Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Did Toyota Prius Driver Fake Unintended Acceleration?

http://autos.aol.com/article/prius-driver-scam

Did the driver of a runaway Toyota Prius in San Diego tell the truth when he said his accelerator pedal stuck earlier this week? New evidence is calling the driver's credibility into question, although the real answer will not be entirely clear until Toyota and the NHTSA announce the results of their investigation. Details about the driver, James Sikes, leave many wondering if he had ulterior motives for his claims.

USA Today and Jalopnik.com are directly asking the question as to whether or not he faked the incident, citing previous issues with debt and repeated insurance claims as reason for their doubts.

The reports indicate that prior to his unintended acceleration incident, James Sikes and his wife -- both realtors -- found themselves grappling with California's notorious housing bubble and filed for bankruptcy in 2008. Reports show they have $700,000 in debt to their names. He already had a motor home, Mercedes-Benz automobile and Dodge Truck repossessed in the proceedings with creditors.

Among the creditors to whom he owes payments is Toyota Financial Services. Various reports indicate that Sikes is either current with his payments or behind by five months on the 2008 Toyota Prius involved in this week's incident, which has 7,200 miles on it and is valued at $20,494.

Are All Claims Real?

If everyone who gets into a car accident or gets caught speeding is driving a Toyota, should we assume they're experiencing sudden acceleration? The question is an uncomfortable one: if every incident involving a Toyota could be blamed on the company and not the driver, it gives a free pass (albeit a frightening one) to those who choose to exploit it.

For example, in the first 10 weeks of 2009, there were 272 complaints filed to NHTSA in the U.S. for speed control issues with the Prius, according to Associated Press reports. In all of 2008 there were only 74 and just 8 in 2007.

If Sikes's claims were fake, he played a convincing hand. At the time of the incident, all signs pointed to his experience as being authentic.

"I won't drive that car again, period," he told reporters.

Furthermore, the recording of his 911 call, since released, was evidence of the situation's authenticity; unless Sikes was an actor of the highest order, we can't imagine how he'd fake this incident.

Perhaps even more damaging are reports that Sikes has a long history of items being stolen from him, for which he then filed insurance claims.

Skeptics of Sikes also cite the 911 tape that was released shortly after the incident. During the tape, the dispatcher repeatedly told Sikes to put the car in neutral in order to stop it from accelerating. Sikes did not comply with her instructions or the instructions of the officer on the scene who told him to do the same thing via his public address system as they tore down the highway.

Beyond the call itself, the Associated Press reports that Sikes's car was equipped with a brake override system, something that should have slowed the car down once he stomped on the brake pedal.

Sikes claimed he thought that would "flip the car."

"I've since found out that's not possible, but I had no idea," Sikes told USA Today. "Hopefully, I helped save five to 10 lives because people are now finding out" how to put a moving Prius into neutral.

Until Toyota and the NHTSA release the results of their investigation, there won’t be any real answers.
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBougie View Post

Beyond the call itself, the Associated Press reports that Sikes's car was equipped with a brake override system, something that should have slowed the car down once he stomped on the brake pedal.

Sikes claimed he thought that would "flip the car."

"I've since found out that's not possible, but I had no idea," Sikes told USA Today. "Hopefully, I helped save five to 10 lives because people are now finding out" how to put a moving Prius into neutral.
This is like an SNL "Weekend Update" punchline.

A man alleging his Prius speeding down a highway, due to unintended acceleration, phoned 911. Police told the man "to stop your car, use the brakes". The man's response: "say what?".

The guy sounds like a complete fucking turd, and I hope he gets exposed for the fraud he is (jail time is a bonus).
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Quote:
"Hopefully, I helped save five to 10 lives because people are now finding out"

I think the only thing that people are finding out is that this man is either incompetent, a liar, or both.

I wonder if he'll be cell mates with balloon boy's dad?
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Fraud.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Fraud.

A) he said he was going so fast he didn't dare shift to neutral
for fear that taking the hand off the wheel, he'd flip the car

1) 2008 prius you can shift with both hands still on wheel, it is very close to
steering wheel

2) he said he reached down to try to pull accelerator up

3) he managed to have a hand free to call 911 and stay on the cell phone.
perhaps it was bluetooth ? so this one......still BS because he would have had
to take a hand off the wheel to initiate the call. easily could have hit neutral

this goes against 1 -and- the reach while driving to get your hands down
to the pedal to try and pull it up is nearly impossible even for a gorilla with
long arms

B) a host of other inconsistencies in his story

FRAUD

C) he will be found out and nailed with a huge fine, possible jailtime
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
Banned

and what is with this ?

This is helpful. It appears the 'runaway accelerations' are occurring at highway speeds ... 60+ mph. If we're going to have any success at replication, we need to understand the entry conditions.

all the stories are on the highway, or in a parking lot smashing through a building wall. here is why. It is safe to fake this crap on the highway and in parking lots. It is NOT safe to fake this on rural or suburban roads 35-45mph limits with stops signs and turns.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
JBougie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I wonder if he'll be cell mates with balloon boy's dad?

This guy was a douche bag. I hope he is found to be a fraud and then maybe Toyota can go after him somehow because that got a HUGE amount of publicity and is NOT helping them right now.

The Prius guy: Ass hat
Old 03-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
kargoboy

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
Wow, I'm glad I saw this...the second I heard about this I thought it was a crock of shit.
I really thought I was the only one!
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
i thought that myself... but i can't bring that up myself because i kinda represent toyota...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #10
Banned

Toyota won't go after him if he is hoaxing. they may make a 'statement' at most.

the feds will go after him
Old 03-13-2010, 12:55 AM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Douche-bag alert.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:12 AM   #12
JBougie
Banned

I'm honestly shocked that a newspaper put an article out like this .... I didn't think anyone within the media would try to shed a positive light for Toyota right now.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:30 AM   #13
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Quote:
I'm honestly shocked that a newspaper put an article out like this .... I didn't think anyone within the media would try to shed a positive light for Toyota right now.
of course toyota is being picked on right now... we have been on top for a long while, and the camry started selling more than the F-150...

back when the ford/firestone crap came up, they were on top... and did we really hear about any other manufacturer doing any recalls then? nope...

this will all eventually blow over, and toyota will still be on top... there was also a blurb on the national news this morning that the "unintended acceleration" issue was affecting other manufacturers... then they switched straight to a toyota dealer saying "nobody wants to buy these cars..." but they are selling pretty well regardless...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:20 AM   #14
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
this will all eventually blow over, and toyota will still be on top...
true, but it does get on my nerves...like today, i went in for the Yaris recall, for the foam padding that could ignite flames..tech said my car was not part of that, even though it is a 2007 model, which took that recall list~

And while all this was going on, some random customer comes up to me and says, "so even your little hatchback was effected by the gas pedal recall?, shows how cheap Toyota has become.." I told him no, my car's fine, and i think most of the cars are, it's just dumb driver's who shouldn't be driving at fault...
Guy got mad and walked off~
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
If this guy does turn out to be a fraud... beyond any doubt to a court.... I wonder if toyota would go after him for slander.... I mean, aren't corporations technically people in the eyes of the law? Speaking false info about a company on such a large scale, and using such damaging claims... oh man. If I were toyota I'd have lawyers already making up a case.

hmmm might be able to hit him up with libel too if the guy has written anything (like e-mail) to any media corporations.... and i'm sure he has.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #16
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
squawk squawk the vultures are here...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:22 PM   #17
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
If this guy does turn out to be a fraud... beyond any doubt to a court.... I wonder if toyota would go after him for slander.... I mean, aren't corporations technically people in the eyes of the law?
They could. But they wouldn't. Suing your customers is always dangerous from a PR standpoint. And in this case, it would be very high profile action. I'm sure they wouldn't mind watching the Feds rip Mr. Sikes to pieces, though. And I'm quite sure that Toyota is more than willing to cooperate fully with the authorities to see justice done.

-Steve
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:52 PM   #18
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
if it's a scam , he needs to be made an example for all those who are currently suing with false allegations or thinking of trying to get on the easy money trail .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote