Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
RutherfordmanX

Drives: 2017 Yaris Hatchback
Rear shoe replacement questions

I need to replace my rear shoes on my Yaris. I think I let them go too long this time (yes I hear a noise unfortunately). I have done this once already with no issue but I have a stubborn drum this time to get off and I don't want to break anything trying to get it off. Can you access an adjuster thru the backing plate and loosen the shoes prior to removing the drum? If so which way do you turn the adjuster to loosen? Not sure if the Yaris has this feature and I am afraid my shoes have worn to the point where there is a lip which may make it difficult to get the drum off or/and the drum is rusted on. I have the correct bolts to thread into the drum that back it off but once again I don't want to force it and break anything. At over 300,000 miles things in there may be getting worn (you think?) Any other words of wisdom on the rear drum brake job would be appreciated. It has been awhile since I have pulled them off and I may have forgotten something (old timers disease you know). Thanks for the help!
RutherfordmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Yes, you can loosen the shoes from the little access hole. Turning the adjuster Down expands the shoes and up loosens them.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:35 AM   #3
RutherfordmanX

Great. Thanks! Sometimes if you don't know which way to go with it you can be there awhile trying to figure it out. Other than the brakes the Yaris is going strong doing its 180 mile round trip commute about five days a week:)
Old 11-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
On real stubborn drums I have knocked in a wheel stud to use a pick to hold the lever that touches the adjusting wheel, makes it easy to adjust the brakes down.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
RutherfordmanX

Threaded bolts worked great. Popped the stubborn drum right off. Found them at Lowe's and well worth the buck or two they cost. Waited too long to do the shoes on one side so time for a new drum. I kinda figured this though as it had been making noise.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:02 AM   #6
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
^ What Rutherfordman said.

When I wanted to adjust my shoes/handbrake my left drum would not release from the back plate, I wasn't going to bang away on it till it came free.

Got a couple of bolts, turned them each ever so slightly to keep the pressure as even as possible, when it finally let go it sounded like a rifle shot.

cheers.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
The threaded bolt works great. The problem usually causing the stuck on drum in that a lip is made on the edge of the drum causing it to catch on the shoes. Also the rust build up causes it to seize.

I remove my drums at least once every year, if not twice and I adjust the pad adjuster and sand the lip down using an air grinder.

I recently painted the inside and outside of my drums to help stop the rusting (obviously sisn't paint brake surface).
Old 11-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #8
RutherfordmanX

Uhhh, did not have the lip problemI would have needed to have actual material on the shoe Yea I toasted the drum and was smart enough to know better. October down here in the Southern Appalachians is when I head out each weekend camping and enjoying the fall colors before everything dies, the temperature dives and you hibernate with the black bears. Forgive me Yaris for I have sinned