Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
extremez31

Drives: not an owner
About to pull the trigger, any insight?

Hey everyone,

Over the past 2 weeks, i have been reading pretty much all the content on this forum. So I know the yaris is a reliable car but i still have a few questions.

I've found a 2008 Yaris S with manual trans 57k miles for $9,500 out the door. Includes Tax, fees etc. It has the skirts, spoilers, fog lights, power windows, doors and keyless entry. One thing hat strikes me odd is in the center console there is a "illumination" button, when its on the foot well glows a slight blue.

The car has 2 small scratches and 3 small dings. typical damage for a used car. Carfax is clear of accidents.

It drives ok, squeaks here and there but nothing major. interior smells like it was smoked in and the drivers door has a rattle when slammed shut.

Dealer agreed to fix the rattle and provide me with a new cabin air filter.

Thats everything, any thoughts on the deal?
extremez31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Sounds a bit high to me. I payed $5900. for my 08 2dr with 80k miles. plus tax and tags.
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That does sound like a full retail price.

With the illumination button, the car likely has the footwell lighting accessory, which was an OEM accessory.

If your a non-smoker, then that smell will be tough to get rid of. With the cloth and foam of the interior smoke odor really penetrates. Changing the cabin air filter (an $8 part if not bought from the dealer) will not help. A full interior shampoo and detailing would be more in order.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

If your a non-smoker, then that smell will be tough to get rid of. With the cloth and foam of the interior smoke odor really penetrates. Changing the cabin air filter (an $8 part if not bought from the dealer) will not help. A full interior shampoo and detailing would be more in order.
^^^^^ This. This is one reason I always get new cars for a DD.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
You wont get rid of the cigarette smell but you will get used to it over time.
Before buying i'd have an independent mechanic give the car a once over just to make sure its not been in a wreck or a hurricane, I also wouldnt put too much faith in a carfax report..
You may have some one in your area who will give a pre purchase mechanical inspection of the car and will have the convenience of being mobile. you can search out more like this one.
http://www.lemonprotector.com/area.html
If the dealer has a problem with an independent pre purchase mechanical inspection dont buy the car..
Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 AM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You wont get rid of the cigarette smell but you will get used to it over time.
SOME people will get used to it over time .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
To get rid of the smell, you probably first need to clean all the interior surfaces. You will be amazed at how much gunk will wipe off. Upholstery cleaner on the seats and carpet cleaner, will do wonders, too.

However, you may still have a lingering faint smell, especially noticible in the summer with the windows rolled up after sitting in the sun. I think it is some kind of out-gassing effect or something like that.

I have seen crumpled up newspapers wadded under seats, changed periodically, which absorb odors. I also have a friend who puts coffee grounds in his car on weekends, which also absorb odors. His car always smells like a coffee shop. He goes so far as to sometimes have roast of the day. Yeah, well...

Online, I read about charcoal briquetts, as well as white vinegar, but have no experience with those.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
or the classic, baking soda.

But you should definitely negotiate the price down some, and make them get the interior professionally shampooed and cleaned. Frankly, the dealership not doing that is them being amazingly lazy.