Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
sk8manmike

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4d Sedan
07 Yaris Sedan Manual Tranny Problems

I've read a lot of posts on Yaris Manual Transmissions on this site, and found that a lot of people dislike the way their car shifts. I feel like I describe my shifting problems a little different that most people have.

The Problem:(hard to explain)
75% of the time when I shift to and from any gear the shifting feels rough and like I'm rubbing up against something at certain point during the shift. Also, when I am coming to a stop I can shift to gear 1 until I'm completely stop (it just won't let me). Same thing with gear 2 - I can down shift to it until I'm around 10-13 mph. Needless to say both problems are very irritating.

Since I'm still under Drivetrain warranty for another year, I took it in to the local Toyota dealership about 2 month ago (been busy). I explained to them what I've been experiencing, but I only felt like the rough shifting was a problem at that point (keep in mind I knew nothing of this sight before going in, and that this was a coming thing). This is what they told me:

So they tell me the shifter is worn, and I decline because that sounds pretty crazy for an 07 with 35k miles to have a worn shifter.

I've recently took of the cover off and took some photos to see if the shifter was really worn (whatever that means). I took the photos of the shifter exactly how I found it - not sure what that circular ring was doing there.........I know I didn't take everything off to give you guys a better view, but then again I don't know what I'm looking for.

Various Angles:
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/...e/IMG_2083.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/...e/IMG_2077.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/...e/IMG_2079.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/...e/IMG_2080.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/...e/IMG_2081.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/...e/IMG_2082.jpg

I don't see anything that looks worn. I just ordered the NSTSSK09
Engine Bay NST product, and will probably order the shifter one as well, but it would be nice to know if I have a more serious problem that I can use my warranty to fix. I'm the second owner and have had the car for about 6 months.

Thoughts? - any input is appreciated.
sk8manmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
When my shifting get rough or notchy - it is my clutch not fully disengaging. It only completely disengages about 1/4 " off the carpet. Thinking this is some air bubbles in the slave cylinder or the connected parts. Problem comes and goes. I havent bled the clutch hydraulics yet - MY GF wont help me work on the car!
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
try REDLINE - MT 90 ( www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7 ) or AMSOIL MTG ( www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx ) true synthetic gear oils . Both are 75w-90 and GL-4 . May help . Either one is less than $13 each . You'll need 2 quarts . GOOD LUCK .

Last edited by Hershey; 03-06-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
sk8manmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
When my shifting get rough or notchy - it is my clutch not fully disengaging. It only completely disengages about 1/4 " off the carpet. Thinking this is some air bubbles in the slave cylinder or the connected parts. Problem comes and goes. I havent bled the clutch hydraulics yet - MY GF wont help me work on the car!
Notchy is a good way to describe my problem, but even when the car is off and I cycle through the gears it feels the same - not sure that that would be the clutch not disengaging. Am I wrong?
Old 03-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #5
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
try REDLINE - MT 90 ( www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7 ) or AMSOIL MTG ( www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx ) true synthetic gear oils . Both are 75w-90 and GL-4 . May help . Either one is less than $13 each . You'll need 2 quarts . GOOD LUCK .
+1 to Redline
Old 03-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8manmike View Post
Notchy is a good way to describe my problem, but even when the car is off and I cycle through the gears it feels the same - not sure that that would be the clutch not disengaging. Am I wrong?
Trans doesnt work right when the car is off - only when spun up - so the feel when you are engine-off doesnt mean too much. Check and see where your clutch begins to engage - a good way is: if you can get the car on level ground and cant roll at idle, put it in second and slowly release the clutch (giving no gas!) and see when it JUST begins to grab at all - which U would notice by the idle speed lowering a tiny bit - this is the engagement point and if its not at least 1/2" or more off the floor, then the clutch master and slave hydralics arent working right and U will need a bleed or some other adjustment.

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 03-11-2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: sp
Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
TheSilkySmooth

Anyone try the walmart supertech semi syn - some other forums (WRX) seem to think its a good STD replacement for those who dont want to spend 30 bucks on 2 qts of gear oil.

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 03-11-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Do you have multiple floor mats ? If so the clutch may not be all the way to the floor, i've had this prob when starting the car.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
sk8manmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Trans doesnt work right when the car is off - only when spun up - so the feel when you are engine-off doesnt mean too much. Check and see where your clutch begins to engage - a good way is: if you can get the car on level ground and cant roll at idle, put it in second and slowly release the clutch (giving no gas!) and see when it JUST begins to grab at all - which U would notice by the idle speed lowering a tiny bit - this is the engagement point and if its not at least 1/2" or more off the floor, then the clutch master and slave hydralics arent working right and U will need a bleed or some other adjustment.
I'll give this a try on my way home from work today.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
sk8manmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post
Do you have multiple floor mats ? If so the clutch may not be all the way to the floor, i've had this prob when starting the car.
Checked floor mat and the clutch clears the single one I have.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
sk8manmike

I just got the NST Short shifter engine bay piece, and it definitely helped shorten the throw, but unfortunately my previous symptoms are still present. I think I'm actually going to have Toyota put in the new shifter so they can move on and find the real cause.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
And +1 on the Amsoil; made a noticeable difference in mine. Tried GL-5 Lubro-Moly 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil prior to the Amsoil; the Lubro-Moly made no difference at all over the factory fill.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

Drives: 2008 Silver 3DR Yaris Liftback
as far as the ring you found..... it goes to the shift boot at the top right under the shifter knob... it holds the shift boot to the shaft
zachryboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #14
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Notchyness is usually due to a worn syncro inside the transmission. That or the fluid needs to be changed. I dont think changing the shifter will do anything for you. You can try changing the fluid. Sometimes it helps smooth things out.

I remember on the older hondas you could use 10w30 oil as a replacement for their manual transmission and it would cause notchyness because of lack of friction modifiers. Some people liked that feel though.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #15
sk8manmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
And +1 on the Amsoil; made a noticeable difference in mine. Tried GL-5 Lubro-Moly 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil prior to the Amsoil; the Lubro-Moly made no difference at all over the factory fill.
I definitely would love to use the Redline and i'm sure that would improve things at least a little bit, but I'm worried voiding my warranty in case something more serious is wrong with it - that does void the warranty right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachryboles View Post
as far as the ring you found..... it goes to the shift boot at the top right under the shifter knob... it holds the shift boot to the shaft
Thanks, was wondering what that was doing there
Old 03-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #16
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

Drives: 2008 Silver 3DR Yaris Liftback
Talking

Quote:
I definitely would love to use the Redline and i'm sure that would improve things at least a little bit, but I'm worried voiding my warranty in case something more serious is wrong with it - that does void the warranty right?

yah.... enjoy getting that thing back on. i did that to my old sedan and it was a mofo to get back on right.
zachryboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #17
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:

Red line wont void the warranty its a 75w-90 API GL-4 gear oil and the yaris owner's manual calls for either GL-4 or GL-5. Since there is no hypoid final drive then GL-4 is what you want. Even a superbike oil like Mobil 1 racing 4T real synthetic would work fine since 75w-90 gear oil equals 5W/10W/15W-40 engine oil - as long as it doesnt have friction mods which bike oil does not have.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #18
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
keep receipts for the REDLINE or AMSOIL . If you don't do the tranny gear oil change yourself be sure to get and keep it from whom does the change for proof . Good luck with your problem .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote