Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #19
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
and an arrogant answer is unimpressive no matter who it comes from you may even be right largeorangefont, but you say it in such a way that many people don't care...

but both of you, honestly--dude posted up his new mod, did not ask for opinions of its utility. since this is not the thread to battle out your strut bar opinions, why not start a new thread and have at it? we might all learn something
The bar looks cool, it just does not do anything. If Loren were here He would agree with me. I'm sorry if it came off as arrogant, but people can buy whatever they like for their cars, it does not bother me.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #20
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
i see we can beat this all day long with no solid conclusion. im gonna say your 50% right so we can end this........
Fair enough.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #21
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
A useless strutbar is a useless strutbar no matter what brand it is.

You are sponsord by a company who produces said useless bars makes you a biased sorce of information. The fact that you would say that a Beatrush is less useless than a Tanabe is rediculous, and proves my point.

Why is the strut bar useless? The front struts are mounted in RUBBER which flexes, and the strut towers themselves are part of the firewall, which is one of the strongest areas of the car.

Yes, there are a couple braces that will help handling... strut braces are not one of them, on this particular car. Some of the undercar bracing is actually usefull.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg captain-obvious-8-finished.jpg (53.1 KB, 249 views)
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #22
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

^ Enjoy bracing something mounted in rubber
Old 10-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #23
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I put a strut bar on my shoulders and I notice that I can throw spin-moves on my cats with amazing accuracy, so I say they work.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #24
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
In extreme conditions you will notice the car feels more solid,I have proven this to myself,I have had the bar off several times,and took this turn at 60mph,withbar,and without,there is deffinitly a difference.Now at 30mph you wont notice a diffrence because the rubber has flex,but beyond the rubber flex,tthe bar helps stiffen the chassis.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:48 AM   #25
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Drives: Yaris 2006
Send a message via MSN to aucorium
hey guys , found this:

http://www.jdm-option.com/eng/feature/05_10/bodyup.html

in there they also use quite a few strut bars , i mean if big name tuners use it , then it must work. anyway , my 5c. :-)
aucorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:00 AM   #26
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Drives: Yaris 2006
Send a message via MSN to aucorium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benggolf2 View Post
Got the Tanabe front strut bar installed today!

She now handles very well, great turn-in; the car feel solid and well planted.

So far my set-up consists of: Eibach Pro-Kit springs, TRD rear sway bar and Tanabe front strut bar....all I need now is a set of Tokico HP Blues and rear disc brakes!

looks great bro! im getting mine soon , i think it already shipped out of USA , so should be here soon.
aucorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:41 AM   #27
jronald

Drives: Black NCP91R
Looks great!

Two things though:

1. Did you lift both front tires totally when installing the bar? (common mistake of strut bar installation that leads to "USELESS" bar)

2. Did you adjust the bar (you use Tanabe, it can be turned to put initial tension to suspension geometry) to give you the most initial tension before you tightened all bolts (and finally the gripping bolt)?

If you done that correctly, you 'almost' never need to re-tightened those bolts again!

P.S.: Actually, the chasis is rigid enough for handling all the weight transfer and suspension flexing (or else the windshield will breaking everytime the car doing hard cornering..), but the point of strut bar is only optimising the outer suspension when cornering. A good set springs and struts (or coilover) will do so much better, and cost more of course.

Last edited by jronald; 10-27-2008 at 12:51 AM.
jronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:20 AM   #28
rnelson

Drives: '07 Hatchback
Cool strut bar install

Is there anyway to install Tanabe strut tower without removing all the wipers and the splash shields? Any tips on installation?
rnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:28 AM   #29
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelson View Post
Is there anyway to install Tanabe strut tower without removing all the wipers and the splash shields? Any tips on installation?
im not sure with the tanabe but the beatrush/c-one/braille one requires it.

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 AM   #30
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Nope, but trust me, it's pretty easy getting those parts on and off. I've done it twice. Once for the tanabe bar and once for the spring install.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:55 PM   #31
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
The bar looks cool, it just does not do anything. If Loren were here He would agree with me. I'm sorry if it came off as arrogant, but people can buy whatever they like for their cars, it does not bother me.
The front suspension on this car need mucho work - doesnt handle as good as a Yugo ( Fiat 126). Traditionally teh stut towers move around alot under heavy side loads - but the closer they are to the firewall the less they will move. You do have to increase the durometer rating on most of the bushings of this fat pig to get it to steer.
Sonjas' Brother
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:48 PM   #32
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
The front suspension on this car need mucho work - doesnt handle as good as a Yugo ( Fiat 126). Traditionally teh stut towers move around alot under heavy side loads - but the closer they are to the firewall the less they will move. You do have to increase the durometer rating on most of the bushings of this fat pig to get it to steer.
Sonjas' Brother
Get some R compounds, Delrin arm bushings, and solid upper strut mounts, then we can talk about strut tower bracing.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:58 PM   #33
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
There is a DIY here for that specific bar. It was done just taking the wheels off to allow access from underneath. I did mine when I put in my TRD suspension package, removing all the stated BS in the process. My motive for removing was not because of the suspension or access to the nuts securing the top of the struts, it was to clean out debris from trees etc that had accumulated inside. Again, the Tanabe can be done without removing all the BS. The DIY also makes note of the hardware swap. I did that too because the hardware in my opinion also was less than adequate. No comment on the bar itself. I got it cheap and did it all at once. Good luck.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:16 AM   #34
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Get some R compounds, Delrin arm bushings, and solid upper strut mounts, then we can talk about strut tower bracing.
Right on, Bro', on a stiif bush. Been racin and know it. But then you woulnt have all that underhood 'B-L-i_N-G!' to show off - You know, The Rice Wiggers underhood jew-lerY

- Sonja's Bro
Old 11-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #35
bikegerm

Drives: 2007 Meteor LB
Hey Silky... I can tell by your avatar you're not into looks. I'll take my "bling" bar any day over a dull engine bay !! By the way, my "bling" bar did help my handling in turns at high speeds. It also matches my "bling" grounding wires, fuse box cover and redline hood damper. Does my AFE intake qualify as "bling" or a legimate mod?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Strut bar.jpg (214.7 KB, 202 views)
bikegerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #36
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegerm View Post
Hey Silky... I can tell by your avatar you're not into looks. I'll take my "bling" bar any day over a dull engine bay !! By the way, my "bling" bar did help my handling in turns at high speeds. It also matches my "bling" grounding wires, fuse box cover and redline hood damper. Does my AFE intake qualify as "bling" or a legimate mod?
NO man, looks good, I like Strut bars on the street, and K-braces underneath. Stiffer bushs on the steering box - where0ever. The body can use all the help you can give it. Just bustin 'em. Nice mods. I give you respect.