Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
chrisgblues

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Quoted $1484.59 for control arms. Rip-off?

So I had an MVI done today at the dealership on my 2007 Yaris 4-door and it failed because...

"Both Front control arm bushings separating. Cost to replace both front control arms and perform 4 wheel alignment $1,484.59 taxes in. (4) Part numbers 48068-59145 (Right Arm) and 48069-59135 (Left Arm)."

I don't know much about control arms, but this seems like a complete rip-off?! The guy said the parts are most of the cost, about $900. Is this really what it should cost??? Thanks.
chrisgblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Does anyone know if you can just replace the bushing and ball joints with a press tool instead of replacing the whole control arm? That would save a lot of money on parts.

If you cannot do the above I'd recommend getting the parts from rock auto instead of the dealership and either doing it yourself if you can or getting an indi shop to do it.

From what I understand the rear wheels cannot be aligned in the Yaris, only the fronts (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
tmontague

Does anyone know if you can just replace the bushing and ball joints with a press tool instead of replacing the whole control arm? That would save a lot of money on parts.

If you cannot do the above I'd recommend getting the parts from rock auto instead of the dealership and either doing it yourself if you can or getting an indi shop to do it.

From what I understand the rear wheels cannot be aligned in the Yaris, only the fronts (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 04-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
woops

Drives: Jeep Cherokee XJ 1996
toyota parts have always been ridiculously priced.

the ball joints for the Yaris cannot be replaced, if they are shot then you need a new control arm.. the bushings can be replaced if ball joints are good.
woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #5
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
Have a look at getting the parts from the US. I know it's a crazy drive to pick them up, so it's probably worth the brokerage and duty not to have to. But from my experience, if you shop online, even (especially) for dealer parts, the US price is 10% - 50% of Canadian price. At $900 here, if you could get the parts for half price, you'd be doing well if shipping was over $100 and brokerage was over $100.

For me, I just have them shipped to a kinek point, drive there, and pick them up, but for Nova Scotia that's far less practical. RockAuto quoted me $213.43 CDN (probably +HST as they are nice enough to pay that up front rather than screw you on brokerage) for dorman 521105 and 521106 (left and right lower control arms), shipped to B2N 7H3. Make sure those are what he needs before buying, of course!

$600 in labour would be about 6-7 hours, I'm guessing. Toyota quotes a lot of book time (7.5 hours?) for the snapped bolt issue which involves replacing both control arms (at worst), so they're not off. At least you'd be down to $800 instead of $1400. A decent mechanic will not complain with savings like that, though they'll refuse to warranty their labour if your part fails.

If you have the time, you could do the job with hand tools in your driveway for free (and it will take a full weekend or longer, and you should be experienced with basic car repairs), but once completed you need to drive straight to a shop for an alignment (About $80 - $100).

Good luck!
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #6
tmontague

FWIW I just spent some time searching the web and found out that you can infact replace just the ball joint. They sell them at rockauto for about $14 a piece CAD. Although it may just be better to purchase the whole arm if they are only $60 online.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
It takes 30mins to replace a control arm. It would take 2 hours to take the control arm out, knock the busing out and press a new one in.

But, I did pay 347.10$ in 2007 for a control arm. Honestly, for such an old car, just get an aftermarket control arm.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
canadian deacon

Drives: 2014 yaris 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
It takes 30mins to replace a control arm. It would take 2 hours to take the control arm out, knock the busing out and press a new one in.

But, I did pay 347.10$ in 2007 for a control arm. Honestly, for such an old car, just get an aftermarket control arm.
+1 on the aftermarket parts. If you can do the work yourself safely you will save a bundle.

Toyota brand parts from the states are a good option too. I replaced my clutch, pressure plate, and release bearing for $240 by buying online from the states. Would have cost $575 from the dealer here in NS.
canadian deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #9
chrisgblues

First of all, thanks for the replies!
I am not experienced in car repair so I wouldn't trust myself to do the job.
I can't wait for shipping across the border because my car has now failed MVI and I need the repair done by next Thursday to be legal on the road.
From what I'm hearing, the quote I got is a bit high but not outrageous (for being in Canada). So I think I will take it to a guy I know who runs a Napa Autopro dealership this week for another quote. Maybe he can knock off a few hundred and I will bite the bullet. The car has served me well so I guess it's worth it.

Will update you, thanks again!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #10
mimelio

Drives: NOTHING
Advance Auto has Moog for $114.99 each
mimelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #11
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
For an extra $40 RockAuto will ship the items in 2-4 days, international priority. My experience with that shipping option has been 3 days.

Or drive to the US and buy them. You could have them tomorrow if you take a day off work. It'll be an entire day of driving from where you are, but you'll save hundreds.

Last option, go to Canadian Tire / Parts Source and see how much the aftermarket parts are there. Maybe you get lucky and they're not the usual 5x markup that Canada gets. It's happened to me before. I actually managed to find a part once that was cheaper in Canada (shocker).
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
chrisgblues

So here's what I ended up doing...nothing! Seriously, I took the vehicle to an indy dealer for an MVI. I didn't tell them what the Toyota dealership said about the control arms. The indy dealer did the MVI and didn't find anything that failed, so I got a new sticker for 2 more years!

Having said that, they recommended an alignment, which I agreed to. After it came off the alignment machine they said they couldn't get it quite perfect because they believe my right control arms is slightly bent.

So all the signs are pointing to new control arms/bushings/ball joints in the future, but I am not under a deadline now, so I will probably wait for the parts to go on sale somewhere and buy them locally.

Thanks for your help!