Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #19
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
That's only a concern with the Fumoto

The Fram has no lever, it has the internal pressure seal that only gets activated when you screw on the drain hose during an oil change, plus it also has the redundant outer seal and screw on cap, and it's a lot smaller.

Most Fram SD p/n's @ amazon are less than $8.00, over $20.00 less than the Fumoto @ amazon

I believe ours is the SD-3 [M12x1.25], not a M14x1.50 as previously mentioned.

It is 12mm-1.25.

I put the Fumuto F-103 on my Yaris and my Xterra (same size one as the Yaris). I was very impressed with the quality and with how hard it would be for the valve to be accidentally opened. it has a ball valve, and on top of that it has a significant spring that you have to press the lever against to open the ball valve.

It's nice being able to drain the oil without getting a drop on your hands.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #20
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It is 12mm-1.25.

I put the Fumuto F-103 on my Yaris and my Xterra (same size one as the Yaris). I was very impressed with the quality and with how hard it would be for the valve to be accidentally opened. it has a ball valve, and on top of that it has a significant spring that you have to press the lever against to open the ball valve.

It's nice being able to drain the oil without getting a drop on your hands.
I'm thinking about getting something, probably the Fram, because I'll be doing UOAs on my next 2 oil changes and figured it'd be easier to get samples with a drain device.

The Fumoto lever doesn't scare me, but if it hangs a little lower than the pan I was afraid that a board or similar debris could hit the entire valve itself.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #21
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Here's what mine looks like.

From the front (barely visible between the two bumps):
drain valve front.jpg

From the side (If you put a level across the bottom most point of the oil pan it sticks down about 1/2" below the bottom of the pan):
drain valve side.jpg
Old 10-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #22
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
That's only a concern with the Fumoto

The Fram has no lever, it has the internal pressure seal that only gets activated when you screw on the drain hose during an oil change, plus it also has the redundant outer seal and screw on cap, and it's a lot smaller.

Most Fram SD p/n's @ amazon are less than $8.00, over $20.00 less than the Fumoto @ amazon

I believe ours is the SD-3 [M12x1.25], not a M14x1.50 as previously mentioned.
The valve can NOT accidentally open. You can open and close the valve to get samples. You can control a valve. You can not sample as easily with the Fram.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #23
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
The valve can NOT accidentally open. You can open and close the valve to get samples. You can control a valve. You can not sample as easily with the Fram.
Look above. The Fomoto is a much larger target, that's what I worry about, again, not too worried about the actual lever. Any large item like a board will knock that valve off, easily. I just worked on a Lexus that got its transmission dipstick cut in two, ruining the transmission, and it was hidden waaaay better than the exposed Fumoto valve. The Fram valve is a whole lot smaller target. And you can sample very easily with the Fram. Their drain hose threads on, so simply control how much you want to tighten, same as how much you want to pivot the Fumoto lever.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 10-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #24
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Here's what mine looks like.

From the front (barely visible between the two bumps):
Attachment 29144

From the side (If you put a level across the bottom most point of the oil pan it sticks down about 1/2" below the bottom of the pan):
Attachment 29145

Hmm I gotta think hitting something on the freeway like a tire carcass is going to make your day a lot more interesting!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #25
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Look above. The Fomoto is a much larger target, that's what I worry about, again, not too worried about the actual lever. Any large item like a board will knock that valve off, easily. I just worked on a Lexus that got its transmission dipstick cut in two, ruining the transmission, and it was hidden waaaay better than the exposed Fumoto valve. The Fram valve is a whole lot smaller target. And you can sample very easily with the Fram. Their drain hose threads on, so simply control how much you want to tighten, same as how much you want to pivot the Fumoto lever.
Obviously you want a Fram. So why not, just buy it. You won't be happy otherwise.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #26
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Obviously you want a Fram. So why not, just buy it. You won't be happy otherwise.
No, I want the one that will be least likely to cause me headaches and looks the least like a sore thumb...just sorry that Fram looks like the smarter choice for me [and I'm not the only one], and even worse that it's only $8.00 at amazon, but the Fomoto does have the much more exotic sounding name.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 10-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #27
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I looked at the Fram one at WalMart and wasn't impressed with the quality of it. The thing that struck me about the Fumoto is that it is an incredibly well made valve (hence the price tag). It is definitely a larger target, but if it took a hit, I think it would rip away a chunk of the oil pan before it actually broke. The Fram seemed like it could be deformed quite easily.

Our oil pan is an easy target for road debris, considering how close it is to the ground. If I ran over something that I couldn't avoid in the road, I would pull over as quickly as possible to assess damage.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #28
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Hmm I gotta think hitting something on the freeway like a tire carcass is going to make your day a lot more interesting!
Agreed. Looks like a big ol' bulls-eye to me.

I just ordered the Fram SD-3 [$12.89, shipped], I'll post up some pictures when I get it installed.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 10-13-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #29
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Agreed. Looks like a big ol' bulls-eye to me.

I just ordered the Fram SD-3 [$12.89, shipped], I'll post up some pictures when I get it installed.
got a link to the exact unit?
If I do this.... it only makes sense for me to do it to both my yaris & the 00 subaru legacy the better half drives.

The fram would most likely be fine, and if I could get two shipped for under $30, that saves me enough to fill my tank up with gas.

$30 savings is significant... I doubt fram would sell a product that was bound to get them sued multiple times because it easily broke when it hit dibris, or randomly leaked.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #30
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
got a link to the exact unit?
If I do this.... it only makes sense for me to do it to both my yaris & the 00 subaru legacy the better half drives.

The fram would most likely be fine, and if I could get two shipped for under $30, that saves me enough to fill my tank up with gas.

$30 savings is significant... I doubt fram would sell a product that was bound to get them sued multiple times because it easily broke when it hit dibris, or randomly leaked.
This is the link for the 12x1.25 Sure Drain

http://www.amazon.com/Fram-SD3-SureD...5474625&sr=8-4

The good thing about it is its small size which means if it gets hit it'll probably be more of a glancing blow. If it was bigger it'd take a harder hit. And I doubt it'll ever leak. It's got a good internal seal, plus the cap is o-ring sealed and leak proof if tightened properly. My brother has used one for a long time, no problems and he seems to like its quality.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 10-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #31
1stToyota

A photo of my Fram SureDrain with dust cap installed. Seems sweet.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 10-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #32
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Angry

My daughter took her Yaris, at my recommendation, to the dealer for an oil change. They charged her something ridiculous like $10 for the oil plug gasket. None of us are ever going to a Toyota dealership for service again. Recalls only.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #33
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
that fram stick out just as far as the fumoto. ive had a fumoto on my car for a year now and have nothing but great things to say about it! I highly recommend the fumoto valve...and before you say 'it will get whacked off by something' take it from someone who is ACTUALLY lowered. It doesnt come anywhere near hitting speed bumps of hitting banked turns on the nashville superspeedway (pretty rough transition from turns to the straighaway).
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #34
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
that fram stick out just as far as the fumoto. ive had a fumoto on my car for a year now and have nothing but great things to say about it! I highly recommend the fumoto valve...and before you say 'it will get whacked off by something' take it from someone who is ACTUALLY lowered. It doesnt come anywhere near hitting speed bumps of hitting banked turns on the nashville superspeedway (pretty rough transition from turns to the straighaway).
Close. About 3/4" vs 7/8"

Anything that's in your path and large enough will do some whacking, and if that's the case I'd much rather be round instead of flat, and $8.00 still pwns $28.00, imo.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 10-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #35
N2scouting

Drives: 2009 3DHB manual Black
I have a 2009 3DRHB. My oil plug does not use a gasket.
N2scouting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #36
POORSHA

Drives: 2008 LB
I use the fram, 3 changes no problem
POORSHA is offline   Reply With Quote