Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-05-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
Liu997

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB
Electrical question

what do u guys think the max amp is for the little yellow wire down in the driver kickpanel. Its the constant +12.

Im already running 2 sets of cold cathodes and about to add some power door lock and im afraid that things gonna burst into flames.
Liu997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
taKuto
rice rocket

Drives: 05 Echo
pwoer door locks require a good amount of current, is the yellow wire thick enough? I use the constant 12V from the ignition harness for my power door locks.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Liu997

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB
i think the yellow wire is from the ignition harness?
Liu997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
do it right... don't tap into an existing line, that is asking for trouble, you don't know what the amp draw on the wire is, and you don't know how long that run of wire is... without knowing those two factors... knowing what guage(how fat it is) the wire is doesn't mean a thing.

Be smart be safe, don't burn up your car

1: run you own wire with a proper size guage of wire determined by the amp draw of the electronics you plan to run,
2: Run a proper sized fuse on the wire determined by the length and guage of your wire.

there are calculators and such online to figure this stuff out.
go to this http://www.bcae1.com/ site and read up about "fuses" and "wire" even though it's geared towards car audio the concepts still apply.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
OEM power locks are quite a complex system - they work through their own computer on the left side of the dash. I doubt that the computer (ECU) or any of the wiring is built into Yari that weren't originally equipped with power locks - you'll have to wire it all from scratch. Probably simpler to sell the car and buy one with factory power locks
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It depends on which yellow wire. There is a yellow in pin 8 of GD1 and a yellow in pin 8 of GD2.

The one in GD1 is an ECU input for the power locks and shouldn't be tapped to supply power to anything.

The one in GD2 is the "UP" power supply for the power windows. If you don't have power windows then that is a 30A capable circuit. If you do have power windows, then I wouldn't tap it for anything more than powering LED's.

By the way, when you tap an existing circuit, which has the ability to supply way more current then the wiring for your tapped device can handle you should add a fuse between your device and the tap. For example, a string of LEDs with 24 AWG wire should not be tapped onto a 30 A circuit without a 3.5 A or less fuse. Otherwise a short in the 24 AWG wire could potentially result in a mighty hot piece of wire or worse yet an electrical fire.

GD1-GD2.jpg
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
weslowski

Drives: yaris
speaking of power locks ha is there a kit for power windows in a 3 door yaris. cuz right now i got thos sweet roll up windows. ive been looking everywhere!!
weslowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by weslowski View Post
speaking of power locks ha is there a kit for power windows in a 3 door yaris. cuz right now i got thos sweet roll up windows. ive been looking everywhere!!
Check out this thread:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...wer+window+kit
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote