Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #19
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
My God... I haven't seen two cars this ugly since I saw the Fit and Versa parked next to eachother on campus.

New 500 = 5 out of 5 barfs
New Focus = 4 out of 5 barfs

They look so generic, like Ford is afraid to make any statement right now because it may just be their last.

The day Ford gives up on cars and sticks to trucks (consumer and commercial) is a wonderful day for US auto manufacturing.

And dude, eTiMaGo... trust me, we don't get the cool cars. Europe does! We have the f'n Dodge Magnum and the Chevy SSR... these are our works of art. Heavy, archane, gaudy, pathetic attempts at trying to polish a turd from the 1940's and 50's.

Maybe that is why I like the Yaris so much... it resembles no other car I've ever seen. The big trend right now is taking classic designs and making the lines a little smoother to make them look modern. The Yaris is just modern... they saved the nostalgia for the idiots at GM and Ford.

EDIT: Forgive me for leaving out the one bright spot we have left... the Chevrolet Corvette.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:09 PM   #20
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
The European Focus is nice as we all figured, the reason they won't bring it over here because then they would have to bump the price up and Americans (generally speaking) won't buy it...they figure they can get a bigger car with a similar price if that makes sense. The USDM Focus is suppose to be an "entry" car not bare bones but you know Corolla territory although I guess it competes with the Corolla (now Auris hatch) in Europe but this Focus is like a "premium" compact. I think its the same reason that Toyota and other car makers don't bring the European versions over as they are positioned differently than they are in the U.S. it would be too costly. They should at least bring a credible performance Focus to the U.S., maybe later. Regardless if we think its ugly I know it will sell, I see Focus's everywhere!!!!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:18 PM   #21
foxtrot685

Drives: Scion xA
ford would face alot of problems if they bought teh euro focus to america.
1. the base price of a new focus is about $14,500-$16,000; if they brought the euro focus to america the base price would be around $17,000. no one is going to pay that much to start for a compact. in mazdas case (the mazda3's platform is shared with the euro focus) it is a good enough car that people dont mind shelling out the $15,000 base price which by the way does not have a/c, power anything except steering, or cruise. if u want those features its an additional $1100.
2. their crash regs are, as we all know, different and the design of teh euro focus is based upon those regs, which means that everything from the a pillar up would have to be redesigned to incorporate our crash regs.
theres way more probs than these but the bottom line is ford screwed up again! lol

the closest u can get to a euro focus is teh mazda 3 or volvo s40
foxtrot685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:50 PM   #22
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
Indeed, the Mazda 3 was my second choice...

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:27 AM   #23
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
saw the pic, a nd thought it was an aveo?
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:01 AM   #24
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenjar View Post
Ever notice that ford makes the ugliest rims?

-- Blen
Forget the rims... ever notice that Ford makes the ugliest CARS? About the only one that's not absolutely vomit inducing is the Mustang, and even then, I don't really care for it's looks, I understand it's a throwback to yesteryear, but it really sort of misses the mark, it just looks bloated. Ford is seriously neglecting it's US market, the Focus has gotten at least 3 or 4 new versions since the original in Europe, meanwhile the US is stuck with a facelifted version of the same prehistoric 1st gen Focus... we never get Ford's neat smaller cars, not even so much as a Ford Ka/SportKa. I hate to see an American icon get bought out by an overseas car company, but I see it coming, especially if they don't clean up thier lineup and quit trying to pass these ugly, uninspiring designs on us. The positive side to a buyout is that maybe a Japanese or European maker will buy them, and the products will finally improve, in both looks AND reliability (something for which US Fords are not very well known...) it did work for Dodge, after all. Problem is, it could go the other way and they could be purchased by a Chinese auto group, like what happened to the poor MG/Rover Group.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:11 AM   #25
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
isn't ford owned by mazda now? or is it the other way around?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #26
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
The other way around actually.

Most american automakers have been missing the target lousily because they are stuck in the "bigger is better" mentality. Buyers buy big cars because they don't have a small choice :S. Toyota, Hond, and Nissan are showing the big comanies otherwise with the huge success of the Yaris, Fit, and the (sig) Versa. Toyota managed to move the Yaris price down from the international arena, couldn't Ford do the same thing? The Euro Focus is really neat, and their moneymaker, the big trucks, is being eroded by the foreign companies (Nissan, Toyota, Honda are slowly gaining sales, stealing the big 3 domain!), so they sometime will realize theat they have to rtart to come up with decent cars instead of the big (and ugly) 500 and whatnot...
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #27
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
I'm still waiting for Toyota to bring back the Supra

until then I'll stick with my egg or some other little Yota
Old 01-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #28
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
To my knowlege Ford only owns or has shares, I want to say 70% of Mazda, not all of it, so they just have a stake in Mazda but they don't entirely own it. Even the Fusion and its cusion Mercury Milan is based off a modified Mazda6 platform. But like others said I guess the Mazda3 is pretty much the European Focus, or close to it.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:06 PM   #29
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
i dunno, i was never really into the Focus. that Euro version looks okay though.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:46 AM   #30
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
It's a complete joke when compared to the next generation Mazda3 based european version that's been out for years while North America keeps getting the facelifted fossil...

Cheers
I thought I heard that the euro Ford Focus may be coming to North America soon?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #31
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Revenge View Post
Y'know, the Focus was pretty sweet when the VW designers handed it to Ford. But every change Ford has wrought since then has made this car uglier and uglier. Take a look at this new pic of the 2008 model. Is that not one ugly, misguided, confused front end? What in the world do they think they're doing???

~YR

why.... just why....
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #32
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
It's a complete joke when compared to the next generation Mazda3 based european version that's been out for years while North America keeps getting the facelifted fossil...

Cheers
Now thats a car I would drive!!!
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:01 AM   #33
as400g33k

Drives: 05 YRS Silver Lining Metallic
That yellow Focus is released here in Australia as the Focus XR5. Its got a turbo 5-cylinder from Volvo, 6 speed automatic, Recaros seats, and 18" alloys. Very nice car...
as400g33k is offline   Reply With Quote