Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
Cleaning throttle body help!!

Can someone please guide me the steps to get access and clean the throttle body?

I looked under the hood and tried to figure out how to get the wire harness with the blue colour plug out of the way, but can't find a way to do it.

As you can see, i slipped out the 'A' hose but still have no idea what next.

caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Well D un-snaps from B. (Look close and you should be able to find where to press on D to release catch and pull off). If you follow the wrapping of D's wires to the plastic clamp holding it to E, that clamp can be un-snapped from underneath and the intact clamp holding the wires can be lifted. Detaching hoses should be straight forward. Try building a fixture to do all that when you add a short ram intake. I had to in order to keep things in the stock position and give it a clean look. Anyway hope this helps.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
caineroad

So that means A, C, D and the plastic clamp will be disconnected, but everything else intact?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
caineroad

OK!! Fixed!

Got it out and cleaned! THANKS
Old 12-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Good. Hope I helped.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
caineroad

i followed your instruction to get access to the TB!

after cleaning TB and MAF sensor... my car runs a lot smoother!! it revs faster now, like when i first bought the car. i've never done it before since new, the car has 120,000km.

to anyone who wish to do this, i suggest you do it cuz you will see deposits on both TB and MAF, not a lot but it affects the performance and mpg of the vehicle!
Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
vellano

Drives: Yaris 2D 2007
May I know how and what you use to clean the TB, thanks...
vellano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
caineroad

I used TB cleaner, people say carb cleaner also works but i worry that it damages gaskets..

You just get the intake out of the way, then turn the key to ON position and get something heavy to hold down the gas pedal. This will open the valve in the TB, and you spray some TB cleaner(not too much) area you see dirty, wipe off with rag.

After that, if you get the check engine light, just disconnect the battery for a few hours(or overnight), and connect it back it will reset everything.

Bought a twin pack from local auto shop

Old 12-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
vellano

Drives: Yaris 2D 2007
Thank you.... caineroad
vellano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:12 AM   #10
lh59

Drives: 3 dr 1.3 2NZ
Realized this is an old thread, but can I reach throttle body by just unscrewing F and clean it from there? When my aircon is on, the engine sometimes sputter and dies while on idle.
lh59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh59 View Post
Realized this is an old thread, but can I reach throttle body by just unscrewing F and clean it from there? When my aircon is on, the engine sometimes sputter and dies while on idle.
Yes. You can access it pretty well just by disconnecting the intake hose. You will still want to open the butterfly to clean the inside as well. With the ignition on (but engine off) either wedge something against the gas pedal or have a helper press it to keep the throttle open for cleaning.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #12
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh59 View Post
That's all I did to clean my TB and it worked well. I used an old tooth brush and TB cleaner, kept the butterfly open and sprayed inside and then brushed any carbon out. It seemed to work well.

That was 15,000km ago and I noticed lately that my car seems to idle around 500RPM and then I can feel a slight rumble and it will rise up briefly to 600 and then back down. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "rough idle" but it is noticeable while being stopped most of the time. Anyone know the recommended cleaning interval for the TB? I'm surprised if a dirty TB is what is causing this issue since I cleaned it not that long ago. I'm also using an oil catch can FWIW.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #13
lh59

Drives: 3 dr 1.3 2NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Yes. You can access it pretty well just by disconnecting the intake hose. You will still want to open the butterfly to clean the inside as well. With the ignition on (but engine off) either wedge something against the gas pedal or have a helper press it to keep the throttle open for cleaning.
Thanks Scotty. I cleaned out the TB pretty good, but did have to unsnap some of the wire loom to move it out of the way. A world of difference it make to my rough idle. Completely gone!
lh59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:18 PM   #14
Sarvesh

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2012
Low rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
That's all I did to clean my TB and it worked well. I used an old tooth brush and TB cleaner, kept the butterfly open and sprayed inside and then brushed any carbon out. It seemed to work well.

That was 15,000km ago and I noticed lately that my car seems to idle around 500RPM and then I can feel a slight rumble and it will rise up briefly to 600 and then back down. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "rough idle" but it is noticeable while being stopped most of the time. Anyone know the recommended cleaning interval for the TB? I'm surprised if a dirty TB is what is causing this issue since I cleaned it not that long ago. I'm also using an oil catch can FWIW.

Hi. I wanted to know if you were able to solve the low rpm problem? I am having the same problem in my Yaris. Cleaning the throttle body doesn't seem to solve the problem. Can you advise if ever you know the solution.
Sarvesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:32 PM   #15
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
The issue ended up being a vacuum leak coming from m oil catch can. Once I sealed that it went away and the idle normalized.

Use a code reader and check the short and long term fuel trims to check for vacuum leaks.