Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
volleyballgeek

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Yaris hitch??

Does anyone have a hitch on their Yaris? We had one written in to our sales agreement but the dealership never delivered. Now they want to write us a check after a year an a half of waiting, so we can have it done. I need to know how much it costs to buy a hitch, have it installed and if there are any other costs (Maybe wiring).

Can anyone help?
volleyballgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
Unless you are towing a single small jet-ski or a yard refuse John Deer trailer, it's not a good idea IMO. You'll probably damage your transmission, rear suspension, or YOU when your 0-60 time has to be measured in minutes not seconds...
Old 07-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I have a Hidden Hitch and I use it with a bike rack. All you see is the receiver which is covered by a rubber plug. With the bike rack and a anti-rattle lock, all is quiet. It works quite well for this application.
keesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
jdium
Mr Attitude

Didn't think of that. That's a great reason to have one. Much better than the racks that want you to drill your roof...just can't justify drilling the roof of ANY car...
Old 07-04-2007, 10:49 PM   #5
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdium View Post
Didn't think of that. That's a great reason to have one. Much better than the racks that want you to drill your roof...just can't justify drilling the roof of ANY car...
Uh, no. I have roof racks on my '81 volvo and have to hoist the bikes up. Also, they are up there in the air stream. The hoisting isn't a problem unless you've been riding hard all day; but, the loss of mpg is about 2 mpg with them up there - not a big thing but still. I rather like them back there - easy to deal with. I haven't done a mpg test yet, but I'm currently getting 41 on the open road. I'll post next week after my trip this coming weekend. Given they are in the exit stream, the hit should be minimal.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
jdium
Mr Attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by keesue View Post
Uh, no. I have roof racks on my '81 volvo and have to hoist the bikes up. Also, they are up there in the air stream. The hoisting isn't a problem unless you've been riding hard all day; but, the loss of mpg is about 2 mpg with them up there - not a big thing but still. I rather like them back there - easy to deal with. I haven't done a mpg test yet, but I'm currently getting 41 on the open road. I'll post next week after my trip this coming weekend. Given they are in the exit stream, the hit should be minimal.
Huh? I said that was a GOOD reason. Hitch rack is a good idea. Please hang up and dial again, this call could not be completed as dialed..
Old 07-04-2007, 11:48 PM   #7
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

I was agreeing with you, saying, "uh, no" (it isn't a good idea to drill holes). I was also adding some additional data points to support the efficacy of a bike rack in the rear versus the top. Hope that helps. Upon re-read, I realize that my introductory comment may not have been intuitively obvious if not considered in the total context of what I wrote.

Last edited by keesue; 07-05-2007 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 07-05-2007, 02:20 AM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
whew, glad you guys got that cleared up...
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:03 AM   #9
jdium
Mr Attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by keesue View Post
I was agreeing with you, saying, "uh, no" (it isn't a good idea to drill holes). I was also adding some additional data points to support the efficacy of a bike rack in the rear versus the top. Hope that helps. Upon re-read, I realize that my introductory comment may not have been intuitively obvious if not considered in the total context of what I wrote.
Gotcha. Conclusion: Hitch is good for rack, not for actual tow use...right?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:34 AM   #10
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdium View Post
Gotcha. Conclusion: Hitch is good for rack, not for actual tow use...right?
Yeah. I would be a lil hesitant on towing with the Yaris. The specs say it will tow but I don't know...kinda risky like you said. 'Sup, Cali Yaris?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:39 AM   #11
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
A small foldup trailer able to hold 4' x 8' paneling, furniture, or what-not...as long as you're under 700#...wouldn't bother me. This could pay for itself fairly fast, compared the the 4x4 pickup I have that gets 10mpg. Common sense goes a long way.... I hate to see the pickups towing 5,000# and above passing me at 70+mph. Now if I could only find someone to buy that old truck!!!!
Old 07-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #12
WRBlue

Drives: Yaris 3 Door, 04 WRX, 69 Lotus
Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballgeek View Post
Now they want to write us a check after a year an a half of waiting, so we can have it done.
Are they going to be giving you the present value of what you paid or what you actually paid?
If your getting a check for what you paid, they are screwing you... Even at just inflation, you should be getting about $5 for every $200. You could make a case that you could have made $17 for every $200 if you had never given them the money and invested it.

Yes there is wiring needed, expect to pay $250 at most for a hitch. For a Class I/II like a Yaris can take, $150 might be a better number.
WRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #13
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBlue View Post
...expect to pay $250 at most for a hitch. For a Class I/II like a Yaris can take, $150 might be a better number.
Yeah, that was about what I paid. 1 1/4" Hidden Hitch...works nicely and just the receiver showing all tucked up under the bumper stealth-like.