Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Drives: '09 Tacoma | '90 Tercel
Two DIY wiring requests.

These should be somewhat simple, but are beyond me. First, I'd like to know what it takes to take a '10 3 door and wire in completely factory fogs, down to the stalk - like on the old man's Rav4 - if possible. And should that be the case, I'd like to know how to wire them so that they activate SEPARATE FROM EVERYTHING ELSE - in both '87 Supras and in the Rav4, the fogs only operate when the low beams are in use. Nothing in highbeam, and not with the parking lights. Kind of silly, because in foggy or whiteout conditions, all the headlights do is blind you more anyways. I'm assuming the Yaris' factory wiring is set up the same way.

Second request should be less tricky, but more practical. How can I rewire my 12V socket so that it's constantly on, the way they SHOULD be? I hate having my phone die in the middle of work, then have to turn on the ignition and LEAVE MY CAR WITH THE KEYS IN IT UNLOCKED just to charge it - especially at my particular job, where there's lots of exposure to random customers.

Searched 'cigarette lighter' and turned up 0 relevant results. Maybe you guys can help.
Midnight Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The DIY for the MicroImage Fog Light kit shows the wiring between the fogs and the connector in the under hood fuse panel. Do that under the hood, and then on the inside, add the fog light relay (also shown in the DIY). Install the replacement stalk, and you would then be done for normal operation. To allow the fogs to run with the parking, lows and highs, Snip the wire in pin 4 (on your 2010 I believe that wire will be white instead of orange), cap off the harness side, and connect the connector side to the white wire in pin 13.

For the lighter one, look at my remote start DIY and connect the gray wire from the outlet to the constant power. Add a 15A in-line fuse between the tap point and the outlet.