Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #37
JonS

Drives: 2009 3 door Liftback
I installed the Fram a few weeks ago. The quality is very good and should not have any issues.
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #38
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2scouting View Post
I have a 2009 3DRHB. My oil plug does not use a gasket.
If it's like my '08, it's stuck to the pan. Unless it comes loose by itself, best not to disturb it. It's coated aluminum and the coating breaks loose if disturbed, or at least mine did, but it didn't matter because I did away with my plug and gasket.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #39
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
I have had two Fumoto valves on two different cars and they are of excellent quality-I understand they have been granted OE status in Japan. I highly recommend them.

On my Yaris I was a little uneasy however due to the location of the drain plug. I ended up ordering a Fram from Amazon due to the low price so I could check one out. I think they are also well made and have since out fitted several engines and a compressor I service at work with Sure Drains and am happy with them- especially considering they were less than 8 dollars each. I have enough on hand also to outfit our small fleet of police cars.

My opinion is one would do well with either the Fumoto or the Sure Drain. They make changing oil even more fun and provide a much easier and cleaner means of obtaining UOAs for those who are inclined to.

1st, I have found the Sure Drain works well for sampling with the hose removed from the drain fitting. I would draw a few ounces, discard, then draw a sample. Either way much easier to get a non-contaminated sample than using the standard drain plug.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote