Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
matthewboii

Drives: 2008 Flint Mica Yaris Sedan
sedan struggling to start

Hi, i have an 08 sedan and my baby is having a hard time starting! I turn it over and i takes a few seconds of what sounds like when you have to crank an old cars ignition in its attempt to start! And this is at all times not just the morning, toyota wants to charge me 120 $ an hour to look at it and i can NOT afford that! Ughh whats the point of a warrenty when you still spend hella money!

Any ideas are so greatly appreciated
matthewboii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
They souldn't be charging you if you have a warrenty. Odd they would say that. Check the spark for one thing.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
Seems like this is happening to a lot more people now. It happens to me about once every six months.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
matthewboii

What was wrong?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Autozone does free battery checks and maybe even starter/alternator checks too. If the starter check isn't free they'll have the tools to rent for free or cheap.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Go to an auto electric shop, they usually will test your battery for free. Check to make sure your bat is fine.

If its a battery issue, stop using electronics when you car is turned off... you are just killing your battery quicker.

If you have a manual and you don't fully press down the clutch sometimes it'll stutter cause you are riding the fence so to speak.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewboii View Post
Hi, i have an 08 sedan and my baby is having a hard time starting! I turn it over and i takes a few seconds of what sounds like when you have to crank an old cars ignition in its attempt to start! And this is at all times not just the morning, toyota wants to charge me 120 $ an hour to look at it and i can NOT afford that! Ughh whats the point of a warrenty when you still spend hella money!

If you've got extended cranking time before it starts, it won't be your battery. More likely a fuel pressure problem or fuel quality.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Marthos

Drives: 07 3Dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewboii View Post

What do you mean by, like an old car, is it cranking slow? Is it cranking normal but for a longer time?
Marthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
matthewboii

Normal but for a longer time, and what i mean is because of the way the starter is i am not actually physically holding the key and cranking, just giving it a quick turn and it does the "cranking" itself. And it just sound normal like a really slow start, like it tries three or four times before it actually starts
Old 08-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #10
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Not sure why an 08 wouldnt be under warranty but i wouldnt use that auto start method i'd use the old fashion method and hold the key in the crank position for up to 5 seconds to start the car,if it doesnt start the first thing i'd do is call the dealer but failing that there isnt much you can do on a modern car as its all electronic,i'd open the gas cap to vent any over pressure, check for spark,check that all vacuum lines are attached and all electrical connections are tight then get some beer.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
the_dude

Drives: Yaris 07
you definitely need to check spark plugs or starter. Do you drive a lot or something?
Old 08-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #12
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
That happened to me for like 3 weeks until the battery finally gave on me, and i needed a jump... check your battery like they said at an autozone or something like that... thats the most likely culprit... Turn everything off before turning on your car... A/C, Radio, Etc

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
Marthos

Drives: 07 3Dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealEnth View Post
That happened to me for like 3 weeks until the battery finally gave on me, and i needed a jump... check your battery like they said at an autozone or something like that... thats the most likely culprit... Turn everything off before turning on your car... A/C, Radio, Etc
A shot in the dark here but read the manual about your keys, Do you have the transponder keys (maybe wrong name my manual isnt infront of me atm) I read about the key ring and other keys causing a nostart.

I bet thats your problem, however, this has happened to me 1 time and I have the normal keys.
Marthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
matthewboii

Thank to those of you who actually fully read what i was asking, called toyota back and the guy i spoke to had just forgotten to mention that id be covered if it wasnt something i had done, so we will see next sat whats wrong! Sadly i have to wait, i have a busy schedule
Old 08-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #15
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
BAttery terminals, are they CLEAN?

Mine hasn't done this since i cleaned out my terminals...it use to this sometimes and in cold starts, but not anymore.

And my toyota dealer also wanted to charge me $120, even though the car is stil under warranty (engine wise)...I'll fight them off~~
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:14 PM   #16
Brian

Mine just did it a couple of hours ago.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:20 AM   #17
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Brian, are you going to go into the dealers to check it out soon?

I would like to know the actual cause of this (confirmed), instead of guessing ie: spark plugs, alternator, starter, batter terminals, etc....

Keep us updated on this situation~
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:45 AM   #18
Brian

I'm not gonna take it in seeing as how it rarely happens and chances are the dealer won't be able
to duplicate the problem. I'm not to worried about it at this point. I still have 35k miles left on
my warranty.