Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
product developments

Hey guys, in my infinite amounts of boredom, I was wondering what the yaris world has been doing recently, and if there is a need for the development or building of any specific parts. My area of preference is in performance upgrades, I don't really do cosmetic upgrades or fiberglass stuff... I no longer have a Yaris of my own, so doing a large project would require the use of someone else's car (i.e. for a turbo kit or anything of the sort) anyways, if there is a large desire for the building of any parts, just let me know guys, throw out some ideas.
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
bdc87
HISTORY REPEATED 11/04/08

Drives: 07' MM Vitz LB
Send a message via AIM to bdc87
Mid Pipe with Free Flowing Cat and a Harness Bar come to mind.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
ztrack157
Vroom Vroom Beep Beep

Drives: Powered Roller Skate
Send a message via AIM to ztrack157 Send a message via MSN to ztrack157 Send a message via Yahoo to ztrack157
Yes an affordable mid pipe that will pass smog out here in CA would be sweet.
ztrack157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
turboyaris

if thats the case, would someone mind sending me a picture of the pipe, as well as the pipe diameter that you guys would want,

for the harness bar, I'm guessing you would want a a bolt in roll cage? just a main hoop? or with a rearward support?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
bdc87
HISTORY REPEATED 11/04/08

Drives: 07' MM Vitz LB
Send a message via AIM to bdc87
For then harness bar something can bolt in, as a replacement to where the stock rear seat frame is and go up to the front seat belts a little cross brace. I'll work on it latter and send a PS image to help explain and maybe you could help figure something out.

As for the mid pipe what diameter would be the best for torque? 1.75?
bdc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
harness bar, no cage. would be nice to use harnesses without installing a whole roll cage setup.

The problem with the 3-door is that you can't have passengers if there's a harness bar behind the seats -- so if it can be removable that would be a rockin' product.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #7
turboyaris

well as for the diameter it could be customizable to your exhaust, what is the outlet of the headers? and the inlet of the cat back system. no point, in going larger then those dimensions, it wouldn't bolt up you know
Old 11-12-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
yah a freaking TURBO KiT! ahhh
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
turboyaris

ok so i did a quick look up some harness bars, and yea that would be an easy product to build, and yes it would be easily removable, only take 4 bolts to remove
Old 11-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

great, are you starting tomorrow then?

I see nothing but problems with a midpipe. Either it's (1) bolt-on (header to axle-back exhaust) and you lose your cats or (2) it has to be welded in after the cats (and what performance gain could there be in that?)
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
Yes an affordable mid pipe that will pass smog out here in CA would be sweet.
No such thing can be made.

You dont have to smog your car for at least another 3 years anyway. It is 6 years from the year of purchase.

I agree with cali yaris.. don't waste your time on a midpipe.

How about an affordable alumnium undertray? That would be easy to make.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

oh I know! I deeper oil pan, so we can have bit more oil reserve!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #13
richardholdener

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatch
Odd that you should mention this-we already did a drawing for a deep-sump oilpan with a sandwich windage tray and extension for the oil pick up but thoght no one would be interested. The pan had a provision for an oil drain for servicing, a return (for turbo) and a fitting for a temp sending unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
oh I know! I deeper oil pan, so we can have bit more oil reserve!
richardholdener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #14
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
yeah i agree on the oil pan idea top notch especially for turbo kit plumbing with these small pans and barely no where to tap...

^^^beat me to it!
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:00 AM   #15
ztrack157
Vroom Vroom Beep Beep

Drives: Powered Roller Skate
Send a message via AIM to ztrack157 Send a message via MSN to ztrack157 Send a message via Yahoo to ztrack157
I got one then since the mid pipe is a crap shoot. An intake that is not ridiculously over priced. If you could manage to Make one in the $400.00-$500.00 range or even cheaper rather then the $700.00 one I'm sure you wouldn't be able to keep them in stock. I'm making my own since I have the tools to do so I just need to get off my ass and finish overhauling the engine on my plane first.
ztrack157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:11 AM   #16
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Or... A rear wheel conversion <3

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:35 AM   #17
turboyaris

by the intake i guess you are referring to an intake manifold? I had originally designed one that could be sold for less then 700 but it was mainly for turbo. Several attempts were made to design one for a n/a setup, but the problem is, that there wouldnt be enough performance gains to benefit the cost. The best I have ever seen in an n/a setup was like a 5hp difference. The thing you have to remember is that the intake manifold through toyota has had plenty of time in the engineering phase, giving you the best performance/ fuel efficiency, so you aren't really going to out engineer Toyota. For the turbos, they would benefit from an intake manifold with shorter runners and a larger throttlebody from a scion tc, as I had made before.

as for a rear wheel conversion, do you mean rear wheel drive? I dont think anyone has enough money to do that... and i'm not sure why you would want to do that for the cost, the engine bay is too small to put in a rwd engine and trans.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:38 AM   #18
turboyaris

for the mid pipe with the high flow cat, most modern cars have a very high flow/ efficent cat, i'm not sure why you couldnt make one as you guys seem to think, I guess I would have to see a picture of the midpipe or whatever, but also if they do have a high flow cat as I'm sure they do i don't think a mid pipe would do much.