Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Is there more to the '16 Yaris?

Was just on FuelEconomy.gov and noticed this:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Power...is&srchtyp=ymm

Bad info? Or is there more to the '16 Yaris we don't know about? Toyota's media site doesn't list anything about a 6MT, a 6AT, or fuel economy ratings of up to 42 MPG.

Could be bad info ...

EDIT: Upon further research, it appears the first two numbers are for the Scion iA, which is sold as a Yaris Sedan in Canada. I bet that's it. Perhaps Toyota federalized the iA as a Yaris sedan at one point? Maybe they just messed up.

Last edited by Thirty-Nine; 10-02-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
M4One

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
The all new sedan sold if Canada is based off the Mazda 2, no? I gotta to say it looks much better than the hatchback. http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehic...sedan/overview
M4One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #3
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4One View Post
The all new sedan sold if Canada is based off the Mazda 2, no? I gotta to say it looks much better than the hatchback. http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehic...sedan/overview
Yes, based of the Mazda2. And while I am not a huge fan of the '15-'16 Yaris hatchback front end, I am less of a fan of the Mazda2/Yaris Sedan/Scion iA sedan's front end.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:11 PM   #4
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Love the look of the 15 and 16 Yaris. All of it. I've always loved European looking cars, and that exactly what the Yaris is. Designed and manufactured in France. I had an 11 Yaris, and now a 15. No comparison in looks and interior appointments. Everything in my 15 Yaris SE feels tight and well built. And the ride feels great. This car is every bit as comfortable as my 13 Avalon Limited. The Yaris seats are very comfortable as well.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #5
YarTed

Drives: 2015 Yaris 5Dr
My thoughts, I don't expect any 6 speeds in the 2016 Yaris HB. So am thinking the above info is wrong. The 6 speeds ( Auto & MTM ) are for the Mazda based Yaris sedan. I think the sedan looks OK, but I really like my 2015 Yaris HB .I am in agreement with the previous post. The engine, trans, the look, ride,feel and its ability to haul stuff around, make it a great car to own. Its a well put together car, that's built to last and give trouble free driving. I just put some new wheels on it and it looks alright. Its not a sports car , but I do have mint 87 MR2 as well.
YarTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:40 PM   #6
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHILLSGUY View Post
Love the look of the 15 and 16 Yaris. All of it. I've always loved European looking cars, and that exactly what the Yaris is. Designed and manufactured in France. I had an 11 Yaris, and now a 15. No comparison in looks and interior appointments. Everything in my 15 Yaris SE feels tight and well built. And the ride feels great. This car is every bit as comfortable as my 13 Avalon Limited. The Yaris seats are very comfortable as well.
I totally agree, though my ride quality suffers a bit on some of the horribly built/maintained roads here in Phoenix on the SE tires/suspension. On smoother, well-built roads, the car feels great though. The 2015 SE seats are nothing short of spectacular as far as I am concerned - in terms of looks, feel/texture, snugness, and comfort. The SE in particular delivers more driver satisfaction, unassuming refinement and simple elegance than anything near its price point. I can't think of any other new car that I would rather be driving right now - even including cars that cost twice as much. It's the type of simple, well-built car that I happen to prefer, both in form and function.

Angry Squirrel face front-end (2015 Yaris SE) >>> Angry/Depressed Trout face front-end (2016 Scion iA).

The info presented above looks like specs for the Mazda2 - aka the Scion iA (USA) / Yaris Sedan (Canada). The only thing really new for the 2016 Yaris hatchback is that weird-looking two-tone paint job that they are introducing. I was expecting some different alloys for the SE as well, but the pics I have seen thus far of the 2016 two-tone has them wearing the same alloys as the 2015 SE.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4One View Post
We got one at our shop and its just a re-badged Mazda in my opinion a disgrace to the Yaris and bloody ugly in every way and priced at Corolla range.

Honestly bad move on Toyotas part.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #8
BLKHILLSGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
We got one at our shop and its just a re-badged Mazda in my opinion a disgrace to the Yaris and bloody ugly in every way and priced at Corolla range.

Agreed. Toyota DOESN'T need Mazda's help to build a spectacular small car. It's what they have done for decades. The only problem is Toyota has become so big that they want to focus in their bigger money maker vehicles like GM and Ford. It's a damn shame. I would never pay a Toyota price for Mazda underpinnings. Absolutely not. And I have nothing against Mazda either. I just think Toyota is being a lazy azz who doesn't want to compete with Hyundai and Kia in those classes. In a Kia or Hyundai they will give you extra features like heated front and rear seats that Toyota will not do. And the dumb buyers fall for that hogwash and buy from Kia and Hyundai, and get a horrid resale and a questionable quality vehicle. Not my cup of tea. I research EVERYTHING I buy and I do an exhaustive search. People in this class of car don't do that. This is a disposable culture we live in. The next generation wants cheap, not long lasting, whereas I will cry once over the price of a car and then be happier than hell that it will last me decades. Most consumers aren't like that anymore. If it breaks, I'll just buy another one. That's their mentality.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #9
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post

Quote:
Agreed. Toyota DOESN'T need Mazda's help to build a spectacular small car. It's what they have done for decades. The only problem is Toyota has become so big that they want to focus in their bigger money maker vehicles like GM and Ford. It's a damn shame. I would never pay a Toyota price for Mazda underpinnings. Absolutely not. And I have nothing against Mazda either. I just think Toyota is being a lazy azz who doesn't want to compete with Hyundai and Kia in those classes. In a Kia or Hyundai they will give you extra features like heated front and rear seats that Toyota will not do. And the dumb buyers fall for that hogwash and buy from Kia and Hyundai, and get a horrid resale and a questionable quality vehicle. Not my cup of tea. I research EVERYTHING I buy and I do an exhaustive search. People in this class of car don't do that. This is a disposable culture we live in. The next generation wants cheap, not long lasting, whereas I will cry once over the price of a car and then be happier than hell that it will last me decades. Most consumers aren't like that anymore. If it breaks, I'll just buy another one. That's their mentality.
Agree
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #10
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
No, Toyota doesn't need Mazda's help. But it's probably far less expensive to for Toyota to do this than come up with its own vehicle. Plus, the iA is produced in North America, so it's cheaper to build.

Most Mazdas I've driven are much more entertaining to drive than most Toyotas I've driven. The previous Mazda2 was was a great little car; the Mazda3 has a fantastic chassis, etc., etc. I've always said every Mazda has a little Miata in it—and that's a very good thing! Mazda still has a great reputation for quality and longevity, as well.

Hyundai and Kia also have come a heck of a long way in terms of quality, performance, and technology. They are making world-class cars these days.

Despite the Yaris' revised front end, the car is essentially 10 years old. The Yaris is old tech; dependable old tech, but long in the tooth, nonetheless. And dealers (and the manufacturer) have very little incentive to push the Yaris for sales. They only make a couple hundred bucks on each one. With the Scion iA, they load them up from the factory, jack up the price, offer a boatload of accessories, and can make more off the car.

My 2007 Yaris has been a fantastic car and I still very much enjoy it. That being said, there are a lot of attractive competitors out there with more features, more power, more fuel economy, and more of a fun-to-drive factor.

Just my two cents.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:14 PM   #11
docB

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
The Canadian Yaris sedan is a Scion Ia in the states. as thirty-nine said.
doc
docB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:46 PM   #12
BLKHILLSGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by docB View Post
The Canadian Yaris sedan is a Scion Ia in the states. as thirty-nine said.
doc
That's what I heard. I feel quite blessed that I got one of the last 2 model years of actual Toyota made Yaris. That's why I bit when I did.