Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-14-2009, 11:09 PM   #19
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
i use royal purple in every vehicle i own. love it plain and simple.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:53 AM   #20
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
You shouldn't. You don't. You're cheap. Simple.
Thats why i drive a Yaris and an Echo,would call it being economical rather than cheap. And i do use synthetic oil (Mobil1) changed every !0,000kms. oils like Amsoil,Redline,and Royal Purple if you can find them in this area run around $16 a quart/Liter
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #21
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
I've heard mixed things about Royal Purple, though mostly good.

If you want the best of the best, I've been told AMSOIL is the way to go. Then again, oil opinions can vary, as we all know.
Last review I read at the Oil Guy Bob site on Amsoil's best, the Signature Series, it actually got bested [though it was very close] by PP...haven't seen any RP results. Some of the best UOAs that I've come across there was actually on Valvoline & Napa's version of Valvoline.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #22
jt258

Drives: 10' corolla ce
I USE ROYAL PURPLE ITS GOOD STUFF BUT I GET MINE FOR 6.95
jt258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #23
cruz-gsr

Drives: 08 Yaris Lift Back
my teachers at uti use it they prove that you will get better MPG and it will prevent future parts failure.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #24
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by posaunemeister View Post

You contradict yourself. You WOULD want to maintain your car as best as possible so that you'd get the most trade-in value for your car when the time comes. Besides, not all of us trade-in our cars as frequently (or infrequently) as you do. As well, there are people who exceed 150K within 2yrs of owning their Yaris. If they do that much driving, don't you think it's a justifiable investment to purchase synthetic oil? What about people who live in areas with colder climates? Should they not invest in synthetic oil, regardless of how inexpensive the Yaris is? Don't just view things from your eyes.

And since oil doesn't need to be changed so often, throwing in a few extra dollars for synthetics isn't going to hurt. I mean, we throw more money than that away every single day on our unnecessary luxuries, fast food (some of us), beer, etc. Big deal, you get me?
I think you are the one that doesn't get it!

Before you tell someone off, read!

He was asking why would anyone buy the expensive Royal Purple for a Yaris, not why anyone would buy synthetic oil!

Only a fool would use Royal Purple in their car because of all the following:

1. Using RP over another branded synthetic WILL NOT cause your engine to last longer.

2. Users of RP have not shown better UOA's then those that use other brands of synthetic oil, and in fact RP users show worse UOA's then most users of other brands of synthetic oil.

3. Why pay so much for RP when there are MANY cheaper synethetics that cost less and provide the same or better engine protection?

4. One can get 300,000+ miles from their Yaris engine if they use the cheapest "worse" conventional oil sold in America, so again, only a fool would pay $8 or more per quart for RP.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #25
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruz-gsr View Post
my teachers at uti use it they prove that you will get better MPG and it will prevent future parts failure.
No they didn't!

The increase in MPG when using synthetic is just 1% or 2% and this is according to the makers of synthetic oil.

It is exceedingly rare (like getting hit by an asteroid) for an engine to fail because if oil issues, unless the oil leaks out or is severely low.

Lots of BS coming from some of you 20 something males that know everything :-(
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #26
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
Last review I read at the Oil Guy Bob site on Amsoil's best, the Signature Series, it actually got bested [though it was very close] by PP...haven't seen any RP results. Some of the best UOAs that I've come across there was actually on Valvoline & Napa's version of Valvoline.
PP? Penzoil Platinum?
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #27
posaunemeister

Drives: 2008 Yaris S LB - MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
I think you are the one that doesn't get it!

Before you tell someone off, read!

He was asking why would anyone buy the expensive Royal Purple for a Yaris, not why anyone would buy synthetic oil!
Yeah, I realized that after he finally stated that he uses Mobile1. So, calm yourself down. Besides, if anyone wanted to use RP in their engine, it's certainly their prerogative.
posaunemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:35 PM   #28
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
PP? Penzoil Platinum?
yep.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #29
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
yep.
My friend uses that in his Mazda3 and likes it a lot. I can tell you that it made his motor a hellova lot quieter. Now that I'm at 10k miles, I think I'll make the switch to syn.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #30
posaunemeister

Drives: 2008 Yaris S LB - MM
You should! Especially since winter is approaching in you live in Boston. Your car will thank you, eventually.
posaunemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #31
Inspector14

Drives: 09 Yaris hatch, Meteor Metal
from my comparisons of various oils' data sheets, Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 had the second thinnest cold viscosity. Penn Plat 5w-30 was extremely good as well.

after doing this research comparing pennzoil, castrol, mobil, amsoil, royal purple, and others datasheets only, i have dropped my facination with group 3 / 4/ 5 and gone with the raw data.

Formula Shell had the lowest viscosity when cold, better than amsoil. royal purple actually had a pretty thick viscosity when cold.

the marketing really gets people when it comes to motor oil. you really gotta look at the data sheets closely.
Inspector14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #32
LatinFG2

Drives: 08 Civic Si & 07 Yaris S
Im going to using Catrol or Mobil synthetic oil my next oil change on the Yaris. Will probably go with Eneos for my Si
LatinFG2 is offline   Reply With Quote