Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2014, 10:40 PM   #19
Zombiesrock

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue
So, should I go ahead and replace the mount? When do they usually go out? I figure i have to start doing one thing at a time to narrow it down, and I figure the tranny, if it is the issue, will be more costly, and probably something I cannot figure out how to do at home. I will try to post a video tomorrow, and get sound too. I will also check for (fingers crossed) a rock wedged between the chassis and transmission. (not really sure what i am looking for there, but i figure if i find a rock anywhere around the tranny that might be it). When getting replacement parts i usually get them from toyota, when i bought the mount (the torque dampener?) from NAPA, it wouldnt even fit in the spot where the toyota one came out of. So if there is another brand that actually gets it right and is cheaper that would be awesome
Zombiesrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiesrock View Post
So, should I go ahead and replace the mount? When do they usually go out? I figure i have to start doing one thing at a time to narrow it down, and I figure the tranny, if it is the issue, will be more costly, and probably something I cannot figure out how to do at home. I will try to post a video tomorrow, and get sound too. I will also check for (fingers crossed) a rock wedged between the chassis and transmission. (not really sure what i am looking for there, but i figure if i find a rock anywhere around the tranny that might be it). When getting replacement parts i usually get them from toyota, when i bought the mount (the torque dampener?) from NAPA, it wouldnt even fit in the spot where the toyota one came out of. So if there is another brand that actually gets it right and is cheaper that would be awesome
Someone else on here recently purchased an aftermarket one of the large round mounts and it turned out to not have the hydraulic dampening, but rather acts like a solid mount, so I would be careful with aftermarket ones.

I have a good OEM one of the hydraulic mounts that I could do $50+shipping for. If you bought it and it did not help the problem, I would be willing to take it back and refund all but the shipping cost.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:51 PM   #21
Zombiesrock

Oh my! That would be awesome! The one i bought from napa that i didn't need was 129.00 dollars. (they let me return it) . We are still talking about the big beastly one on the passenger side of the car right?
And how would I pay you for it?
Old 04-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Oh my! That would be awesome! The one i bought from napa that i didn't need was 129.00 dollars. (they let me return it) . We are still talking about the big beastly one on the passenger side of the car right?
And how would I pay you for it?
Correct - That's the one. It actually weighs 7 lbs.

PM me your zip code and I will check the shipping cost. Paypal is typically the easiest method of payment. If that works for you, I can email you a paypal invoice.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #23
Zombiesrock

Ok so I have my two videos. The first is when the engine is in neutral, the second when it is in drive. I had to use a chip bowl to capture the shaking, Iphones aren't high def enough on their own to pick it up. The sound you hear in the first one is a drill in the back ground, so disregard. I moved my phone around on the second one so you could hear the clackedy I was talking about. I picked up the bowl so you would hear the right sound. Also I tried to capture the engine mount that is in question, so maybe if it looks wrong you guys would see it :)

http://youtu.be/AiYE3c05OIg
http://youtu.be/XLkY_vwMBlo
Old 04-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Hmmmm. The engine sounds the same in both, but she's definitely slinging that bowl with the tranny in gear. I am still not sure if it is a lack of dampening or something else.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #25
Zombiesrock

Well, once I get the mount replaced, and check for a rock, and change my spark plugs this weekend I can eliminate those being an issue. What in the world can make a transmission make an engine do that? It doesn't ever feel like there are issues with that, but then again SOMETHING is making that engine shake and my whole car with it.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #26
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Well, once I get the mount replaced, and check for a rock, and change my spark plugs this weekend I can eliminate those being an issue. What in the world can make a transmission make an engine do that? It doesn't ever feel like there are issues with that, but then again SOMETHING is making that engine shake and my whole car with it.
Does you feel it even when you're moving or just when stopped?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #27
Zombiesrock

when i am driving the car seems fine, i only feel it when i am stopped, and now I just throw my car in neutral all the time because its annoying.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #28
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
when i am driving the car seems fine, i only feel it when i am stopped, and now I just throw my car in neutral all the time because its annoying.
OK. In that case it really could be the dampening as the engine basically acts like a mechanical gyroscope and becomes more stable at speed.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #29
Zombiesrock

So it was the mount. It barely vibrates now:) thank goodness!
Old 04-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #30
frambach

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Wow, that is the strangest little symptom! Who'd thunk (other than CTScott) that it was an engine mount.

I know it had me perplexed. Thanks for sharing and glad you got it straightened/figured out.
frambach is offline   Reply With Quote