill and the little screen behind it....

now heres my question, do you think I have grounds to try to make the city pay for this, being that there was no way for me to avoid this mound of snow? Or do you think that im just screwed? Unfortunately at the moment I feel like I'm probably going to get screwed on this one... but am hoping that its just the sour feeling in my stomach from my baby getting hurt thats making my cynical......
coffiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:50 AM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
One time the city decided to pave my entire street. Didnt block it off. I wake up late pull out of my driveway and go to work. When i get home i see tar stuck and glued all over my fenders doors and jammed into the rain channels in my tires. Finally got the city to pay for professional detailing. Sent me a check for 100 something.

I think what you would have to do is go back to the scene and take pictures otherwise you dont really have any evidence.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:59 AM   #3
coffiend

by the time I got back around to where the mound was, another plow had come by and removed it. I do have a photo of me picking up the pieces of my car, though...

unfortunately those are all I have, if you can see in the second photo on the far right where that mound is lit up, thats how high it was all the way across the street.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:14 AM   #4
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Theres a canyon road around where I live. My friend was zipping around through there, and hit a tree that was on the road. Car was totaled. City paid for the car in a heart beat.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:33 AM   #5
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Nice wheels.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:40 AM   #6
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
under inflated tires I see
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:54 AM   #7
coffiend

yes, and it was just way too damn cold to inflate them today, windchills got down down negative 25.

and I just sent an email to the city, im gonna follow up with a cal tomorrow, hopefully all goes well :D
Old 12-09-2009, 03:18 AM   #8
EleKid
Eugenie たでし

Drives: '09 Blazing Blue Liftback
Good luck!
EleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:52 AM   #9
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
Good luck getting the city to admit responsibility. What a place to leave a wall of snow!
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
be sure to take lots of pics of those wheels, I think I might be getting these when I finally do get the money for rims! :)

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #11
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
i doubt they will pay for it

they will say you didnt have proper control of the car, and were driving too fast for the conditions

ddongbap, i call BS on your friend. I use to work for the city and the only thing they would cover is if a snow plow hit your car (and if you were park on the wrong side they woudnt cover it due to you illegally parked) They told the plow drivers that if the car is in the way and illegally parked push it out of the way with the plow

you have to be in control of your car at all times, zipping around a mountain road and hitting a fallen tree is not in control, thats like a deer jumping out and blaming the forest service

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #12
coffiend

we'll see what happens!

and obviously I did have proper control of the vehicle, i drove straight through the mound without going off the street and I was driving at 10-15 MPH UNDER the speed limit, i dont know how they can claim that I was going too fast for the conditions.

anyways, the city clerk is emailing me all the proper claim forms and whatnot today... hopefully all goes well and Ill get a new bumper.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #13
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
once back in the day i was moving my 87 camaro from my house to a friends house to store in his yard for the winter. I was driving and came to an intersection, the light was red and i put the brake on normal and the car slid right into the middle. Mind you i was going like 10mph, there happen to be a cop there and he pulls me over for sliding through the intersection. My car slid on a huge pile of salt, like the salt truck never turned of the spreader at the light. You could see white tire tracks though the salt pile. The cop STILL said it was my fault and that i was driving to fast for the conditions. I was going like 10mph wtf, he gave me a ticket.... he was a dick anyway but when it comes to money they will do anything to get it from your and keep it from you

This was back in NY and there a bunch of tight asses

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #14
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffiend View Post
we'll see what happens!

and obviously I did have proper control of the vehicle, i drove straight through the mound without going off the street and I was driving at 10-15 MPH UNDER the speed limit, i dont know how they can claim that I was going too fast for the conditions.

anyways, the city clerk is emailing me all the proper claim forms and whatnot today... hopefully all goes well and Ill get a new bumper.
Good luck. Fill out the forms and see what happens. Maybe your insurance agent can give you some advice on how to proceed.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #15
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
its funny that you posted this, because i came across the SAME exact thing today, a state plow truck (big) had plowed out of a smaller road, right across the main road, leaving a ~2 foot wall across the road, and I happen to be the one that has to go through it. no damage to my car though, I just picked the thinnest part I could see, lol
Old 12-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #16
advocate

Drives: car
Wow yaris vs. snow not good. And here I am getting mad that there's slush on my windshield every morning.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #17
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
similar thing happend to my husband last year. he was driving home from work about a day after a major wind storm we had and it was dark outside. There was a 3ft high wall of tree limbs and branches across the highway. He braked as soon as he seen it but it was pretty much to late...knocked the bumper loose and we got some major scratches on the bumper and hood. contacted the city about this but they said there was no way of proving if it came off a city truck so that we were pretty much screwed. cost $300 to fix the damages
Old 12-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #18
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
the only time i got stuck last year was when we got a HUGE snowstorm and i drove 4 hours thru it with hardly any problems until in the morning when the plows finally started to do something about it they created a two-foot deep mound of snow right at the entrance to my work. i didn't see it until it was too late and i went right into it! luckily i didn't have any front-end damage because i drove up on top of it, but that put all four wheels in the air and i was resting the chassis on top of it. just kind of ironic that i had issues only once they started 'clearing' the roads!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote